Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Collars for hollow vessels. (Read 1,723 times)

jprosise

Collars for hollow vessels.
Oct 19th, 2005 at 12:55pm

Hey Yall! (obviously from the south).  If you look at my gallery you will see that i turn mostly hollow forms.  I notice that a lot of turners include a collar from a different wood in some of their turnings.  I would love to try this but have never attempted.  Can anyone give a high level overview of how to achieve this?  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Jerry from Nashville

IP Logged

paulporter

So many trees, so little
time!

Re: Collars for hollow vessels.
Reply #1 - Oct 19th, 2005 at 1:25pm

Hmmm, where do I start.  I make two kinds of collars, a simple ring type and a cap type.  The ring type is basically a ring with a rabbet that fits tightly in the opening of the vessel.  The hardest part is making the tight fit.  You kinda have to sneak up on it.  I try to get it tight enough so I have to sand the vessel opening a little to get a perfect fit.  Check out my website to see the types of collars I make.  And like everything else, practice makes perfect.  If you don't like the first one you make, then make another one.  Sometimes I end up making two or three collars for a piece before I'm satisfied with the look.  As a result, I have a box full of spare collars.

I make my collars seperate from the vessel.  And only attach it after they are finished and buffed.  It's just the look I like.

Hope this was not to confusing.

~Paul  Wink
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
« Last Edit: Oct 20th, 2005 at 7:36am by paulporter »  

"Now, if I only had a silencer for my chainsaw...my neighbors trees would be in grave danger."
IP Logged

jprosise

Reply #2 - Oct 19th, 2005 at 2:32pm

Do you use a glue block as a chuck?  I just dont see how you get the rabbet and the outside done at once.  Do you turn the rabbet, attach it to the vessell and then turn the outside and make the opening?

IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #3 - Oct 19th, 2005 at 3:30pm

My Guess, or at least what I woudl try to do, woudl be to turn the rabbitt to fit my opening then use the rabbitt as the tenon to finish the other side.  That is if your using a chuck.

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

paulporter

So many trees, so little
time!

Reply #4 - Oct 19th, 2005 at 3:51pm

Quote:
My Guess, or at least what I woudl try to do, woudl be to turn the rabbitt to fit my opening then use the rabbitt as the tenon to finish the other side.  That is if your using a chuck.

You are you are right Phil, I turn the rabbet first.  If you miss the fit, you can start over.  I use the rabbet as a tenon to turn the top.  These only take about 15-20 minutes to make depending on how quickly you get the fit.

I use a scroll chuck (hand tight - no bars) to hold the tenon and take light cuts with an 8th inch mini spindle gouge.  It also helps to have a very thin parting tool.  Like the "Chris Stott" style.  I can try to post a photo when I get home tonight.

"Now, if I only had a silencer for my chainsaw...my neighbors trees would be in grave danger."
IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Oct 19th, 2005 at 4:49pm

Thank you, Paul.

IP Logged

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

Reply #6 - Oct 19th, 2005 at 4:54pm

Paul's method probably gives a more finished look to the collar and I plan to try it. But what I've done in the past is to turn the rabbet or tenon, glue it into the hollow form and then turn the outside or top and the hole while it's glued on the hollow form. It can give the impression (at least to those that are not woodturners) that you hollowed the vessel thru a very small opening. Wink
« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2005 at 4:55pm by Curt Fuller »  

Never miss a good chance to shut up.

IP Logged

paulporter

So many trees, so little
time!

Reply #7 - Oct 19th, 2005 at 9:12pm

These photos will give you some idea how I go about making collars.

This is a ring collar profile.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

This is a cap collar profile.

This is a cap collar back.

This is a profile of a collar with a spout.

Give it a shot...they are fun to do.

IP Logged

jprosise

Reply #8 - Oct 20th, 2005 at 4:27am

You guys are awsome!  Thanks for the help. 

Jerry

IP Logged

Rick in Lincoln
WR Addict

keep on turnin'

Reply #9 - Oct 21st, 2005 at 8:51am

Jerry, here's an article that covers the making of collars.  It's from the WOW site.

P.S. did Paul's pictures go away, or is my browser acting up?
« Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2005 at 11:25am by Rick in Lincoln »  

A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #10 - Oct 21st, 2005 at 9:27am

your browser must be acting up, I still see them.  I cannot see the article Rick.  Need a user name and password to see it.
« Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2005 at 9:28am by Philip Peak »  

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Oct 21st, 2005 at 9:29am

Paul's pics are still there on my screen.

IP Logged

Rick in Lincoln
WR Addict

keep on turnin'

Reply #12 - Oct 21st, 2005 at 11:23am

I was afraid the article might not be available if you're not a WOW (World of Woodturners' ) member.  I'll move a copy to my space and modify my original entry.

If you're not a member of WOW, you should consider it.  It costs nothing and the members there are knowledgable and they know a lot about photography (not that we don't  Grin ).  Many of us here on WR are members.

A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #13 - Oct 21st, 2005 at 1:16pm

Rick, I know that Phil and I both were members of WoW and let it delete us.  One of the things with WoW is that if you don't log on, you get deleted.  I know that I got tired of being ignored.  Three or four times I asked questions that never got an answer  Undecided.  I know that's not everyone's experience, but it was mine.  The one benifit was that there were lots of pictures of some pretty artsy stuff.  Gave one plenty of inspiration.   8)

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Aage
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 6:43pm

I'm experimenting with putting a long neck on my hollow forms.  I've only finished one neck but liked the result. 

I created a flat seat around the opening of the hollow form. 

Then I mounted the neck part between centers, turned a tenon that was three times as long as normal, mounted it in the chuck.

I then drilled out the center of the neck piece with a forstner bit mounted in a jacobs chuck.  By sinking the drill bit through the neck and into the top part of the tenon, I was able to finish the neck in one operation. 

After shaping the spout and the neck and the collar, I turned the tenon down to the size I needed for it to slip into the hollow form (using calipers).  Finially I parted it off with my Japanese pull saw.  Since the tenon was hollow, the neck came off the lathe, ready to be mounted in the hollow form.  A wee bit of trimming, on the lathe, might be necessary but not much.

IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Los Angeles, CA, California, USA
Los Angeles, CA
California
USA

Reply #15 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 10:17pm

I turn my collars specific to the piece itself.  I turn the inside (tenon and most of the opening) then I glue it onto the piece and turn the outside.  I do it this way so I can ensure the curvature fits and flows with the piece it's meant for.  It is a bit more nerve wracking though because if you screw it up you have to take it back down to the form and true up the opening.  You can see me using this method in my primer for hollow form turning in the techniques area.
« Last Edit: Oct 31st, 2005 at 10:18pm by Chris Wright »  

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print