Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Photography Question
Oct 18th, 2005 at 4:31pm

I have been trying to take new pics of my stuff for the calendar postings and I have even gone to the trouble of getting a psuedo tent booth set up and it seems to be working well but all the pics I have been taking are half in half out of focus usually the front is out of focus.  Is there a trick to getting the entire piece in focus?

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Negeltu

Re: Photography Question
Reply #1 - Oct 18th, 2005 at 4:52pm

What kind of camera are you using?

Ezridaeus  
IP Logged

E. Bud Gillaspie
WR Addict

Where'd I put that round
tuit?

Reply #2 - Oct 18th, 2005 at 5:02pm

Without knowing what camera you're using, all I can say is BACK OFF. In most cases the closer you are to the subject the less depth of field you will have. Also use a tripod to support the camera, if you have one.

E. Bud Gillaspie Umpqua Turning Club

IP Logged

Negeltu

Reply #3 - Oct 18th, 2005 at 5:35pm

Yes, a good suggestion.  However if you are using a digital camera also try switching to macro(if it has the feature)...  and also try changing your lighting so that the background is not lit as brightly as the piece you are trying to photograph.

Ezridaeus  
IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #4 - Oct 18th, 2005 at 6:03pm

I am using a SONY 3.3 Megapixel model DSC-S75 Digital Camera and I am using a tripod.  I was staying back and zooming in but only seem to be able to zoom in so far.  I haven't tried the Macro function yet (if it has one, I still need to find out).
« Last Edit: Oct 18th, 2005 at 6:05pm by Philip Peak »  

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Negeltu

Reply #5 - Oct 18th, 2005 at 7:44pm

Well... I would definitely try the macro function.  Smiley

Ezridaeus  
IP Logged

Jonathon

A collector - DEFINITELY
not a turner!

Reply #6 - Oct 18th, 2005 at 11:19pm

Whoa - something I know a little about - makes a change!!!!

OK - so the problem you are having is depth of field which is particularly common with digital lenses.

The following suggestions ..

a) shoot in Aperture priority mode - and set the aperture number as HIGH as you can.  This will maximise how much is in focus.
b) if you do the above then you should also use a tripod as without this you get the problem of camera shake at the slower shutter speeds you will be using.
c) macro is great - for detail however usually has a shallow depth of field (depending on the lens of course)
d) use a focal length as wide as you can without getting distortion.  As lenses get wider, the depth (DOF) gets bigger.

It comes down to a balancing act between focal length, aperture, shutter speed and diameter of piece.

You might also like to consider some post processing "Unsharpen Mask" in Photoshop if you have it.

Oh and make sure that your white balance is set for the type of lights you are using.

Hope this helps

Jonathon

The Daniel Collection of fine turned wood&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Jonathon

A collector - DEFINITELY
not a turner!

Reply #7 - Oct 21st, 2005 at 11:48pm

Well that seemed to have killed the thread effectively!

I would also add that when focusing, focus on the nearest edge to the camera, then the farthest edge - and then refocus for somewhere in the middle.  This way you will maximise the benefit of the depth of field and get the largest % of the piece within it and in focus.

Hope this doesnt confuse further.

Jonathon

The Daniel Collection of fine turned wood&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #8 - Oct 22nd, 2005 at 4:30am

Jonathon
  I went looking for some of the things you mentioned earlier and I could not locate them anywhere.  I even consulted the owners manual and there was nothing.  I do appreciate the help though.  I haven't figured out if it is possible to manually focus the camera yet, I haven't looked in the manual for that yet. 
  I took some other pictures with a little bit different setup than I had the first time and even though they aren't great, the pics are better than last time, the difference being more light and the angle at which I was able to take the pictures. 
  Have you ever gone to WR's photo sharing area and looked around?  There are some really nice pieces there.

WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Jonathon

A collector - DEFINITELY
not a turner!

Reply #9 - Oct 22nd, 2005 at 12:02pm

I will check the gallery out - but light volume and angle is also a key component.

What you can use on a camera varies from equipment to equipment.

Looking at the review of the camera on the Dpreview site, the "A" on the top dial is the Aperture setting - that should be your starting point.  Set it to this, make the number as large as possible and see if that helps with getting the whole piece in focus.

Let me know if I can help further - but as any photographer will tell you, you can read all the theory you can find but there is no substitute for practice.

Jonathon
« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2005 at 3:23pm by Jonathon »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print