Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Here is something- (Read 1,326 times)

pa-paw

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Here is something-
Jan 27th, 2006 at 7:31pm

For you fellows to mull-over. I asked this question on another forum and I would like to get feed back here, as well.
I have been thinking of attempting some wall hangings. After turning a cylinder shape on a lathe, is it possible to safely make these two cuts using some other shop machine?
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Re: Here is something-
Reply #1 - Jan 27th, 2006 at 8:24pm

Cutting a cylinder that is not secured during the cut is never safe, but yes, a table saw will do both cuts, and a bandsaw will do the lower one. Plus, a jointer (or a router) can cut the upper rabbit if you are very cautious, and the depth is within the machine's capability.
« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2006 at 8:30pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Bob_Hadley

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Jan 27th, 2006 at 9:23pm

You did not indicate the diameter and length.

If it's not very large (3 inches OD, say), a router could do a nice job on the pie-slice... providing you create a suitable clamping fixture to hold the piece and guide the router.

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #3 - Jan 27th, 2006 at 9:43pm

It makes it easier to cut in any of those circumstances if you attach a block of wood to each end that are mounted exactly parallel to each other.  Then you can guide them across a flat surface, and along a fence on a table saw, band saw, or router table.

JimQ

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Jeff Matter

I got a new lathe for
my wife!! Good trade
eh?

Reply #4 - Jan 28th, 2006 at 4:04am

Thats what Ive done in the past also. I made a L shaped piece (two pieces of 3/4 plywood screwed together) set the cylinder in the "V" of the L and fasten it. then run the ply up against the fence. Careful not to put screws in the way of the blade.

IP Logged

Woodchip

Reply #5 - Jan 28th, 2006 at 7:13am

For the cylinder that is cut in half I would glue two billets together w/a brown paper bag between them to make up your turning square. Turn as normal and then seperate the two halfs w/a chisel. You end up with two halfs identical to one another and don't have to worry about sawing dangers. When glueing, apply glue to both pieces of wood and both sides of the brown paper bag. Brown craft paper works well too. Clamp it up like any other glue up  job and you are ready to turn.

You could do the same thing for the pie slice, using four quarters to make up your square turning blank. The only down side there is you would have to split all four sections apart when you are done turning, clean up the joint and then glue three of them back together. A little extra sweat equity, but no sawing.

This technique is used alot for adding decorative turned accents to flatwork and furniture. I have used it before for jewelry boxes and chests and it works wonderfully. The joint is very strong while you are turning but splits apart very easily and cleanly when you are ready. The only caveat is that you need to make sure you do not position the spurs of your drive center right on the glue lines or the pressure could start them splitting.

Hope this helps.  Smiley

-Tom
« Last Edit: Jan 28th, 2006 at 7:15am by Woodchip »  

Tom&&&&

IP Logged

pa-paw

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Jan 28th, 2006 at 7:41am

I'll print off these ideas, take them out to the shop, and figure out what works best, for me. All of your ideas look good. While I'm waiting for several rough bowls to dry, I thought I'd try something different. Thanks.

IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #7 - Jan 28th, 2006 at 12:15pm

The idea of glueing two pieces together with brown craft paper together turning it and then prying apart is an excellent and probably the safest idea.  The same process will also work for the quarter piece as well.  If you take a square block and, using the table saw, cut the section out then glue it back in with brown kraft paper (like they make paper grocery sacks out of) then turn it round.  Using a chisel you can then just pry out your quarter section real easy.

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Jim Underwood
WR Addict

It's better to turn than
burn...

Reply #8 - Jan 29th, 2006 at 8:13pm

We split Island Cabinet Legs on the table saw all the time.

The caveat is that they usually have square ends to locate them in one position. We also use a open topped plywood box to contain them while they are being split. The first cut is made halfway through, and then the piece is flipped 180 in the box, and then cut through the other half. (The first time you use your box it gets cut halfway through also. After that the half cut ends of the box hold it all together.)

The same thing could be done if you leave a square on each end of your pieces. For the birdmouth you could just turn your piece 90 degrees in the box.
« Last Edit: Jan 29th, 2006 at 8:22pm by Jim Underwood »  

Jim Underwood&&Fides quaerens intellectum&&

IP Logged

pa-paw

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #9 - Jan 30th, 2006 at 10:28am

It looks as if there are several ways to skin this cat. I'm experimenting with the paper bag method at the moment. Would you believe that paper bags are becoming extinct around my neck of the woods? At any rate, the bag method seems to be a safe way to do it. I'll know for sure when I go to splitting the turning. Thanks for the great responses.

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #10 - Jan 30th, 2006 at 12:59pm

If you're having a hard time finding paper bags, go to the hobby store and get some heavy craft paper.  It's the same difference.  Another "same" is the heavy packaging paper found in office supply section of Wally World.   8)

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Woodchip

Reply #11 - Jan 30th, 2006 at 2:48pm

You are right on the money there Rev. I have used brown craft paper in the past for this and similar projects.

-Tom

Tom&&&&

IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #12 - Jan 30th, 2006 at 6:00pm

I have also used regular notebook paper with equal success.

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Barbara Gill

WR Rocks!

Paper Bags
Reply #13 - Feb 1st, 2006 at 12:01am

Sams Club sells brown paper bags. You would have to do the math to see the difference between the craft paper and bags.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print