Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mass produced acacia wood bowls (Read 1,591 times)

Jimmy Cusic

Just a bit,  a skew!!

Garland Tx, Texas, USA
Garland Tx
Texas
USA

Mass produced acacia wood bowls
Nov 7th, 2005 at 5:06pm

I was at Sam's ( Like Costco in some places) this weekend. Saw an acacia wood bowl. It looked nice although a bit plain.   Size was 16x8  and the joints were clean like a segmented bowl.  Kinda sad they only wanted $26 bucks for it.
Hard to compete aginst wallymart    Roll Eyes

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Gil Jones
Ex Member

Re: Mass produced acacia wood bowls
Reply #1 - Nov 7th, 2005 at 5:22pm

It would probably cost you or I more than $26 to mail that bowl home from Thailand.

IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Los Angeles, CA, California, USA
Los Angeles, CA
California
USA

Reply #2 - Nov 7th, 2005 at 8:41pm

a couple of rebuttals to that vs. a truly turned bowl. 

1 - everyone gets the same exact thing. 
2 - you can't guarantee that it is handmade. 
3 - you can almost guarantee it's not made in the USA.   4 - it's from wallymart so at least 50 people with who knows what on their hands have touched it before you
5 - they probably don't tell you what the finish is, so how do you correctly care for it?
6 - while there is nothing wrong with staved work, there's nothing like a 16" salad bowl turned from one block.

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #3 - Nov 7th, 2005 at 8:42pm

How true, how true!!!   8)

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

junior
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Nov 7th, 2005 at 8:47pm

plus which sounds better???

"I bought it at Wal-Mart"

or

"A local craftsman made it"

or even

"I made it myself"

IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #5 - Nov 7th, 2005 at 10:10pm

While it is true that we cannot compete on a price basis, I still believe that there is a significant portion of the population that knows and appreciates the difference between a mass produced work and an individually crafted bowl.   It is this portion of the population that the craft person is trying to reach.  The only difficulty is finding them.

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

Formerly Nappen who said...Sleep
is for wimps

Reply #6 - Nov 8th, 2005 at 3:03am

I have said it before, and will say it again...well , Iwill keep it short. America is consumed by the wal mart mentality.

I'm not addicted to coffee, it just keeps the headaches away.

IP Logged

Negeltu

Reply #7 - Nov 8th, 2005 at 4:26am

Quote:
I have said it before, and will say it again...well , Iwill keep it short. America is consumed by the wal mart mentality.

This is true, but I'm a poor bastage.  Given the choice currently between Walmart or higher priced better quality products...I would have to choose cheapy Walmart products out of necessity.

Ezridaeus  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
tejaswood

WWW.TEJASWOOD.C OM

Reply #8 - Nov 8th, 2005 at 6:02am

I am going to have to agree with PhillipE. There is a significat portion of the U.S that will support U.S.A made products. I speak with retailers everyday and most get very excited when they find out my products are made in the U.S.A. They tell me that customers are more willing to buy when they find out where the products are made. Now you have to understand, I don't sell to Walmart and never will. They are the evil empire. 90% of my customers are small independant stores. I also label all of my products with a " Made in the U.S.A" Sticker.

IP Logged

kidcolombia

Preferiria  estar torneando!!

Reply #9 - Nov 8th, 2005 at 8:50am

Hey Tejaswood, just curious.  What sort of products "made in the U.S.A." do you sell?

Jim

JIM

IP Logged

tejaswood

WWW.TEJASWOOD.C OM

Reply #10 - Nov 8th, 2005 at 9:54am

Hey Jim,
I make Cutting boards, wine stoppers, wine stands, pepper mills and crosses. Now, I have to say that some of the componets for the pepper mills and wine stoppers are from china but I cut, glue, turn, saw, and put together everything in my shop.  my web site is Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Keith_Bundy

Ky. turner

Reply #11 - Nov 8th, 2005 at 4:44pm

I was in William Sonoma not to long ago and they had Cherry Salad Bowls made by a company in Maine if I remember correctly. $80.00 a bowl for a bowl I would charge $100.00 for. A sticker on the bottom gave the name of the company so I assume they are mass produced. These were segmented and quite honestly I thought the quality was poor. So, would the types that shop there buy that bowl because it came from that store over a hand made bowl the costs $20.00 more? I wonder.

IP Logged

Rick in Lincoln
WR Addict

keep on turnin'

Reply #12 - Nov 9th, 2005 at 6:38am

If the $100 and $80 bowls were placed side by side, I think the customers in that type of store would opt for the better, hand-crafted bowl for the extra twenty.  Problem is, the $80 bowl is right there, and the hand-crafted one is sitting in our shop, waiting for the next craft show.

A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print