Mark Sutton
WR Noob

inverness, United Kingdom
inverness
United Kingdom

Hello Newbie
Jan 12th, 2006 at 11:50pm

Hello to everyone.

I just though i would introduce myself.  I have been registered for a while, but never been brave enough to post a message.

My name is Mark (Alias Woodbutcher1), live in the Highlands of Scotland and have been turning for approximately 4 years, self taught, but went to local club after i bought my first lathe, which in reality was very small, just in case i didnt enjoy the hobby, i have been hooked ever since, adding new things to my portfolio whenever i get the time, which is only at the weekends mostly, and now on my third which is a Record CL4, have also bought many books on the subject, my latest is the Techniques of Spiral Turning by Stuart Mortimer, i am practising at the moment with this technique!  Hope fully i will put in a few pictures when i finish my first Spiral turning.

I recognise a few names on this site as they have been appraising some of my turnings which are in the Gallery on this site. 

I do like this site and its informative way it portrays this wonderful pastime.

Thank You

Woodie Wink

IP Logged

Larry Charlot
WR Addict

Professional Sawdust Maker

Yakima, Washington, Washington, USA
Yakima, Washington
Washington
USA

Re: Hello Newbie
Reply #1 - Jan 13th, 2006 at 6:33am

Welcome Aboard, Nice to see your posting, the more people post the more we can all learn from each other.  That is what this site is all about, at least I think so.

You do good work, I like your goblets

Larry

Want a better life, TURN it into something better

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #2 - Jan 13th, 2006 at 7:18am

Ditto to everything Larry said.  We have a pretty good time around here.  We tease and get teased.  We ask questions and offer our thoughts on the questions on others.  Sometimes we solve a problem or two.  Welcome.   8)

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jan 13th, 2006 at 7:22am

Welcome Mark. Nice turning work!

IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #4 - Jan 13th, 2006 at 9:35am

Welcome Mark.  Glad you finally found the courage to post.  Forums like this only get better when more people participate.  
     I checked out your website and you have some really nice stuff in there, I am really impressed with your goblets.  As you might have read we are currently in the starting phase of what we like to call a turning Challenge and Trade (C&T).  You can see photos of previous C&T's in the Photo Sharing Gallery.   Your more than welcome to join us.  In past challenges we have had several participants from "your side of the pond" as they say.  This current one even has one of our members who lives in Columbia South America participating.  I Personally have mailed two pieces to members in England.  Anyway, particpate or not you are more than welcome here.
   We are very informal and as RevDoug said sometimes we will tease each other and be teased, we ask questions and try to provide answers.  We may not always agree but we are willing to keep an open mind and realize that not everyone does things the same way and everyone has an opinion.   If there is information out there, someone here will usually be able to find it.  
« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2006 at 9:36am by Philip Peak »  

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Glenn
WR Addict

Reply #5 - Jan 14th, 2006 at 7:57pm

Welcome!  Glad to have you aboard.  Feel free to post whenever you want.  We're a rather mellow bunch here and appreciate new/different ideas.

IP Logged

steve haley

Reply #6 - Jan 14th, 2006 at 8:31pm

Welcome hope you enjoy youre time here.

Mechanic by day Woodturner by night

IP Logged

Tom Stover

Shepherdsville, Ky, Kentucky, USA
Shepherdsville, Ky
Kentucky
USA

Reply #7 - Jan 15th, 2006 at 8:36am

Welcome Mark. You'll like the people here.

Joseph T.(Tom) Stover

IP Logged

Mark Sutton
WR Noob

inverness
United Kingdom

Reply #8 - Jan 15th, 2006 at 11:34pm

Hi.

Thank you for your warm welcomes and your comments about my turnings, being self taught has its challenges, and i have learnt by mistakes, but don`t we all, that is one of the joys of Wood Turning.
With Ref the Goblets, i have won many a first prize in local competitions, and local shows, i do love turning them, i am working on a new one with a double barley twist stem, undecided whether to open it up or leave it, will post photo when completed.

I do fancy having a go at some of your challenges.  

Once again thank you

Woodie Wink
« Last Edit: Jan 15th, 2006 at 11:38pm by Mark Sutton »  
IP Logged

texascop47
WR Addict

What happened to that
web page?

Reply #9 - Jan 17th, 2006 at 7:52am

Sorry I was a little let but welcome aboard.  Great work and by all means keep posting.  It is thru the ideas of everyone that we can all grow and challenge each other.

keep the bevel rubbing
eeg520  
IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #10 - Jan 17th, 2006 at 9:12am

I have a question for you Woodbutcher1.   If your name is Mark is there a reason why you sign off yourposts as woody?  I understand it might be a nickname, I am curious as to how you got tagged with it?  
     And I was wondering if you are wanting to go ahead and participate in the current challenge.  Your more than welcome to.
« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2006 at 9:16am by Philip Peak »  

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Mark Sutton
WR Noob

inverness
United Kingdom

Reply #11 - Jan 17th, 2006 at 11:54pm

Its a Long Story.  To cut it short, i was nicknamed a while ago by friends because whenever i was seen i had wood in my hands, thinking what can be done with this.  I used to hack it to pieces, or so they said, thats how i got it.

I am interested in trying challenges, will put my name forward.  I have done Square Bowl Truning, just trying to perfect it.

Regards Mark

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print