Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Re: VETS
Reply #15 - Nov 11th, 2005 at 10:39pm

Must be getting close to contract negotiation time, seems every time they go to negotiate the contracts the postal service is all the sudden losing money and as soon a negotiations are over they start making a profit

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

Reply #16 - Nov 12th, 2005 at 9:23am

Sorry Philip, but in my 53 years I've never heard of any government entity that makes money. Oh wait, there is one exception, the mint.

Never miss a good chance to shut up.

IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

Formerly Nappen who said...Sleep
is for wimps

Reply #17 - Nov 12th, 2005 at 2:11pm

No, I remember reading an article the last time stamps went up that the postal service actually had turned a profit, so people were wanting to know why stamps went up. May have been the time before last, can't remember exactly.

I'm not addicted to coffee, it just keeps the headaches away.

IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #18 - Nov 12th, 2005 at 10:38pm

The Postal service is not longer a full government entity.  No taxpayer dollars are spent supporting the USPS.  We are still under the control of the government  and still use the Federal Retirement and health benefits system but we are suuposed to be self sustaining.  The old adage that the taxpayer pays my salary is an erroneous one.  Yes, they really do pay my salary but only as a regular paying customer.  Just as they pay walmarts employees and any other regualr business employees, by buying the products or services.  
 One of the biggest differences between the USPS and everyone else though is that our prices are controlled by a board of governors appointed by congress ( I think it is congress anyway, might even be the president).  If the Postmaster General would have had his way I think the price would have been higher but the board of governors sets limits.  If the PMG would have had his way the stamp price would have been an easy to figure 40 cents but the BofG decided it was only to be 39 Cents.  Go figure!!!
« Last Edit: Nov 12th, 2005 at 10:44pm by Philip Peak »  

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

Reply #19 - Nov 13th, 2005 at 8:27am

I was just teasing you Philip. I actually think the USPS does a fantastic job, especially for the individual customer like me verses the business customer. I think their flat package rates are the best. But since we're on the subject, and off the original, the one thing the USPS needs to learn about not being a government entity is customer service. When you walk in to mail a package they still move at government speed. Walk into a UPS or Fedex store and you really notice the difference.

Never miss a good chance to shut up.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print