Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
marketing idea (Read 1,095 times)

junior
Ex Member

marketing idea
Jan 9th, 2006 at 8:39pm

I borrowed this idea from a good friend of mine that is an amazing artist. He sells book covers, and other various illustrations by printing color flyers with some of his work, and contact info and mailing them to publishers and magazine editors and such.

This idea could easily be adapted to turning, especially pens. get a good quality flyer made of a selection of your already made pens, and contact info and mail the flyers to local law firms, Doctor's offices, and other local businesses.

ideally, these are the people you really want to target with these items anyway. Local businesses would more than likely produce repeat customers too. maybe even the opportunity to sell some bigger turnings.

You never know, you could send out 50 flyers and get only one phone call. But that one phone call might very well be a shift manager at the local Honda plant that wants to buy 200 pens as gifts to his employees for earning a bonus or something.

Or it could be the local big shot attorney that wants the most expensive pen you can make him. (just dreaming of an excuse to buy a limited edition Emperor pen).

Anyway, i know my local companies will all have the opportunity to buy my pens!!!

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
junior
Ex Member

Re: marketing idea
Reply #1 - Jan 9th, 2006 at 8:40pm

oh yeah, i almost forgot. If you keep the weight to a minimum( a flyer folded and stapled), you can usually get pretty cheap bulk mailer postage fees!!

IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #2 - Jan 10th, 2006 at 3:22am

Speaking as someone who is forever pulling these flimsy folded fliers out of the machines because they pull apart and get shredded and jam up the machines, please follow this advice.  The sturdier the letter the better the odds of it making it to its distant end.  if your not gonna use an envelope at least fold the paper into thirds as if you were to put it in a regular legal size envelope and tape (not staple) the bottom part at both ends and not a single tape it the middle.
     If I could show the whole world how the mail is processed then maybe I could actually convince people to do it right.  If any of you all ever have a question on how to mail something to better insure its safe arrival at it's destination please feel free to ask.  As for something like this, an envelope properly addressed and stamped is the BEST way to go.  
   As for bulk mailer fees, I don't thinkyour gonna save that much with the small amount you would mailing, not 100% sure about this though.
« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2006 at 3:26am by Philip Peak »  

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #3 - Jan 10th, 2006 at 11:00am

From what I remember from our computer group mailings, to use bulk mail rates now everything has to have typed labels with Zip+4 barcode, and then sort them before turning them in to the PO.  And they have to be minimum of 250 identical pieces.

JimQ
« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2006 at 12:48pm by JimQuarles »  

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #4 - Jan 10th, 2006 at 12:15pm

That's exactely right Jim.   8)

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

Reply #5 - Jan 10th, 2006 at 6:06pm

Have them printed as post cards.

Never miss a good chance to shut up.

IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

Formerly Nappen who said...Sleep
is for wimps

Reply #6 - Jan 15th, 2006 at 4:56am

Not to be a nay-sayer, but what do you do with all that unsolicited mail you get? It never even makes it into my house...goes in the bin, unless the paper looks good to shred for my compost pile. Undecided

I'm not addicted to coffee, it just keeps the headaches away.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print