Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Yet another beginner question? (Read 2,581 times)

pa-paw

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Yet another beginner question?
Dec 23rd, 2005 at 7:32pm

I’ve acquired a used Nova chuck and four sets of jaws. The Allen screws holding the jaws were really tough to back out. An Allen wrench didn’t come with the chuck so I’m using one from a metric set that I have. I had to clamp a vise-grip on to the wrench in order to break them loose. Just how tight are these screws supposed to be? Do I need to invest in a special wrench? Thanks.

IP Logged

Rick in Lincoln
WR Addict

keep on turnin'

Re: Yet another beginner question?
Reply #1 - Dec 23rd, 2005 at 7:40pm

Your screws were in way to tight...  I've got two supernovas, and use an allen wrench to tighten them up also, but nothing superhuman.  Just hand tighten.

A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

IP Logged

pa-paw

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Dec 23rd, 2005 at 8:02pm

Thanks Rick, for the help. Is it your experience that the screws tighten or might back out during turning? As I am new, I'm still a wee bit skitish of something comming loose.

IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Dec 23rd, 2005 at 8:39pm

You can buy a "T" handled Allen (hex) wrench (or sets of them) and make your life a tad easier. Mine are 3mm, and the T-handled Allen wrench is a perfect tool for it. Yours sound a bit too tight, though I do snug mine down firmly.

IP Logged

Bob Hamilton
WR Addict

Forest, Ontario, Canada, Ontario, Canada
Forest, Ontario, Canada
Ontario
Canada

Reply #4 - Dec 23rd, 2005 at 8:41pm

Hi:
I use a plastic T handled allen wrench for mine.  I would think a regular allen wrench in that size would be pretty small and not give a lot of leverage.  The countersink that the screw head sits in seems to be a really good fit which generates a lot of friction to resist loosening the screw.  I probably do tend to overtighten them, just like everything else...  Smiley

Take care
Bob

IP Logged

pa-paw

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Dec 23rd, 2005 at 8:48pm

Thanks fellows, that "T" handle wrench sounds like what's needed.

IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Dec 23rd, 2005 at 9:02pm

It is well worth the few extra bucks to get a quality set. The steel/heat treat in some of them is not up to the job.

IP Logged

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

Reply #7 - Dec 23rd, 2005 at 9:11pm

And, if the previous owner of the chuck was anything like me, I do a lot of finishing on the lathe so I end up glueing the screws into the chuck jaws with lacquer, etc. The Oneway Talon comes with a t-handle allen wrench that works well. Maybe contact Nova (Tecknatool) and see if you can get a replacement tool.

Never miss a good chance to shut up.

IP Logged

junior
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Dec 23rd, 2005 at 9:45pm

i also have a nova chuck. mine came used with two regular allen wrenches. the first time i took them out, they were in very tight, when i put them back in, i just snugged em up, and i had no problems.. i change jaws fairly often, and don't have any problems.

three of my four sets of jaws are made to accept both screws. so if one starts to back out, it will probably feel funny, or throw the workpiece out of center just a touch or something.

i am more scared of the wood coming out of the nova than the jaws coming off.

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #9 - Dec 23rd, 2005 at 10:05pm

When I got my first Nova chuck, the screws were in so tight that I had to use a hardened 4mm allen wrench on a socket to loosen them.  It is much less likely to round its edges and strip out the hole in the screw if they ever get that tight again.  I replaced the slightly damaged screws and tighten them with a normal allen wrench.

JimQ

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

Formerly Nappen who said...Sleep
is for wimps

Reply #10 - Dec 24th, 2005 at 2:58am

I have the nova, just hand tighten. Directions say do not overtighten. I have never had a problem with them loosening.

Make sure the bottoms of the jaws and the groove is clean though, any dirt will leave some wobble in the jaw.

Don't think they will come loose unless you do a lot of reverse turning since the lathe turns left and the screws turn right to tighten.

I'm not addicted to coffee, it just keeps the headaches away.

IP Logged

Ken Grunke

I finally got around to
it!

SW Wisconsin, Wisconsin, USA
SW Wisconsin
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #11 - Dec 24th, 2005 at 8:37am

I've never tightened the jaw screws very hard, and still I have a heck of a time loosening them when changing jaws. Fine dust, gunk, and maybe a little finish glues them in. I also have to clean out the allen key sockets in the screw heads, using the point of a drywall screw. if the key doesn't go in all the way something will give--either the socket, or the end of the key.

Home Page: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register and webmaster, Coulee Region Woodturners of SW Wisconsin - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Ken Grunke  
IP Logged

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

Reply #12 - Dec 24th, 2005 at 10:08am

And, I think there's the fact that the jaws are very soft steel (so they don't destroy your tools if you nick them) and the screws are very hard. It makes them seat a lot tighter than you realize you're turning them.

Never miss a good chance to shut up.

IP Logged

Negeltu

Reply #13 - Dec 24th, 2005 at 8:04pm

I only tighten till secure.  In my experience the screws don't come loose.  If you tighten too much in time the head of the screw can get damaged and you will have a bigger problem getting it out.  I hand tighten just a little bit and check periodically.  Never had a problem.

Ezridaeus  
IP Logged

Woodchip

Reply #14 - Dec 25th, 2005 at 1:25am

Definately just snug them down. I learned the hard way and now have to take the EZ-Out to my small PSI chuck. Been putting it off for a while, but need my smaller jaws for a project so gotta get it done.   

I don't remember putting them on tight the last time I swapped jaws, but that's what I tell my wife too about the caps on the soda bottles Grin.

Since I don't swap jaws very much, I have thought about using that anti-sieze stuff like you use on spark plugs and stuff. What do ya'll think of that?

Tom&&&&

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #15 - Dec 25th, 2005 at 10:37am

Tecnatool recommends cleaning the threads and using a little oil to keep them from seizing.

JimQ

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print