Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
FINALLY (Read 2,018 times)

junior
Ex Member

FINALLY
Oct 22nd, 2005 at 4:46pm

OK, so i went and got my grinder, wolverine attachment, and lathe and goodies today...

i got a super nova chuck, with three sets of jaws, woodworm, cole jaws, all the factory stuff, two tool rests, and a jet 1236...

i got it all put together, and stood there looking at this small, but obviously powerful machine. i went over everything. checked it again, looked at it, checked everything again, and decided to find some green wood.

i found a good candidate, a small piece of wood... about 2 inches around, and 6 inches long.

i got the wood in the lathe, and looked everything over again. sure that everything was tight, and ready, i stood clear, and pushed the button...

pure music. a symphony of electric motor, pulleys, and belt quietly hummed, as the wood spun ever so elegantly, just begging to be formed.

i started with a roughing gouge, to attempt to make it round. i got suprisingly close to round!!! i was so proud of myself. then i tried the spindle gouge... (i think.. im not exactly sure, i have two gouges, both the same size, but one is very deep compared to the other.) that was when the fun really started. i just started carving different depths. trying to stay relatively shallow, so i could re-round it, and go again, when my wife came out and told me to finish what i was doing with the wood because she was keeping it.

it came out suprisingly similar to a "Bishop" chess piece... purely accidental.

the tools are all "factory sharp", which isnt sharp at all. i thought they were sharp enough to start with, and really they were, but it will be WAY WAY better when i put a wicked edge on the tools!!!!!!!!

i am SO stinking hooked, it isnt funny!!! i gotta take a couple of classes to learn how to really use the tools... i don't want to havta teach myself. i can see where that would take a while.

man, how sweet. that wood was flying man, the lathe was nice and slow, but it was still flying!!!

because of this website, i got a really good deal on some really good equipment!! and a new love...

just think, i am only 30 years old... imagine all the stuff i am gonna make!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i will post pics of my first "turning" tomorrow probably...

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Re: FINALLY
Reply #1 - Oct 22nd, 2005 at 5:20pm

Factory sharp is dull! Shocked  If you notice in catalogs and web pages that sell lathe tools, they always offer "sharpening service" for a little more. Wink  Of course!  It can be a major source of added revenue.

JimQ

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Oct 22nd, 2005 at 5:24pm

Ataboy, Junior. It all starts with a single shaving of wood.
Now, open mouth and insert the hook.

IP Logged

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

Reply #3 - Oct 22nd, 2005 at 5:30pm

Congratulations Junior! You're on your way now. No turning back.

Never miss a good chance to shut up.

IP Logged

Natastic_Emerson
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Oct 22nd, 2005 at 6:06pm

Sorry Junior, but I just need to humble you and brag for myself.  It's just the way I am.

Sixteen years old and making about $450 worth of stock a month (plus rough-turning).  And that's with school, homework, a social life, and parents to yell at you for staying out in the garage too late.

Not that it's competition.

I remember when I first got on the lathe.  I was pumped. 

It was past 9:00 at night and below freezing; the belt on my 1236 wouldn't grip because it was too cold, so the lathe would go only about 750 rpm.  I had gone to a wooded park and illegally cut down a small yellow birch tree.  I brought the 30+ pounds wood back in a backpack (while on a bicycle and trying to not kill myself with the dull, 3 ft, 50 year old buck saw).  I had 3 turning tools.. a bowl gouge, a heavy duty scraper and a parting tool.  I then end-grain turned a bowl using only the scraper.  6 inch faceplate for a 2 1/2 inch bowl.  Amazing.  The bottom didn't sit flat, because i had just parted it off and didn't know how to reverse-chuck it. I let it dry, and it didn't crack.  And that made me happy.

Us New Hampshire kids are rugged.  I look back now and say... what was I doing
Undecided

But glad you joined the team, Junior.

IP Logged

E. Bud Gillaspie
WR Addict

Where'd I put that round
tuit?

Reply #5 - Oct 22nd, 2005 at 6:09pm

I'm really  Grin for you, lad. Let the bevel rub the wood and slowly lift the handle. You're on your way to a "hobby" that will be "doable" when you're old & gray. I know several turners that are 80+ and still turning.

Now go to your local club, get some instruction in tool use, and make something pretty. You'll soon find out that the turning is only half the job. The other half is finishing=sanding and applying a protective/beautifying coating. Learning how to finish a piece will be an on-going process. I like Watco natural oil and Minwax finishing wax. There are litterally 100s of of finishes and ways to apply them. You'll eventually find the one that's right for you.

Always remember SAFETY FIRST.

E. Bud Gillaspie Umpqua Turning Club

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #6 - Oct 22nd, 2005 at 8:33pm

Bud, you forgot to mention getting the wood and getting it into a shape that it will fit on the lathe without paying an arm and a leg.

JimQ

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #7 - Oct 22nd, 2005 at 8:41pm

Remember, the most important two things to remember is 1) be careful, and 2) have fun.  The further you get into it, the more fun it can be.  8)

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

junior
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Oct 22nd, 2005 at 8:50pm

450 a month from turning is incredible, especially from a 16 year old kid!!!

maybe one day i will get to the point that someone other than my wife will want what i make..

I think i did a pretty good job keeping the bevel on the wood. the wood is kinda shiny. the feel of the tool biting at the wood was incredible. a tiny spot on the wood translates alot into the handle. like three or four times the tool seemed to fall into a "groove". meaning a couple of moments, it felt perfect, seamless.

IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #9 - Oct 22nd, 2005 at 9:33pm

Congratulations Jr. it has been a long wait.  I look forward to seeing what you come up with.  I am sending you a private message.

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Reply #10 - Oct 23rd, 2005 at 1:23am

Rock on Junior, that's how it starts.  Be safe and enjoy yourself.

Now, since I am slightly competitive and "it's just the way I am", here's a goal for you to shoot for Natastic...full time job (8 hrs + 2 hours commuting a day), dating 3 women, run this website, manage 2 others, take care of my dog, manage a busy L.A. social life, and on top of that turned & finished 3 new pieces, roughed 4 large salad bowls, worked on the carving on 2 'in process pieces' and sold over $600 in turnings....this week.  Wink

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #11 - Oct 23rd, 2005 at 1:52am

Whoa.. back up dude... 3 women?  to quote a movie line i heard today

Tell me more, tell me more!!!   Roll Eyes Wink

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

Reply #12 - Oct 23rd, 2005 at 8:29am

I sure can't top Chris or Natastic. Even reading their post makes me want to have a nap. But one thing Junior said made me want to give a little tidbit of info. You mention the way the action of the tool on the wood translates into the tool handle. Remember to keep your tool rest as close to the area of wood you're working on as possible. That little gap between rest and wood is what gives the wood leverage to work against you and the larger the gap the more leverage, less tool control, and greater the chance for a bad catch. Also, whenever you adjust the tool rest, give the wood a little turn by hand to make sure it's clearing the rest before turning the lathe on.

Never miss a good chance to shut up.

IP Logged

E. Bud Gillaspie
WR Addict

Where'd I put that round
tuit?

Reply #13 - Oct 23rd, 2005 at 9:00am

Braggards, the lotaya!  Grin

E. Bud Gillaspie Umpqua Turning Club

IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

Formerly Nappen who said...Sleep
is for wimps

Reply #14 - Oct 23rd, 2005 at 1:24pm

Yeah, try three kids, a 70 hour a week job with a 1:20 minute commute, I wife I adore, a dog, a yard, the occasional fishing or shrimping trip and this week I turned..ohhh, ummmm, yeah right.

I'm not addicted to coffee, it just keeps the headaches away.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print