Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
tools for turning hollow vessels (Read 3,175 times)

Anthony Yakonick

Re: tools for turning hollow vessels
Reply #15 - Dec 6th, 2005 at 8:03pm

I'll give up my Stewart tool when they pry it from my cold dead hands.

or another carpel tunnel surgery Wink

If it don't hold soup, it's art!!

IP Logged

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

Reply #16 - Dec 7th, 2005 at 5:11am

Ken, is that outrigger gizmo part of the Johnston-Basham tool or is that a home made add on? If that's one of you inventions, you should get a patent on that.

Never miss a good chance to shut up.

IP Logged

jprosise

Reply #17 - Dec 7th, 2005 at 6:04am

What a brilliant idea!  Seems like it could even be better than a laser because I am sure you get some sort of audio indication in addition to visual.

IP Logged

paulporter

So many trees, so little
time!

Reply #18 - Dec 7th, 2005 at 11:10am

For small vessels I use an outrigger tool.  It's a version of the Johnston-Basham tool with a twist or bend.  If you have a long bed lathe, the bend in the tang will let you hold the tool next to your body for better control.  If you have a short bed lathe, the bend is not needed.  Here is a photo of three different versions.  The tool in the top of the photo has a home made laser attachment.  The middle tool is straight for hogging out the middle of a vessel and the bottom tool holds a tear-drop scraper for a final finish cut.  I have a working drawing of this tool I can send via e-mail if anyone is interested.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2005 at 11:11am by paulporter »  

"Now, if I only had a silencer for my chainsaw...my neighbors trees would be in grave danger."
IP Logged

Ken Grunke

I finally got around to
it!

SW Wisconsin, Wisconsin, USA
SW Wisconsin
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #19 - Dec 7th, 2005 at 1:07pm

Thanks, Curt and jprosise. Curt, I think the first time I saw the plastic flapper idea was in the AAW Journal, back in the early 90's. This tool was all of my own making, and fits in one of my interchangeable handles that takes 1/2" shanks and holds them with a setscrew.

Nice tools, Paul, the bent shank makes a lot of sense.
« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2005 at 1:10pm by Ken Grunke »  

Home Page: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register and webmaster, Coulee Region Woodturners of SW Wisconsin - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Ken Grunke  
IP Logged

kidcolombia

Preferiria  estar torneando!!

Reply #20 - Dec 8th, 2005 at 6:01pm

Paul, certainly I would like a drawing of that tool.  When you have a moment, please send it to my email address, available in my profile. 

Thanks,

Jim

P.S.  A question:  what is the purpose of those "appendages" under each of the cutterhead shanks"  Just wondering.

JIM

IP Logged

paulporter

So many trees, so little
time!

Reply #21 - Dec 9th, 2005 at 7:51am

Quote:
P.S.  A question:  what is the purpose of those "appendages" under each of the cutterhead shanks"  Just wondering.

Hi Jim,
I'm not sure what you mean by "appendages," but if you mean the "outriggers," they arrest the torque generated by the cutting process on the inside of a hollow vessel.  The outrigger rides on the tool rest outside of the vessel.  If this isn't to clear, let me know and I'll take a photo of the process and post it here.

~Paul

"Now, if I only had a silencer for my chainsaw...my neighbors trees would be in grave danger."
IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #22 - Dec 9th, 2005 at 12:33pm

Paul
  That I would like to see but I think it would be better if you posted it in the Photo sharing area.

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

paulporter

So many trees, so little
time!

Reply #23 - Dec 11th, 2005 at 7:50pm

I posted a photo the outrigger tool in action on the photo sharing site.  Here is a link to the photo.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

kidcolombia

Preferiria  estar torneando!!

Reply #24 - Dec 12th, 2005 at 4:50am

Paul, thanks very much for the information and above all for the picture.  You call your creation a "simple concept."  I would call it a stroke of genius.  And I await the drawing that you offered, as soon as you are able.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

JIM

IP Logged

mnt.jeremy

try again.( words which
I have heard alot)

Reply #25 - Dec 13th, 2005 at 7:34am

I am pretty new at turning . but all I have turned so far are vessles and bowls. Maybe 18 pieces, and still waiting for some to dry. I use 1/2 round nose . to get onto some of the tight radi I turn the lathe on backwards. Which I have been told isn't the best but it works .

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #26 - Dec 13th, 2005 at 8:11am

Not a thing wrong with turning in reverse.  Just make sure that the set screw on your chuck is tight (if you use a chuck).  In fact, several folks turn and sand in reverse so that they can get a smoother surface.  How about showing us some examples of what you've done.  We'll be kind and try to help you out with some pointers.   8)

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print