Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Los Angeles, CA, California, USA
Los Angeles, CA
California
USA

Bob Stocksdale bowl
Oct 26th, 2005 at 6:26pm

I was talking to one of the ladies at work today that knows a bit about woodturning (from an appreciation standpoint) and she was telling me about some of the pieces she owns. Turns out she got a Bob Stocksdale salad bowl some years ago as a gift!  I asked her to bring it in so I can see it, but what a gift...I told her the bowl would probably be worth thousands now.  Can't wait to see it.

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

paulporter

So many trees, so little
time!

Re: Bob Stocksdale bowl
Reply #1 - Oct 27th, 2005 at 7:06am

Be sure to take some pitchers   Grin

"Now, if I only had a silencer for my chainsaw...my neighbors trees would be in grave danger."
IP Logged

E. Bud Gillaspie
WR Addict

Where'd I put that round
tuit?

Reply #2 - Oct 27th, 2005 at 9:43am

Yes, Chris, pictures are required. I've seen only one Stockdale bowl.

E. Bud Gillaspie Umpqua Turning Club

IP Logged

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

Reply #3 - Oct 27th, 2005 at 7:05pm

I'm probably revealing my backwards lack of sophistication but until reading these posts I had never heard of Bob Stocksdale. So I decided to google it and learn a little. I came across several very good and informative articles about him and he was a very interesting person. He actually learned woodturning while in a conscientious objectors camp during WWII. Anyway, here's a link with some photos of some of his later work.  
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Its all beautiful stuff and I'm by no means criticizing any of it. But after seeing it, does it make anyone besides me rethink the foot designs on their own bowls? They're definitely different from what I've come to know as 'correct'. Just curious.
« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2005 at 7:06pm by Curt Fuller »  

Never miss a good chance to shut up.

IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Oct 27th, 2005 at 8:26pm

Curt, I had never heard of him before either (doubt if we are alone). I found the same on-ine info that you did, and I think a smaller foot is better. No doubt there is a place for a larger/longer foot, I just am not refined enough to recognize that place, yet.

IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Los Angeles, CA, California, USA
Los Angeles, CA
California
USA

Reply #5 - Oct 27th, 2005 at 8:47pm

There is a place for it, and I have in fact turned similar bowls on one or two occassions, but I have to admit the form is an interesting one.  Bob was one of the few that have been truly able to make the overly tall foot work to the point of becoming famous for it, but all in all part of my fascination is the fact that he is one of the "god-fathers" of modern woodturning.

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

Rick in Lincoln
WR Addict

keep on turnin'

Reply #6 - Oct 28th, 2005 at 5:53am

The feet on some of his bowls were larger than what we consider 'desireable' today, but some of those works were 15-20 years old.  I think as in all things, styles come and go.

A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

IP Logged

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

Reply #7 - Oct 28th, 2005 at 12:24pm

Chris, I know what you're saying about the opportunity to see and touch the work of one of the 'old masters'. A couple summers back I visited Washington DC and the National Art Gallery, among others. I'm not much of a 'stand and appreciate the fine arts' type guy but I felt very much in awe to actually see the original works of so many famous names I'd heard. You don't forget them for sure.
As for Bob Stocksdale's work, I really like it and may even try to imitate it, at least in my own way. I was glad to learn about him too.
« Last Edit: Oct 28th, 2005 at 12:27pm by Curt Fuller »  

Never miss a good chance to shut up.

IP Logged

Keith_Bundy

Ky. turner

Reply #8 - Oct 28th, 2005 at 2:56pm

With in the last year or so there was an exhibition of Stockdales work called, Eighty - eight Bowls. There is a book of the exhibition out called, Bob Stockdale - Eighty- eight Turnings. You can find it on the Wodd Turning Centers website, Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register;   The price is $25.00 for non members and $22.00 for members

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print