Think "Elton John"
Oct 17th, 2005 at 5:33pm

Saturday

saturday

saturday
saturday

saturday

i get to go pick up my lathe on....

yep, you guessed it... SATURDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I probably won't get to even put it together until Sunday, but that's cool... at least it will be here!!!

I hope my wife will let me put it together in the Dining Room???!!!

shucky ducky,,,,, i cannot stand the anticipation... i gotta get that grinder and wolverine though..... oh man, im talkin to myself again...

can anyone tell me what over the counter sleeping meds they used while waiting for their Lathe??!!  just joking... i have some Herbal meds that work pretty well...

my heart rate goes up when i think about turning...

i bet i put at least 30 hours a week in on that bad boy for a couple of months!!!  i bet i quit shaving, just to have that few extra minutes on the lathe!!

look out y'all,,,  i got somethin to prove!!!

IP Logged

Negeltu

Re: Think "Elton John"
Reply #1 - Oct 17th, 2005 at 5:56pm

lol...  I'm happy for ya...  Just try not to let your excitement get you injured while turning.  Stay alert. Keep your hands/fingers out of the gap between the toolrest and spinning wood.  Watch out for sharp edges(they can slice you to the bone).  Don't wrap cloth around your fingers when applying finish to wood.  When you hollow take the tailstock center out(trust me from experience...your elbow will appreciate it.).  DON'T sand in the top right of the interior of a bowl (Unless you want a broken or dislocated finger Sad  ).   I'm sure there are others, but...hehe... you'll figure them out by doing I imagine.

Ezridaeus  
IP Logged

E. Bud Gillaspie
WR Addict

Where'd I put that round
tuit?

Reply #2 - Oct 17th, 2005 at 6:11pm

Jr., what makes you think you have "...something to prove?" All you have to do is learn & turn. If you learn well then you'll turn well. Turning is, for me, a balm. Each of us, you included, turn wood for different reasons but trying to "prove" something is not one of them.

I've a feeling that you're gonna jump in before you test the water. That's your choice but at least jump in at the shallow end. One can get hurt turning wood as almost everyone here can atest. BE CAREFUL!

One more thing, read the instruction manual that comes w/the lathe. If you don't get the manual w/the lathe then go to the website of the mfgr and download one and read it.

E. Bud Gillaspie Umpqua Turning Club

IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Oct 17th, 2005 at 7:23pm

Is Elton John a woodturner?
I know you are excited, but don't allow that the cloud your judgment. If "something" is trying tell you that you should worry about what you are doing on the lathe or grinder, LISTEN TO IT and stop. Figure out why you feel that way and you may learn a valuable lesson without hurting yourself. Have fun!

IP Logged

junior
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Oct 17th, 2005 at 8:35pm

dont worry guys, i have a very profound appreciation for tools, especially dangerous ones...

i am a tradesman, and tools are my life... i have a wood flooring cutter that, in the wrong situation, could chop your fingers off like a hot knife through butter.

My carpet knife is a double edged razor knife. I wear a few scars from it. almost every tool i use on a daily basis could, in the wrong situation, ruin your life... if not take it completely.

here are my plans... just to sooth everyones concerns...

1. get my lathe...
2. WAIT until i get a grinder, and sharpening jig.
3. turn a piece of firewood into dust.
4. try to make a top.
5. another piece of firewood into toothpicks.
6. try another top.
7. more toothpicks...

etc. etc. etc.

i will probably do this until i make the firewood look so pretty, that i cannot force myself to turn it into a dowel again.

as of right now, i have little interest in turning anything bigger than about 8 inches in length, and maybe 2, or 3 inches round.

My local turning club doesn't seem to be very organized... at least on the internet, and it is a little bit of a drive for me. I will make a guest appearance at the next meeting, and get that ball rolling...

I plan to take some classes, but that will have to wait a little while. the expense of setting up doesnt allow for classes, so i gotta do it the Smith Barney way... I gotta earn it.

I am so excited that i found this place, it isnt real!!! i now realize how much goes into turning... it is logically impossible to just "go buy a lathe and start turning".

I have a video on the way right now.. and the book that goes with it!! I am hoping that will help me out.. It is a book/video set that was recomended (sp) for beginners.

IP Logged

Negeltu

Reply #5 - Oct 17th, 2005 at 10:01pm

Wink

Ezridaeus  
IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #6 - Oct 17th, 2005 at 10:50pm

I know of one necessary item that every one has missed so far.  Make sure your accident/health insurance is paid up to date.  I know from personal experience that wood working tools can be unpredictable.  Had 2 surgeries on my right hand and 6 month of therapy after a minor disagreement with a table saw. Embarrassed  And yes I am still right handed.

JimQ

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Jeff Matter

I got a new lathe for
my wife!! Good trade
eh?

Reply #7 - Oct 18th, 2005 at 3:05pm

True That Jim!!,
  Junior, just dont let that enthusiasam (sp?) and excitement distracted you from the saftey aspect. Like Gil said...if it doesnt feel right......dont do it. I'm still new to turning and have felt that feeling before.only becuz I remember a bad experience when I presented the tool at that angle or held the sandpaper up there in the top right corner!!.............. If I may add to that.........Sometimes it may not feel "wrong" ..........becuz you havent done it yet!!
  Dont wanna see yur first pics posted in the "oops" gallery!!  Heheh
  Cant wait till I get to "wait" for a new lathe!!

IP Logged

kidcolombia

Preferiria  estar torneando!!

Reply #8 - Oct 18th, 2005 at 4:59pm

Junior, do pay attention to EVERYTHING these guys wrote, and then, as a special favor, please explain the reference to that British guy...

JIM

IP Logged

junior
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Oct 18th, 2005 at 9:28pm

referance to that british guy??? you mean Elton John???

He has a song called "Saturday Night" or something to that effect...

IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

Formerly Nappen who said...Sleep
is for wimps

Reply #10 - Oct 19th, 2005 at 3:02am

And, move the tool rest AWAY when sanding. perfect place for the turning to throw your hand between or against.

I was feeling left out Wink

I'm not addicted to coffee, it just keeps the headaches away.

IP Logged

Bob Hampton

stress releif "let the
chips fly"

Reply #11 - Nov 23rd, 2005 at 2:23pm

lol and I thought I was bad about this woodturning thing!!!!
  Hey JR if you have a grinder at all you can make the homemade version of the wolverine in about an hr and save yourself over $100.00.
  Several plans for it on the internet and works very well ...I have used mine for about 6 months now and never a problem...just spent that $ on other tools is all!...lol

Bob
Bob Hampton  
IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Reply #12 - Nov 23rd, 2005 at 9:29pm

Speaking of the Wolverine, it's on sale this week at Rockler for $49!!!  (at least at my store it is)  I couldn't resist and went and bought the basic set + an extra platform sor I can freehand at either wheel.

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

junior
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Nov 23rd, 2005 at 10:17pm

man that's messed up. the woodcraft flyer i got today is selling the grinder i paid $100.00 for, for like 50 dollars.

i also paid full price for my wolverine when i picked it up at woodcraft (the same day i got my grinder!!)

this is apparently a hobby that you gotta watch for the sales!!

I also realized how right you guys were about alot of the topics you helped me with while i was waiting for my lathe.

IP Logged

jprosise

Reply #14 - Nov 25th, 2005 at 6:34am

Whether you get your equipment on sale or not, this is NOT a cheap hobby!  Well worth the money, though.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print