Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

Formerly Nappen who said...Sleep
is for wimps

Re: PSI proof
Reply #1 - Dec 14th, 2005 at 2:48am

It is the busy time of year Wink

Was anything out of stock?

I'm not addicted to coffee, it just keeps the headaches away.

IP Logged

Glenn
WR Addict

Reply #2 - Dec 14th, 2005 at 2:52am

Is the problem PSI or UPS?  I know you have not had a good experience with them but blaming them for being slow when its the shipper that is slow is not very fair.

Patience is a virtue.  Wink

IP Logged

Negeltu

Reply #3 - Dec 14th, 2005 at 7:25am

Ya dude.. Shipping close to Christmas/Yule gets very slow usually.  Sad  Also, if you look in their shipping policy... it also depends on the stocking and if it is coming direct from the supplier.
« Last Edit: Dec 14th, 2005 at 7:26am by Negeltu »  
Ezridaeus  
IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

Formerly Nappen who said...Sleep
is for wimps

Reply #4 - Dec 14th, 2005 at 2:23pm

But, no excuse for rudeness.

I'm not addicted to coffee, it just keeps the headaches away.

IP Logged

junior
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Dec 14th, 2005 at 5:28pm

or crappy products...

like i said before, the shipping times arent that big a deal, it was the service..

i finally got my package today, right on time... but...

a couple of the pencil mechanisms are bent. they arent bent bad, so i don't know if it will effect the way it works, but when you twist them, you can see it. the kit i bought came with a package of pre drilled blanks, what a joke. at least 6 of them are trash. those 6 are either not drilled completely through, or drilled crooked, so much so that the tube will not insert. there are probably three or four more that may not work due to a wallowed out hole.

even with the long shipping, i had this all worked out to where i could get these things put together for christmas presents to my bosses, and co employees.

Logic would tell you that if i bought a kit with predrilled blanks, and no other blanks or anything, that maybe i was actually going to use the pre drilled blanks for the pens, and pencils. so out of ten kits, i have three that i cannot make. man i need a drill press.......

IP Logged

Jim Underwood
WR Addict

It's better to turn than
burn...

Reply #6 - Dec 14th, 2005 at 7:59pm

Junior,

Many of the pen mandrels are not very concentric due to the fact that the end of the rod is threaded into the morse taper end of the thing. While this makes it easy to replace just the rod if it gets bent, it's virtually impossible to get a threaded rod to be concentric with the rest of the mechanism.

I haven't bought one yet, but I've got my eye on one of the collet type mandrels that you can pick up at the local Woodcraft store (mine's about 60 miles away) for about $25. If you subscribe to their newsletter, they're giving free shipping for most of the month...

In fact I just got a Nova Midi chuck with free shipping just last week. Too bad I didn't pick it up when it was on sale last month when I was up there...

Anyway the collet type is probably more versatile, (it will do several lengths easily) not to mention being more concentric than the threaded rods type.

If you have a barrel trimmer and a 7mm drill it should be a snap to make pen blanks... But to pay for blanks and have them be junk must be a real drag.

Of course, I'm speaking from no pen turning experience whatsoever, so anyone feel free to correct me.
Grin
I'm just speaking from general machining experience...

Jim Underwood&&Fides quaerens intellectum&&

IP Logged

Jim Underwood
WR Addict

It's better to turn than
burn...

Reply #7 - Dec 14th, 2005 at 8:06pm

Oh, hey, and about the drill press? Don't sweat it. Use big enough blanks that it doesn't matter if you get off a little bit.

And make yourself a square block (those toy alphabet blocks make a great gauge!) to gauge what angle you're drilling at, and/or a jig to hold the blank perpendicular.

Those little drill stand thingies aren't very expensive, you could pick one of those up an do it if you don't have the bucks for a drill press.

Hope this helps you. And good luck getting those presents finished in time! I just wish I could get through with the re-model enough to get time in my shop. I did get the crown on the cabinets tonight and the new valance panel made and installed last night. Now to finish painting those d**n windows and door....

Jim Underwood&&Fides quaerens intellectum&&

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print