Jimmy Cusic

Just a bit,  a skew!!

Garland Tx, Texas, USA
Garland Tx
Texas
USA

Dust Collectors  ???
Oct 31st, 2005 at 6:25am

Good Morning:   Does anyone have any helpful hints in regards to “Dust Collectors”??.  I don’t know much about them .  I’ve been looking at different smaller models,  Jet, Delta, Grizzly, Penn State Ind. Harbor Freight.  They all look about the same. Two bag or Canister/bag.   Looks like CFM is important too, ~1250 seem to be the norm, but some smaller units have less CFM  and less $$.  My other consideration is current draw. The lower the current draw the easier it will be on my old 20 amp circuit breaker. 
Are they really handy to have?  30 micron filter vs. 1 micron?   Is this something you get and then don’t use much?

Thanks All  jimmy c

IP Logged

tejaswood

WWW.TEJASWOOD.C OM

Re: Dust Collectors  ???
Reply #1 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 10:02am

Jimmy,
I have had the Jet single bag collector for about 3 years now. I run the thing about 5 hours per day everyday and have had no problems.

If you turn on any machine that makes sawdust then you should have your dust collector turned on as well. It's not the dust that you can see that's so harmfull, its the microscopic dust that you can't see which is getting into your lungs. I can't think of a more inportant piece of equipment in my shop. I also just installed a JDS air cleaner over the weekend. Now that winter is comming on I have to keep my shop doors closed. As a matter of fact I have been using it for the first time this morning. Wow what a difference that thing makes.

IP Logged

E. Bud Gillaspie
WR Addict

Where'd I put that round
tuit?

Reply #2 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 3:56pm

Jimmy, lad, if I had the money I think I'd buy a Grizzly G1029Z that comes w/a cyclone, 2 stage, separator. I doubt I'd buy a system w/out a separator--gets rid of the heavier chunks.

Also, if I had the money, I'd also get a G0572 filter to go with the big unit.

Don't forget you also have to buy 4" duct, adapters, shut-offs, bends, etc.

Dust traveling through a plastic/pvc duct will create a static electrical charge. You might want to think about grounding.

E. Bud Gillaspie Umpqua Turning Club

IP Logged

DMcIvor

considering turning pro

Reply #3 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 8:38pm

My advice is to get the dust collector first, then start acquiring power tools! I worked as a hobbyist woodworker without a dust collector for many, many years. Bad plan. It wasn't until I bought my first lathe that I started researching dust collection. If you poke around on the web, you quickly find that sawdust is not exactly harmless. Several sites (including AAW, as I recall) have good discussions on wood dust hazards, and I also recall OSHA classifies sawdust as a carcinogen (and not just in California, either). I was still pretty oblivious until I turned my first spalted maple bowl. For the next two weeks I was short of breath when I reached the top of one flight of stairs. If I was twice my age I might have had an excuse!

I now have a Delta 50-760, 1200 CFM. It's a small unit but very effective, and it cost me about $150. Chump change compared to a respitory illness, I'm sure. This unit is good for only one piece of equipment at a time, and because it's on wheels I just roll it from machine-to-machine. Some day I'll put in a duct system and put the collector where I don't have to listen to it.

The air cleaner is a good idea in addition to the dust collector, because as tejaswood mentioned it's the really fine stuff you're trying to keep out of your lungs. I've even seen plans for building one--pretty simple.

Don
IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Los Angeles, CA, California, USA
Los Angeles, CA
California
USA

Reply #4 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 10:10pm

Yet another reason a friend gave me is it will help cut down on the spiders in the shop.   Not sure why but I think I may explore that idea, I think I have more of them than I do pieces of burl in my shop.  Tongue

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #5 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 10:54pm

I don't think it gets rid of the spiders, it's just that with all the dust sticking to the webs, you can see them better. Grin

JimQ

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Los Angeles, CA, California, USA
Los Angeles, CA
California
USA

Reply #6 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 11:02pm

Nah, I can see them just fine. In fact I think they are conspiring to make dinner of me.  The Black Widow must be the leader...she was watching me when I was turning one night, freaked me out.  After about 3 days of trying to be nice and let her be, I thought better of that idea when I found her dangling about 4 feet directly above my head.  So, I did what any self-respecting turner would do, I grabbed a long piece of maple, turned a long, thin, "spider-ball bat" and started batting practice.  Let's just say, the home team won with a home run into the back field wall.  Wink

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

Formerly Nappen who said...Sleep
is for wimps

Reply #7 - Nov 1st, 2005 at 3:06am

I use a Jet dust collector and an air filter. Last year I was in a community basement and it was only by using these peices of equipment that I was allowed to continue. I picked the jet for one reason, again because I was in a community basement. It was the most quiet. I went to "show" (meaning sale) and had them line them up, Delta, Jet, American General and a couple of others, and the jet was by far the least noisy.

Nope, it doesnt do a thing for spiders, I have dozens of different species. Except for the black widows I just let them be, hoping they will eat the mosquitoes Smiley

I'm not addicted to coffee, it just keeps the headaches away.

IP Logged

Jimmy Cusic

Just a bit,  a skew!!

Garland Tx, Texas, USA
Garland Tx
Texas
USA

Reply #8 - Nov 1st, 2005 at 4:50am

Good point nappen.  I didn't think about noise.  My shop is a two car garage so the door is open most of the time.  Filtering the air seem pointless. I use a Dust B Gone some of the time.  I’m looking for something that can collect most of the sawdust with out being to cumbersome. I’ll most likely get 20’ of hose and move it around to where I’m working. At least that’s the thought at the moment.  I have hear of basements…  though I don’t think I ever seen one.  I’ve heard that come in handy … or fill up with water.   Grin
There is a "Wood Show" in the Dallas/Ft Worth area the first of Dec.  Think I'll check them out then.

IP Logged

tejaswood

WWW.TEJASWOOD.C OM

Reply #9 - Nov 1st, 2005 at 6:26am

Jimmy,
Where is the wood show in Dallas ?
After using my JDS air cleaner yesterday with the doors closed, I actually think the air was cleaner than having my shop doors opened with a fan. I'm probably wrong. I need to find a way to measure the dust in the air with the doors open and then with them closed and the filter turned on. It can get pretty hot here in the Dallas area during the summer months, and since I spend all day at the lathe it can be pretty miserable. I would love to install a window air conditioner for the summer months and keep my doors closed all of the time. Plus with the doors closed I don't have to worry about all of my neighbors comming over all day. They think that since I work from home that I don't have a real job.

IP Logged

Jimmy Cusic

Just a bit,  a skew!!

Garland Tx, Texas, USA
Garland Tx
Texas
USA

Reply #10 - Nov 1st, 2005 at 8:13am

I hear ya… My wife use to wfh. She had a hard time staying on task.  Wood show is at the Arlington convention center, Dec. 9-11th. Several clubs will be doing demos.  I’ve never been but the guys jumped at the sign up sheet for doing demo’s at the last club meeting, (wonder cause they get in free..  Grin ) I have two spots left I need to fill on Sunday morning, I’ll probably do one of those. 
The reason I’m looking at a dust collector is I’d like to get one of those “drum sanders”. Performx 16-22. Those look handy for cutting boards, bread boards, chess boards. ( NOT wood turning ?? Have I just SINNED??   Shocked )  Of course I did see a JET lathe that did the same as a powermatc that looked nice too.  Need to try to sell a few more pens for that..

Thanks for the input guys. Any other thoughts on dust collectors welcome…

IP Logged

tejaswood

WWW.TEJASWOOD.C OM

Reply #11 - Nov 1st, 2005 at 2:43pm

Jimmy,
I will probably be there. I also have the Performax 16-32. Love it. Grin

I make a lot of cutting boards, and I couldn't live without it. Don't even think of turning it on without your dust collector going. I have my collector in a corner and have put pipes all over the shop with blast gates, Didn't cost very much either. I used to roll the thing around but that got old very quickly. Plus being a commercial shop, I don't have the time anymore.
Later

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print