Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Art vs Craft - Woodturning mag letter (Read 1,301 times)

Jonathon

A collector - DEFINITELY
not a turner!

Art vs Craft - Woodturning mag letter
Nov 16th, 2005 at 1:29pm

As promised earlier and as a catalyst for debate .. (please dont shoot the messenger - these views do not correspond with mine)

"Since Colin Simpson took over from Mark Baker he has shown that he doesn't mind carrying on the debate about craft versus art.  Richard Hooper's review of Mike Scott's exhibition (153) adds fuel to the flames.  Speaking as someone who makes a very small crust from traditionally turned work, sold on a commission basis through four shops, I know that I would be shown the door if I offered them anything like the pieces shown.  One of the gallery owners arrived to pick up a consignment of my work as I was reading issue 153 and I showed her the article without comment.

It's the woodturning equivalent of a pile of bricks@ she said at length referring to an exhibit in the national gallery a few years ago which was passed off as art.

It's junk, but presumably because the creator has an established reputation he can get away with any old nonsense and people are persuaded to pay good money for it.  Goodness knows how much he asks for that, but I couldn't give it away and I dont want anything like that in my gallery.

I take your work becasuse it's not only useful but attractive as well.  Anyone can see its been nicely crafted and finished and that's the way I, and more importantly, my customers want it.

Music to my ears of course but I think the main point is that to my client Mike Scott's work didnt look as though it had been produced with care and skill, and was therefore not worth shelf space.

Indeed Richard Hooper describes a jarrah bowl as having "The texture of a freshly ploughed Devon field," the toolmarks being evident in the photograph.  Can I turn like Mike Scott?  Not now, but I used to some years ago, before I learned to sharpen and use my tools correctly.  Good luck to him, but it's nto my cup of tea."

Ok so that is the text of the letter entitled "continuing the debate" - I have undertaken to reply to this and another submission (to be the subject of another thread) - and would be interested to get reactions from group members.  Remember the views expressed above are not necessarily those of the poster!!

Jonathon

The Daniel Collection of fine turned wood&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Keith_Bundy

Ky. turner

Re: Art vs Craft - Woodturning mag letter
Reply #1 - Nov 16th, 2005 at 3:11pm

First of all it seems to me that most people the world over regard anything made of wood as craft not art. I can't give a reason why. The person who made the comments in the letter is, to me, narrow minded. You don't have to like it, but that doesn't mean you have to make derogatory comments about it. I have no art training and do not profess to understand all the art I"ve seen. That doesn't mean I don't have ideas for turnings that might be considered art. If they see the light of day is another story. I think alot of people are like you Jonathan, they buy what they like, but they look at everything. We will always have Archie Bunkers lin this world. The question is, how can we educate them?

IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 16th, 2005 at 4:26pm

We all have diverse opinions, but this person seems to enjoy flying theirs on a high pole for all to see.
I do not pretend to know who Richard Hooper or Mike Scott are, and a Google search would not provide me with any views of Mr. Scott's work. I then perused the Daniel collection, and found a Mike Scott [ Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register ], and I did not perceive his work to "bricks" or "junk".

IP Logged

Negeltu

Reply #3 - Nov 16th, 2005 at 6:45pm

I think his work is absolutely wonderful.  I cannot see the reasoning behind the criticism.   Undecided  If we're talking about the same person.  We are talking about the guy who produces those amazing textures in his work right?
« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2005 at 6:47pm by Negeltu »  
Ezridaeus  
IP Logged

Jonathon

A collector - DEFINITELY
not a turner!

Reply #4 - Nov 17th, 2005 at 12:03am

Negeltu you are absolutely correct.  Mike usually goes under the name of Chai - and his website Chaiwood.com quickly explains why.  And yes, textural and, in my opinion, architectural, pieces are his very recognisable trademark.

Like I said when doing the copy typing earlier, these two letters have
been reproduced to stimulate comment - nothing more.

I will be providing GMC with a personalised repsonse in due course.

Oh - and we now have another piece to add to the collection which is reqlly extremely unusual.  Last night I was given a piece commissioned from Theo Faberge from a grateful "client" (friend really) who I have helped set up with a new PC, configured it etc etc.  Hmm now what value to insure that at?!

The Daniel Collection of fine turned wood&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

Formerly Nappen who said...Sleep
is for wimps

Reply #5 - Nov 17th, 2005 at 4:23am

Just a little comment/ question, and like Gil I have not previously heard of either of these gentlemen. I noticed on the Chai site that Richard Hooper was quoted on the welcome page. So, I went and re-read the quote and noticed that Hooper's comment was out of context...and once looking at the site, may not necessarily have been a derogatory one.

I wish I was qualifed to critically evaluate turnings, but can see that Scott's work is done with skill. Perhaps the author doesn't like what is not bright, shiney and looks like plastic wood and can't recognize as value what does not agree with his opinion.

His comments do illustrate something from the other thread that may relate here, and that is his concern for what the customers want. Like in the previous thread, perhaps he cannot differentiate between art and "buisiness." Because customer's may not want it doesn't make it bad. By that reasoning (what customers want) Wal-mart is a relaitive art factory.

My two cents worth.

I'm not addicted to coffee, it just keeps the headaches away.

IP Logged

Anthony Yakonick

Reply #6 - Nov 17th, 2005 at 10:20am

If it don't hold soup, it's art!! Wink

If it don't hold soup, it's art!!

IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

is for wimps

Reply #7 - Nov 17th, 2005 at 11:55am

Or a funnel. Smiley

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Jonathon

A collector - DEFINITELY
not a turner!

Reply #8 - Nov 17th, 2005 at 1:51pm

Hmm now when did I wander into the twilight zone  Undecided
« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2005 at 1:52pm by Jonathon »  

IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

is for wimps

Reply #9 - Nov 17th, 2005 at 1:59pm

As soon as I joined in, most likely Grin

Reading my last post, my last thought wasn't clear. What I meant by not differentiating art and buiseness, was not valuing both as equally legitimate. If that makes sense.
« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2005 at 2:07pm by Ned A from South GA »  

IP Logged

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

Reply #10 - Nov 17th, 2005 at 6:23pm

Here's my backward thinking two cents worth. If the folks looking at it ask how much it costs, it's probably craft. If the folks looking at it don't have to ask how much it costs, then its definitely art!

Never miss a good chance to shut up.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print