Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
a whole day of (Read 2,822 times)

junior
Ex Member

a whole day of
Oct 23rd, 2005 at 6:52pm

turning and such!!!!!!!!!!

I got up, and set up my grinder, and wolverine jig. i sharpened the two tools that i could sharpen without the vari grind. then i took the scraper my set came with (at least i think it was a scraper) and turned it into a parting tool.. best move i have made yet!!! i took a tool that i was scared of, and made it one of my favorite tools so far... 

i had several WICKED catches... man that sure was fun!!! a few times it even knocked a hunk of wood out!!

i made two finger tops... one pretty good sized one, and one quite small one.  both out of two year seasoned firewood!!

i tried to make a small goblet.. i was doing good until i got a catch, and blew out the side of the cup.

i tried to make another goblet, but the bowl gouge was very dull by that time, so i just got frustrated. i tried to grind it without a jig... another "learning experience" (fancy words for MISTAKE). 

i had some "chucking" problems. i now see the importance of a good band saw. The super nova chuck was pretty easy to use, once i figured which jaws to use, and how big to make the tenon.

i was trying to rough down a piece of dry firewood, and had a nice DEEP catch. it ripped the tool out of my hands, and then sent the tool and log (still connected to each other) flying. luckily it didnt hit me, or anyone/thing.

I didn't get the lathe out of first gear today. i started to, but when i put the tool to the wood in second gear, it scared me, so i slowed it down. My comfort was key today. getting to know the attitude of the wood, and tools together in action.

i "found" some green wood to play with, and it was REALLY FUN to turn. the ribbons floating off the edge of the gouge... amazingly beautiful!!!

My wife proudly displays the piece of wood that resembles a bishop chess piece which was my first ever turning. it looks cool. My kids are practically fighting over the big top, and the small one is mine... flat out.

i have become consumed with this wood spinning in circles!!!

the first class i am gonna take will be on how to sharpen the tools... it's a little trickier than i thought. i can do the big roughing gouge easy enough, and creating a parting tool, and sharpening it is simple.. but there are a couple of tools with pretty complex edges.

I am already breaking bad habits. at first i was holding the tools WAY too far up the handle. Once i realized there was another 10 inches of handle, i started using it. things got easier to control.

I sure am having fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lemme see if i can dig up a pic or two of what i made today!!!

IP Logged

Negeltu

Re: a whole day of
Reply #1 - Oct 23rd, 2005 at 7:06pm

I sure hope you are wearing a faceshield.

Ezridaeus  
IP Logged

junior
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Oct 23rd, 2005 at 7:32pm

oh yeah!!! my wife will not let me near the lathe without it!! and i am keeping my stock VERY SMALL. so if it does hit me, it wont be anything more than a few stitches.

IP Logged

junior
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Oct 23rd, 2005 at 7:34pm

oh yeah... i posted a couple of pics of my work so far... dont laugh to hard!!!

IP Logged

Negeltu

Reply #4 - Oct 23rd, 2005 at 7:48pm

lol Good.

Ezridaeus  
IP Logged

DerekJeffries

Reply #5 - Oct 24th, 2005 at 5:32am

Junior,

Sounds like you are having fun.  A couple things that I have learned when first starting, and you guys please correct me if I am wrong. 

On some pieces running the lathe faster will make it easier with less catches, but you have to make sure you piece is not too much out of balance.

As for holding the tool, I started out holding it at the end or at least closer to the end.  It worked out ok, but I was getting a lot of catches, cause I couldn't hold the tool steady enough when roughing out.  I then started holding the handle higher up, so that the handle rested on my forearm, for shorter tools, and on my longer tools I can tuck it into my side.  This gives me much more control. 

Also I am not sure but it sounds like you might have the toolrest too far away from the wood.  If you had enough room for the tool to get lodged in the wood.  With most tools you will want the toolrest as close as you can get it, without touching.  The scrapers are the exception to this.  Since they have to be used at a downward angle, you can back the toolrest off some.

I hope that this helps some.

krayon

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Derek Jeffries
WWW 1849929631  
IP Logged

Natastic_Emerson
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Oct 24th, 2005 at 5:54pm

Quote:
On some pieces running the lathe faster will make it easier with less catches, but you have to make sure you piece is not too much out of balance.

Eh.  I think it's debatable.  It may seem to run smoother at faster speeds, but if you're still new to turning, when you do get those catches, you get more damage than if it was at a slower speed.  Not to mention it scares the bajezzus out of you.  I've seen some people let go of gouges in scary catches.  Not cool.  I prefered starting at slower speeds, then building as I got more aware of how the tool works, for those smoother turning and cleaner cuts.

Quote:
As for holding the tool, I started out holding it at the end or at least closer to the end.  It worked out ok, but I was getting a lot of catches, cause I couldn't hold the tool steady enough when roughing out.  I then started holding the handle higher up, so that the handle rested on my forearm, for shorter tools, and on my longer tools I can tuck it into my side.  This gives me much more control. 

I think it's an issue of comfort, and how far you're over the tool rest; I hold most of my tools only by the top half of the business end.  I don't bother with holding the butt end, i feel no difference.

The one major exception is bowl gouges.  I've been told, and most definantly am an advocate for bracing the handle into your gut or hip, and sway, not moving your arms at all.  Not only does this produce more smooth, natural curves, but it does a hell of a job stabilizing the handle during those heavy rough-out cuts.

Also junior: You're scared of scrapers?!

IP Logged

junior
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Oct 24th, 2005 at 6:09pm

maybe its a skew... im not sure. all the flat tools kinda scare me.

i think i was trying to be to detailed starting out. that's why i was holding the tools so close. i was trying to just take off tiny amounts of wood. just to get the feel of the tools. when i backed my grip up some, it got more comfortable.

IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Los Angeles, CA, California, USA
Los Angeles, CA
California
USA

Reply #8 - Oct 24th, 2005 at 6:12pm

Some good advice Natastic, I agree on most points.  Especially the speed, Junior, as you witnessed, things can go wrong pretty darn quick, better to keep the speed down and use tool finese & a sharp edge to get a clean cut.  Something to remember is tool speed as well.  If you seem to be getting ahead of your cut and causing undulations, etc.  try slowing down the rate you feed the tool in relation to the lathe speed.

As for the catches, remember to run the bevel and stay above center line.  Those two things will eliminate 90% of catches.

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #9 - Oct 24th, 2005 at 8:02pm

Junior,  You probably reground your skew if it had an angled edge, the scraper has an almost square cut end, and you are going to want it one of these days.  A lot more than you are going to want 2 parting tools.

JimQ
« Last Edit: Oct 24th, 2005 at 8:04pm by JimQuarles »  

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Negeltu

Reply #10 - Oct 24th, 2005 at 9:23pm

A skewed scraper comes in handy though.  :-D  I mostly use a round nose and a skewed scraper.

Ezridaeus  
IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #11 - Oct 24th, 2005 at 10:09pm

Well it's better to be a little skewed, than skewered! Grin

JimQ

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

Formerly Nappen who said...Sleep
is for wimps

Reply #12 - Oct 25th, 2005 at 3:45am

Quote:
I think it's an issue of comfort, and how far you're over the tool rest; I hold most of my tools only by the top half of the business end.  I don't bother with holding the butt end, i feel no difference.

I think this is more an issue of geometryand physics. When you hold the tool farther out on the handle, less movement will translate into more change at the tip. If you "choke up" as it were, you have more "control" or at least your movements of the handle hand translate into less change against the wood.
If you do hang out over the tool rest, then you will need to hold farther back to balance the forces being exerted on the tool tip by the spinning wood. I think the rec is at least twice the distance on the handle side as is hanging over the tool rest. Otherwise you get a lot of pull, bounce and chatter. If you keep the rest closer to the wood, you have more freedom to move your hand to the best position on the handle for what you are doing. Ie farther out for big sweeping cuts or closer in for finer control.

My two cents anyway.  Cheesy  

« Last Edit: Oct 25th, 2005 at 3:45am by Ned A from South GA »  

I'm not addicted to coffee, it just keeps the headaches away.

IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Los Angeles, CA, California, USA
Los Angeles, CA
California
USA

Reply #13 - Oct 25th, 2005 at 5:59am

Close Natastic, it's five times the length you are hanging over.  2" overhang = 10" back from the fulcrum point.

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

Formerly Nappen who said...Sleep
is for wimps

Reply #14 - Oct 25th, 2005 at 7:18am

2, 5 whatever Grin

Actually, what I heard at a lecture was three now that I think about it. That's why all those braces and such for hollow turning I guess Roll Eyes Either way, closer is better.

I'm not addicted to coffee, it just keeps the headaches away.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print