Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Drilling Corian for pens (Read 1,551 times)

GrantWhitby
WR Noob

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Tucson, Arizona, USA
Tucson
Arizona
USA

Drilling Corian for pens
Nov 25th, 2005 at 3:43pm

I recently received some corian pieces that I plan on turning into pens.  As soon as I started drilling them today I remembered why I disliked using this material.  I blew out 3 out of four peces near the bottom of the blank.  Does anyone have any tips for drilling this stuff?  It isn't cheap and one out of four isn't a very good average.

IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

Formerly Nappen who said...Sleep
is for wimps

Re: Drilling Corian for pens
Reply #1 - Nov 25th, 2005 at 3:54pm

I recently made some corian pens. What I did was keep the drillpress in the mid range for speed. I cut the peices a little long so if there was any chip out it wouldn't matter, and pulled back often to clear the chips (or what every you want to call the long plastic curls).

I'm not addicted to coffee, it just keeps the headaches away.

IP Logged

GrantWhitby
WR Noob

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Tucson, Arizona, USA
Tucson
Arizona
USA

Reply #2 - Nov 25th, 2005 at 3:59pm

Thanks for the reply!  What type of bit do you use?  I am not just experiencing a chipout, I am losing the bottom half inch.

IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

is for wimps

Reply #3 - Nov 25th, 2005 at 4:08pm

Just a regular bullet or brad point, both have worked. Sounds like yours might be getting too hot. Slow the speed down a little (though others have said to speed it up, I would try both and see which works best) and clear the chips frequently, that will allow it to cool a bit and when the chips/dust etc pack in there, the bit makes a lot more heat, causing it to crack. Same thing happens with ebony, blackwood etc.

IP Logged

junior
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Nov 25th, 2005 at 5:22pm

the video on pen making i have says to go VERY slow when drilling any blank... especially at the bottom of the blank. in the video, it takes the guy like 5 minutes to go through the bottom half of the blank.

the guy in the video also says that 99% of problems with drilling come from going to fast.

i am a rookie to pen turning, thats just what i saw from the video...

IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

is for wimps

Reply #5 - Nov 25th, 2005 at 5:29pm

I tend to go mid speed on the press (drill speed). Rate of decent is a whole 'nother matter.  I go what the blank will take, and that depends on size, species and drill speed. But...slow down as I am about to exit, that will help prevent chip out. Also, keeping it a little long helps as well, as any chip out is in the "extra." I cannot overemphasize releasing the chips, it will save many a blank.  Cristensen's (sp?) book is very good for pen turning and I think he just came out with a video.

I saw the video I think you are referring too, the one from pennstate. He does an adequate job, but I do suggest the aformentioned book, it made a world of difference. Also, the advise from Smokey and Cfuller (among others) has been outstanding.

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #6 - Nov 25th, 2005 at 7:08pm

I have done a couple of corian pens.  As Ned said, slow it down.  I would say to slow the drill press down as far as you can.  I use a ShopSmith that the slowest speed is 500 and is WAY too fast.  If you can get the speed down to below 200 rpm's you will do better.  Another trick would be to drill 1/8"-1/4" into one end and then flip the blank over and drill all the way through.  You will, however, want to ease the pressure you apply as you get toward the end of the drilling process.     8)

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #7 - Nov 25th, 2005 at 8:40pm

I asked one of my tax clients who does custom counter tops, and he said that there is a special drill bit for Corian.  I remembered needing one for when I was drilling PlexiGlass, he said it is the same one.

JimQ

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

texascop47
WR Addict

What happened to that
web page?

Reply #8 - Nov 26th, 2005 at 2:16pm

I agree with all use a bullet point or brad point bit and make sure it is sharp.   Use a slow speed and clean out the chips about ever 1/2 inch or so.   Also make sure you have a board or piece of plywood you are drilling into.  This will give the piece drilled some backing and not allow it to blow out as easy.

keep the bevel rubbing
eeg520  
IP Logged

GrantWhitby
WR Noob

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Tucson, Arizona, USA
Tucson
Arizona
USA

Reply #9 - Nov 26th, 2005 at 2:36pm

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.  I have been using a bullet bit and backing of oak scrap.  I'll try slowing down the drill press and my feed speed and let you know if it solves my problem.  Thanks again.

IP Logged

Glenn
WR Addict

Reply #10 - Nov 28th, 2005 at 4:40pm

I've had decent luck using a brad point at high rpms but very sloooow advance through the blank.  I drill about a 1/2" at a time and then pull the bit out.  Don't let it get too hot.  Also, make sure you clear the hole frequently.  Too many chips in the hole will result in heat generation. 

The most important part is going slow and keeping it cool.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print