Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tools 2005 - Westpoint, Exeter (Read 1,716 times)

Jonathon

A collector - DEFINITELY
not a turner!

Tools 2005 - Westpoint, Exeter
Nov 14th, 2005 at 2:14pm

An enjoyable trip to Exeter to look at the show and take in the gallery.

We ended up buying four pieces and particularly liked the  train submitted by an 8 year old little girl!  At least one new name - and the Special Award winner Joey Richardson had a fantastic piece showing the influence of David Nitman and Binh Pho - again pics to follow.

Photos to follow in due course - when time permits.

On a slightly different note - has anyone read the letter on Craft vs. Art and the reference to Mike Scott's work in the latest edition of Woodturning magazine?  And views would be??

Jonathon

The Daniel Collection of fine turned wood&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Keith_Bundy

Ky. turner

Re: Tools 2005 - Westpoint, Exeter
Reply #1 - Nov 14th, 2005 at 3:19pm

The last issue I received was October. I assume your referring to the November issue. When I get it I'll see if I have any comments. Let us know when you post the pictures. I'd like to see them. JImmy Clewes was one of the demonstrators at the symposium my turning club just put on. I managed to acquire one of Jimmy's platter that he made during the symposium.

IP Logged

Jonathon

A collector - DEFINITELY
not a turner!

Reply #2 - Nov 15th, 2005 at 10:46am

Probably the December issue Keith!!!

Perhaps it might be interesting to selectively quote - and see what reaction it ilicits!

Jonathon

The Daniel Collection of fine turned wood&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #3 - Nov 15th, 2005 at 11:30am

Trying to stir the pot are we? Wink

8)

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Pyro
WR Noob

Reply #4 - Nov 15th, 2005 at 1:34pm

Hi Jonathon,
I've read the letter on page 45 Dec issue of woodturnig & feel it is an unjustified personal attack. everyone has thier oppinions & I feel this may be some of the problems with turning boundries in the UK .
« Last Edit: Nov 15th, 2005 at 1:37pm by Pyro »  

I just make stuff.
IP Logged

Lee Goehring

West Central Wisconsin, Wisconsin, USA
West Central Wisconsin
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #5 - Nov 15th, 2005 at 2:42pm

I don't subscribe to the magazine, but will have to find this issue and read it. I had a rather unpleasant, and shocking, personal experience with that very issue this past August. Angry

A man's home may be his castle, but his woodshop is his sanctuary.

IP Logged

Jonathon

A collector - DEFINITELY
not a turner!

Reply #6 - Nov 15th, 2005 at 3:45pm

Hmm let's be absolutely clear here in case anyone misinterprets my motives.  I am not looking to stir any particular pot and have discussed the two articles with the editor this last weekend.

I DO believe that he was right to publish them - as they were clearly someone's heartfelt view(s) and just because you dont agree with an expressed sentiment doesn't mean to say you have the right to veto publication.

However - I would hope that the readers of the mag will feel compelled to respond in a way that shows maturity and reflection - and shows them in a better light that the original authors.

Knowing Mike Scott I doubt that he will be at all worried - and as they say, all publicity is good.  I do however take serious issue with some of the spurious claims made from the author who takes a very broad brush to UK turners - and seems unable to cite any names other than Bert Marsh.

I have undertaken to provide a response to the mag - but due to the publishing deadlines this is unlikely to appear for a few months.

Perhaps it would be relevant to include some of the more inflamatory language to give people some measure of the surprising views / sentiments that were being expressed?

IP Logged

Keith_Bundy

Ky. turner

Reply #7 - Nov 15th, 2005 at 5:50pm

Jonathan - I received the November issue today so it will be another month to read what your talking about. You definitely have my interest peaked. Please let me in on the subject.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Jonathon

A collector - DEFINITELY
not a turner!

Reply #8 - Nov 16th, 2005 at 1:17am

I am now at work so unable to progress this until I return home later on.

As there are two very different threads here (an outspoken criticism of a turners work and the statement that UK turners are behind in both artistic and technical ability) I would suggest that they form the basis of two new threads.  I will also try and speak to the editor to get his agreement to quote here.

Does this seem reasonable?
« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2005 at 1:18am by Jonathon »  

IP Logged

Jonathon

A collector - DEFINITELY
not a turner!

Reply #9 - Nov 16th, 2005 at 2:28am

Just spoken to GMC who have kindly agreed that I may reproduce the articles here - on the clear understanding that the views expressed are not those of the editor or indeed this author.

On my return home I will therefore start two new threads.

Dont blame me having lit the touch paper - I'm not trying to stir, just interested in the groups' take on two highly contentious issues.

Jonathon
« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2005 at 2:30am by Jonathon »  

IP Logged

Pyro
WR Noob

Reply #10 - Nov 16th, 2005 at 5:45am

When I read this letter I have to say it made me very angry. But as one of those who colours & decorate's my work I find it difficult  to be called a woodturner & find statements like this difficult to understand, my work this year has been very well recieved, in the Uk & overseas I think the problem is that of  perception,  other woodturners are not who we generally sell our work to  here in the UK. So do these comment's mean anything ,what happend to self expression??.I match products to galleries ,some wont look at anything a little bit different unles it is ebonised (coloured black) & others look for new & exiting work,it also depend's where each is based city or rural .
Boy is it hard it is to push the bounderies with attitudes like these in the UK, is this why we have lost great maker's to the US.

Hayley Smith. & Louis Hibbert to name two highly creative individuals .
Jonathan it will be great  to let the others see the letter,great work.
I am also going to send a response  to the editor of woodturning.

I just make stuff.
IP Logged

Jonathon

A collector - DEFINITELY
not a turner!

Reply #11 - Nov 16th, 2005 at 5:53am

In my view, and just that, both letters said more about the authors to me than the actual content.  Yes I appreciate the points you make - and could add many many more names to the creative list.

With GMCs kind blessing - and space permitting - I will post the letters this evening (time permitting) and then people can judge for themselves.  I will however not attribute them as you should get the mag for yourselves (a shameless plug for the company) and then reply in whatever vein you consider appropriate.

Jonathon

IP Logged

Jonathon

A collector - DEFINITELY
not a turner!

Reply #12 - Nov 16th, 2005 at 2:11pm

Both letters have now been posted under their own, distinct threads.

I will be interested to see what reaction (if any) they spark.

Jonathon

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print