Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Shear Scrapers (Read 837 times)

Rosie
WR Noob

Shear Scrapers
Nov 20th, 2005 at 7:47am

I'm looking at buying one of the Kelton Shear Scrapers and am wondering if anyone here owns one or has used one. Any advice or comparison between this scraper and a regular round nosed scraper would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to be using it mainly for fine finishing of large bowls.

IP Logged

Rick in Lincoln
WR Addict

keep on turnin'

Re: Shear Scrapers
Reply #1 - Nov 20th, 2005 at 8:54am

I haven't used one, but the first thing I do when I'm looking at a new tool is to see if Lyn Mangiameli has done a review of it.  Lyn has honestly reviewed a vast array of tool and does, I think, a great job.

Here's a link to his review of the Kelton Shear Scraper, in a PDF.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

He seems impressed by its heft and ability.  Let us know if you get one and how you like it.

A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Reply #2 - Nov 20th, 2005 at 11:12am

If you can wait a few weeks or so, Stuart Batty's new line of tools will be coming out, including his new negative rake scraper.  I saw the new handles last night and have seen the scraper previously, as has Keith Bundy and they are truly impressive.  You won't find a finer scraping tool on the market, or a heftier for that matter.

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

Formerly Nappen who said...Sleep
is for wimps

Reply #3 - Nov 20th, 2005 at 2:28pm

Chris,
  Any idea, will they have a hollowing set. I have still not gotten one, other than the two small sorby's.

I'm not addicted to coffee, it just keeps the headaches away.

IP Logged

Rosie
WR Noob

Reply #4 - Nov 22nd, 2005 at 9:40am

Yesterday I bought the large Kelton Shear scraper.  I'll post a review on it later in the week.  Grin

IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Reply #5 - Nov 22nd, 2005 at 7:53pm

Look forward to hearing about it Rosie, if you can get a pic of it in action that would be great too.

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print