Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Olive Wood (Read 1,799 times)

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

Olive Wood
Nov 2nd, 2005 at 5:57pm

Since wood questions are flowing, I'll throw mine in. I've seen some really beautiful things turned from olive wood. So I looked on eBay and found quite a bit of it for sale but it was mostly pen blanks. I found a package of 9 blanks from a guy that said the wood was from the Holy Land, specifically Bethlehem. He was from Haifa Israel. Seemed like a decent price and he had great ratings so I bought it. Took about 2 weeks to get here. But when it came it was postmarked from Minnesota. Am I a (edited out)? Does olive wood grow in other places than the middle east, in Minnesota?. I'm sure it's olive wood. It smelled like olive oil when I turned it and it looks like the olive wood I've seen. It made some beautiful pens. I plan to sell them at a Christmas boutique as 'Bethlehem Olive Wood Pens' but I don't want to lie about it if I got snookered. Anyone else had experience with Olive wood?

Never miss a good chance to shut up.

IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Re: Olive Wood
Reply #1 - Nov 2nd, 2005 at 6:41pm

No experience with Olive wood, Curt, but the person you purchased it from may have imported it from Israel. Or, what is the difference between Olive and Russian Olive, like the one you posted several months ago?

IP Logged

E. Bud Gillaspie
WR Addict

Where'd I put that round
tuit?

Reply #2 - Nov 2nd, 2005 at 7:01pm

Curt, there are huge olive groves in CA. Fresno, CA is a great producing area. I grew & cured olives in Lk Havasu, AZ (big tree in our front yard.)

Russian Olive grows almost anywhere in the U.S.

E. Bud Gillaspie Umpqua Turning Club

IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #3 - Nov 2nd, 2005 at 8:21pm

I would guess that maybe the guy you bought from is a reseller or a distributor.   I have often questioned the the authenticity of the sellers that say they have a certificate of authenticity that the wood is from Bethlehem but, you never know, it could be for real.

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

paulporter

So many trees, so little
time!

Reply #4 - Nov 3rd, 2005 at 9:55am

The olive grown here (Phx/AZ) looks just like the Holy Land olive...probably the close to the same species.  It's nice stuff to turn, but is real unstable.

"Now, if I only had a silencer for my chainsaw...my neighbors trees would be in grave danger."
IP Logged

Tom Stover

Shepherdsville, Ky, Kentucky, USA
Shepherdsville, Ky
Kentucky
USA

Reply #5 - Nov 3rd, 2005 at 1:07pm

Curt, to be sure you are getting true Bethlehem olive wood go to this  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register .  They ship from Isreal but have a wharehouse in Texas if your in a hurry. The stuff in the wharehouse is from Bethlehem also.  They are also good people.

I can't get the link to work.
« Last Edit: Nov 3rd, 2005 at 1:09pm by Tom Stover »  

Joseph T.(Tom) Stover

IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Nov 3rd, 2005 at 4:42pm

This URL works>> Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Tom Stover

Shepherdsville, Ky, Kentucky, USA
Shepherdsville, Ky
Kentucky
USA

Reply #7 - Nov 3rd, 2005 at 4:50pm

Quote:
This URL works>> Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Thanks Gil

Joseph T.(Tom) Stover

IP Logged

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

Reply #8 - Nov 3rd, 2005 at 7:49pm

Thanks all for the info. What I bought is true olive wood. I just thought it was odd that it arrived postmaked in Minnesota when it was supposed to be from the Holy Land. The Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register; site looks like an excellent source.
Russian olive is much different wood although I like it too.

Never miss a good chance to shut up.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print