Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Kitchenware (DONE!) (Read 2,984 times)

badger

Woodbox 23

Kitchenware (DONE!)
Dec 7th, 2005 at 7:50pm

Hi there...

I just bought a bunch of the economy butter knife blades to make a set for my mother in law for the holidays.

I ordered these:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
From Craft Supplies.

I am pretty sure I can figure out how to do it, but I would love some tips from someone who's already done one?

Things I am not sure about:

The best glue to use?

How big a hole to drill for the blade?

But mostly it's what's the best glue.

Any other tips/comments/suggestions would be great.

badger
« Last Edit: Dec 21st, 2005 at 11:45pm by badger »  

--==--==--&&Woodbox 23 (Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register)&&A daily weblog on woodworking, and woodturning.
IP Logged

texascop47
WR Addict

What happened to that
web page?

Re: Kitchenware (for the holidays, need help)
Reply #1 - Dec 7th, 2005 at 8:30pm

I use Polyurethane or simply Poly glue.  I use ultimate glue by Elmers as it is cheaper than gorilia glue but the same thing.   You could also use thick CA but the Poly has better gap filling.

keep the bevel rubbing
eeg520  
IP Logged

Bob Hamilton
WR Addict

Forest, Ontario, Canada, Ontario, Canada
Forest, Ontario, Canada
Ontario
Canada

Reply #2 - Dec 8th, 2005 at 9:17am

Hi:
It looks like the tang on the knife is flat so inserting into a round hole will leave relatively large gaps on each side.  While poly glue will fill the gap by foaming the foam has no strength and will give the blade no lateral support.

I would think the options are:

1.  Cut the blank in half lengthwise, rout a groove half the thickness of the blade deep in each half and glue the blank back together.  Blade tang glued in with epoxy to fill around bump in tang.   Problems:  it might be difficult to match the grain to make the seam invisible;  glue squeeze out into your routed groove when gluing halves together  might make inserting the blade after turning difficult if not impossible.

2.  Cut a kerf in the end of the handle (either before or after turning) to fit the tang thickness and length, then cut thin strips (like veneer) to fill the kerf on each side of the blade.  The inner edge of the strip could be whittled to fit around the bump on the tang.  Glue the strips and blade in and pare the strips flush.  Strips could be contrasting wood to make them appear as a decorative accent.  Problems:  Need a bandsaw or handsaw blade that makes an accurate, clean kerf the right width for the tang;  cut would need to be straight down the centre of the blank to keep the blade straight with the handle.

3.  Turn a dowel the same diameter as the hole drilled for the handle tang and cut it in half lengthwise.  Hand plane the cut face of the dowel so the halves will fit the gap on each side of the tang.  Glue with epoxy to fill the space on each side of the tang around the bump.  Problems:  Saw kerf when cutting dowel must be narrower than the blade thickness to leave enough material to fill the gap.

4:  Fill the hole around the tang with epoxy, possibly coloured to match or contrast with the handle wood.  Problems:  Need to maintain blade/handle alignment until the glue cures.

Hope this helps Smiley
Bob
« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2005 at 9:18am by Bob Hamilton »  
IP Logged

badger

Woodbox 23

Reply #3 - Dec 8th, 2005 at 9:17am

In an amazing coincidence (maybe not) I just picked up a small bottle of Gorilla glue to test it out around the shop.

Thanks.

--==--==--&&Woodbox 23 (Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register)&&A daily weblog on woodworking, and woodturning.
IP Logged

badger

Woodbox 23

Reply #4 - Dec 8th, 2005 at 9:39am

Not pictured in the catalog picture is a small insert.

I took some quick pictures here to show it:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (sorry, this one is little blurry)

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Catalog description:

"Economy Range
These blades are stamped from heavy sheet stainless steel with the blade and tang being one piece. The bolster is separate and slides over the tang before mounting the handle in place."

The flat part of the tang is wider than the round part of the insert "bolster" thingie. 

badger

IP Logged

Jerry Goodhue

I'd rather turn it - than
burn it!

Shepherdsville, Kentucky, USA
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
USA

Reply #5 - Dec 8th, 2005 at 11:51am

Hi badger,
I have not made any of these, but I had an idea and hopefully is dosen't sound dumb. Sort of a twist on Bobham's option #3:
Turn a dowel a little larger than the tang of the knife.
Drill a hole large enough for the insert to fit and seat all the way in. Use a bandsaw to cut the dowel and make a cut deep enough for the tang to slide in all the way.

I would rough up the plated finish on the insert and the blade and epoxy it into the dowel. Then glue that assembly into what ever handle that you have made. (which needs to have a hole that the dowel will fit into)

Does that make sense?

IP Logged

Bob Hamilton
WR Addict

Forest, Ontario, Canada, Ontario, Canada
Forest, Ontario, Canada
Ontario
Canada

Reply #6 - Dec 8th, 2005 at 12:10pm

Ah, yes, that does make a difference.  Cheesy  Jerry has an elegant solution.  Another option would be to grind the tang down so it is the same width as the diameter of the bolster post. 

Take care
Bob

IP Logged

badger

Woodbox 23

Reply #7 - Dec 8th, 2005 at 6:41pm

Thanks guys!!

I appreciate the help.

badger

IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Dec 8th, 2005 at 8:19pm

If you have a piece of steel that you could grind to the rough shape of the tang/bolster, you could drill small diameter lead hole, then heat the rough shaped tang to red hot and force it into the drilled hole. It would burn a hole close to what you need the real tang/bolster to fit into, and epoxy could fill the remainder. This may be more than 2 cents worth.

IP Logged

badger

Woodbox 23

Reply #9 - Dec 9th, 2005 at 10:08am

Good idea Gil...   I think I might have something like that around.  Hrm.. except I think my torch is MIA.

I emailed the catalog guys, and they sent this reply:

Thanks for your E-Mail.  To mount your cutlery it's best to drill a hole that's a little undersized.  As this will require you to use some degree of force when mounting it into the handle it will help keep that hold more permanent.  Then with that if you use epoxy glue you'll have a hold that will stay nice and tight even with abuse.  The epoxy is a flexible glue so it has the ability to take the kind of beating that a knife would take.

Which I'm not sure will work well with the wood I want to use, the rosewood I have is really hard (and very pretty).  But I think I just need to start in on some of these, and see what I can make work.

badger
« Last Edit: Dec 9th, 2005 at 10:09am by badger »  

IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Dec 9th, 2005 at 1:09pm

You could test several ways of mounting the blade using a piece of junk wood. All you really need is a hole in a chunk of wood to test the fit. Find the best method, and then use your good wood.

IP Logged

Jerry Goodhue

burn it!

Shepherdsville
Kentucky
USA

Reply #11 - Dec 9th, 2005 at 5:49pm

I am really interested in how these turn out and what way you went for mounting the blade. Post a picture or keep us updated on your progress.

IP Logged

badger

Woodbox 23

Reply #12 - Dec 11th, 2005 at 1:06am

Will do.

I got into the shop and turned a small box, and a started my first PEN, but I wasn't brave enough to start these.

Besides, I'm still trying decide on style.

option a) 4 different kinds of wood for the handles, each family unit gets a set of 4.

option b) each family unit gets a set of 4 of the same wood, but each family gets a different wood.

hrm..

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #13 - Dec 11th, 2005 at 5:41am

I would give each family one wood.  If by chance they are all together when you give these great gifts to them, then they could swap around and mix them up if they desire.  But, I would start them out with only one species.   8)

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Jerry Goodhue

burn it!

Shepherdsville
Kentucky
USA

Reply #14 - Dec 11th, 2005 at 5:50am

I like the matching set option, but that just me. Either way the folks that get these will appreciate your work. Better get started soon  Wink

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print