Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Gluing (Read 2,206 times)

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

Re: Gluing
Reply #15 - Jan 4th, 2006 at 5:56pm

Bob I agree with you on all the points you made about Gorilla glue. The reason I don't use it very often is simply that it's much more messy than white glue, at least for a messy guy like me. I end up with the stuff foaming out of the joints and getting all over me. And it's almost impossible to get those brown stains off my fingers. From what I've read it's probably a stronger joint than white glue, especially if you're gluing wood to some other material than wood. I just like the ease of cleanup with white glue.

Never miss a good chance to shut up.

IP Logged

Woodchip

Reply #16 - Jan 4th, 2006 at 6:47pm

I hear ya Curt. The only thing that gets Gorilla Glue off your fingers is time!!

I don't mean to sound negative about Gorilla Glue at all. It is an amazing product and I use it for many applications. It's just not my bag for fine wood working. I cannot deny it's strength or adhesion properties, and have used it on many exterior projects with great success. It's the only thing that works well on teak and some of the other exotics I used to build decks with.

That being said, glue is a tool like a gouge or a hand plane and as such has a learning curve, which in my opinion is a bit steep for someone new to wood working. The yellow glues, whether Elmers or TB 1,2 or 3 are a little gentler to learn with and apt to be less frustrating. I look at yellow glue as the everyday, get the job done type of glue, while Gorilla Glue, CA and Epoxy are the special purpose glues I use for specific jobs.

It would appear that the Glue Question can be quite sticky!!! Grin

Tom&&&&

IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Jan 4th, 2006 at 6:57pm

Curt, you can remove Gorilla (poly-U) glue quick and easy with lacquer thinner, if it is still uncured.

IP Logged

Mz Linda
WR Noob

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #18 - Jan 5th, 2006 at 6:31pm

We use the Tite Bond 2 for segmented work.  Each angle of the cut is calculated for the number of pieces of wood in that ring.  The ring is them placed in a press we made to hold all pieces together.  After the Tite Bond 2 glue as set up the rings are then put through a planer so that every layer will fit tight.  As the rings are attached to the next level, when making a tall vase or large bowl, the cutting is made.  When finished both the inside and outside are in final finish.

Here are a couple of tall segmented vases made with Pumpkin Ash and Walnut.  There are no gaps anywhere between the pieces of wood.  We have had very good luck using the Tite Bond 2 for projects like this.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Linda Johnston
« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2006 at 7:55am by Mz Linda »  

Linda Johnston&&&&One Good Turn Deserves Another
WWW fhmzlinda  
IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Jan 5th, 2006 at 7:36pm

Linda,
You and Herbert do some lovely work. I may not have the tolerance for segmented work, but it seems that y'all are quite good at it. What are the dimensions and wood species in these two pieces?
Just an FYI, you can register in the photo gallery, and post your work there (in several categories), then just use a link to the photo gallery piece for use in the forums, if necessary.

IP Logged

Mz Linda
WR Noob

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #20 - Jan 6th, 2006 at 7:51am

Whew..a little tricky but I think I have figured out the photo gallery area.  I did upload to that area so...if done right the link above should take them to the view of the vases.

Now...about the vases.  4 pieces of Maple were used to create the base of the vases.

12 is the lucky number used for each ring going up the vase so the Walnut could be added to the Maple on each ring to create the pattern.  The Walnut Pattern does a double criss cross up and down the vase.  The two vases in the picture are really twins...they are just being shown from the front and the back so the pattern can be seen better.

The bass starts out with a 4 inch across circle.  The number 12 is keep for each row going up it is just the size of each individula piece that increases.  The largest area, about 2/3 up the vase becomes 27 inches around then tapers back in at the neck then opens back up.  These twin vases stand 23 inches tall.

There are 28 rows made of 12 seperate pieces of wood then 4 pieces used for the base for a total of 340 pieces of wood used to create one vase.

Linda Johnston

Linda Johnston&&&&One Good Turn Deserves Another
WWW fhmzlinda  
IP Logged

mnt.jeremy

try again.( words which
I have heard alot)

Reply #21 - Jan 7th, 2006 at 12:23pm

I have used yellow glue and polyurethan glue and they both work. It just depends on the weight ( in my opinion) I use gorilla glue for everything , I just feel safer using it , only after haviing a huge piece of wild cherry come off of a glue block and hit my man hood.
   so... gorilla has my vote

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print