Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Los Angeles, CA, California, USA
Los Angeles, CA
California
USA

exotics :) *Gloat*
Jan 16th, 2006 at 7:11pm

Got a chance to stop in Tropical Exotic Hardwoods on the way to a long weekend away with my girlfriend...nice catch she is, she spent about an hour in there with me picking out fun stuff.  A nice piece of Amboyna Burl, a large chunk of Tazmanian Rose Myrtle Burl (she picked out), 4 small chunksof Taz. Rose Myrtle Burl and 2 nice pieces of Gaboon Ebony.

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Re: exotics :) *Gloat*
Reply #1 - Jan 16th, 2006 at 7:19pm

To heck with the wood haul, tell us about the weekend.   Roll Eyes  Smiley Wink Cheesy

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Larry Charlot
WR Addict

Professional Sawdust Maker

Yakima, Washington, Washington, USA
Yakima, Washington
Washington
USA

Reply #2 - Jan 16th, 2006 at 7:48pm

I've been married for too long, tell me about the Wood Grin

Want a better life, TURN it into something better

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #3 - Jan 16th, 2006 at 7:57pm

Sounds like you brought home a nice haul.  And the wood sounds pretty nice too.   Congratulations on both.  8)

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #4 - Jan 16th, 2006 at 8:33pm

Sounds like you found a keeper.  Does she turn? Grin

JimQ

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

texascop47
WR Addict

What happened to that
web page?

Reply #5 - Jan 17th, 2006 at 7:47am

Chris you need to keep this one.  Just start her on the PM and we will be looking forward to her post.

keep the bevel rubbing
eeg520  
IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #6 - Jan 17th, 2006 at 9:09am

By the way Chris, your not letting her read these posts are you?   Embarrassed Undecided Roll Eyes

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Druids

Los Angeles, CA
California
USA

Reply #7 - Jan 17th, 2006 at 9:15am

You guys will have to wait for the finished projects to see the wood, but let me tell you, the piece of Amboyna Burl and the piece of Taz. Rose Myrtle Burl have exceptional grain patterns.  The Taz. Burl has some gorgouse lightning streaks in it, it should look 3 dimensional when turned.

As for the girlfriend, she likes turning and has requested a few things for herself, some of which are done.  She wants something out of one of the small Taz. burls that she helped pick out because she can't imagine what I can make from a piece 2" square x 4" tall and has a natural top edge.  She's in for a surprise.  Wink  I don't think she'll be turning anytime soon, she does beaded necklaces and volunteers for a couple of charities, so her hobby card is pretty much punched.  Smiley

I don't point them out, but she has visited the site Phil...she would probably get a chuckle out of the responses.
« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2006 at 9:17am by Chris Wright »  

Three Mutts Customs
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

badger

Woodbox 23

Reply #8 - Jan 17th, 2006 at 11:38am

You gotta post some pictures, you really do.

Smiley

My wife supports my turning, and lets me talk about all the cool stuff.  She likes the things I make, and has a request in for a set of turned handled on some butter knives like I gave out for christmas.   We support each others hobbies, I love that.

--==--==--&&Woodbox 23 (Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register)&&A daily weblog on woodworking, and woodturning.
IP Logged

junior
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jan 17th, 2006 at 5:17pm

my hobby "card" was overfilling when i bumped into turning, now it is still overfull, but i dropped several old hobbies at least for now. I am still on my honeymoon with my lathe. Every time i see it, i get excited! Every new species of wood gets my blood going. So all other hobbies don't even exist currently. I even dropped an online video game i played for about 5 years straight, just to have time to come here and read some threads!!

you never know, she may decide to take your lathe for a spin one day... then spend a week re-prioritizing (sp) her hobbies.

IP Logged

kidcolombia

Preferiria  estar torneando!!

Reply #10 - Jan 18th, 2006 at 5:27am

How about that.  My wife, who also supports my addiction, also makes necklaces from pearls and other precious and semiprecious stones.  Beautiful stuff indeed.  So your situation sounds ideal Chris.   Sounds like a "keeper!"

Jim

JIM

IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Druids

Los Angeles, CA
California
USA

Reply #11 - Jan 23rd, 2006 at 1:04pm

Well, Alicia came over last night while I was finishing up a new 8" bloodwood bowl and sat reading her magazine in the shop while I turned.  I asked if she wanted to give it a spin and she agreed.  She took a few "guided" passes with a 1/2" bowl gouge on the inside of the bowl and actually liked it.  She said when she's not wearing $90 shoes and the wood is not as nice she'd like to try it a bit more.

First she likes my work, then she actively visits an exotic wood store with me and now actually trying her hand at turning.....hmmm, definitely a keeper (and possibly a future woodturner)!  Smiley

Three Mutts Customs

IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

Formerly Nappen who said...Sleep
is for wimps

Reply #12 - Jan 23rd, 2006 at 4:04pm

Your a lucky guy Smiley

I'm not addicted to coffee, it just keeps the headaches away.

IP Logged

badger

Woodbox 23

Reply #13 - Jan 28th, 2006 at 12:41pm

Propose now!!!

--==--==--&&Woodbox 23 (Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register)&&A daily weblog on woodworking, and woodturning.
IP Logged

Tom_D
WR Noob

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #14 - Jan 31st, 2006 at 10:17pm

A girl with a nice set of burls could turn a mans head.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print