Send Topic Print
Plan? (Read 1,373 times)

Jeff Matter

I got a new lathe for
my wife!! Good trade
eh?

Plan?
Dec 1st, 2005 at 5:46pm

Since I started turning as a "segmenter", I always had a plan on the project. The shape,wood used,pattern and such. When I started solid wood turnings, I never seem to have a "plan" on what its going to be. I just start roughin it out and  say " oohh  that might look cool" and go off that idea. After I stop the lathe and inspect the piece, I might hafta take out inclusions or imperfections and stuff which end up changing the original "plan".  Ive turned 8" pieces of wood down to 5" because of "change in plans"
   Being very green to turning , I was curious to know how you seasoned turners go about starting a project. If you plan , draw out, search thru the pile for pieces that will fit yur plan, or if ya just wing-it  like me. Or do you have a certain style or shape that you base your piece around  er what? Or is the shape influenced by the piece of wood?Just curious.

I kinda like to just throw a chunk on ....spin it....and see what the siloette (sp) leaves and go from there.

IP Logged

Anthony Yakonick

Re: Plan?
Reply #1 - Dec 1st, 2005 at 6:00pm

I just put the wood on the lathe and remove the parts I don't like Wink

I don't plan, draw or measure, but I do have an idea of what I want when the wood goes on the lathe. I did do a series the wood being approx 6"dia x 6" tall.

If it don't hold soup, it's art!!

IP Logged

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

Reply #2 - Dec 1st, 2005 at 6:08pm

Sounds pretty much like what I do too. I usually have a bowl, or vase or something in mind but no detailed plan of exactly what it will be.

Never miss a good chance to shut up.

IP Logged

John Nicholas
WR Supporter

Reply #3 - Dec 1st, 2005 at 6:25pm

I almost always have  a shape in mind as I start turning.  Usually something I've seen.  The shape may change as it turns.  Sometimes because I get  a catch and thin that place down to get rid of the evidence.

Doesn't seem to matter if I'm spindle turning or faceplate turning.  I seem to have a shape in mind.

Smiley

John&&&&First:  Be Safe  &&Second: Have Fun
IP Logged

kidcolombia

Preferiria  estar torneando!!

Reply #4 - Dec 1st, 2005 at 6:26pm

SkyJ, I'm certainly not a seasoned turner; only been at it seriously for a couple of years or so, but I do have ideas regarding your questions.  Some turning projects do require drawings, measurements, etc. because the end product must fit certain specifications.  Other projects are more of a creative nature, and for those, at least in my case, I do have a mental picture of what I want to accomplish.  Said picture is, doubtless, based in any number of sources previously viewed:  images seen in on this very Forum, catalogs, books, etc.  Which isn't to say that, when the actual turning takes place, for one reason or another I might not change some detail or aspect of the original "picture."  I guess what I am saying is that I always have a "goal," and that goal begins in the form of a picture, in my head.  In sum, my fascination with woodturning is related mostly to its creative aspect, something which takes place mostly "in the act."
Finally, George Nakashima (sp?), that famous furniture maker said (wrote) something to the effect that  the wood (piece of wood) decides the project, and not the reverse.  I find that to be increasingly true in my turning as well. 

Enjoy!

Jim

JIM

IP Logged

Jeff Matter

I got a new lathe for
my wife!! Good trade
eh?

Reply #5 - Dec 1st, 2005 at 6:39pm

Thanks jim,
  I guess in a sense thats the way I think too.......I see something and mimick it, not copy it. Alot depends on the wood too......Ill look at the piece and try to imagine what the inners look like at the point of my desired shape and adjust shape from there.
  I was just wondering if the way I went about things was haphazardly or if it is the norm.
I guess its that gift of "creativity and talent" that all our friends and family claim we have  eh??

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #6 - Dec 1st, 2005 at 7:42pm

I may plan on doing a bowl or a goblet, but have no idea what the profile is going to be.  I will pick my wood by what I might have in mind.

JimQ

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #7 - Dec 1st, 2005 at 8:10pm

I guess I am like a lot of people, I go into the shop thinking of one thing and will often end up with something entirely different.

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #8 - Dec 1st, 2005 at 8:47pm

Spin it and see what emerges.  Too often the wood will change what you have in mind.  That is not to say that having an idea of what you want before you start is wrong.  Its just as many have already said, sometimes the wood, or bad technique, will cause a sudden change in plans.  Be ready to go with the flow in that case.  At the same time, if you have a commission for a 14" bowl and you get a catch that causes the piece to be only 12", well then you best get another piece of wood spinnin'.   8)

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #9 - Dec 1st, 2005 at 10:43pm

Yeah I plan what I am going to do.  If I have a 2X2X8" I'm not going to turn a bowl, and if it is 6X6X2" I'm not going to try for a goblet.

JimQ

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

kidcolombia

Preferiria  estar torneando!!

Reply #10 - Dec 2nd, 2005 at 3:32pm

Somebody, somewhere, not sure if on this forum, said that a fair measure of a wood turner is how successfully he or she can solve a problem, such as a serious catch, thereby saving the piece, even though its shape might end up being altered.  Seems like there is a great deal of satisfaction in that alone, nevermind ending up (anyway) with a nice looking "creature."

JIM

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print