Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I'm proud of this one... (bowl) (Read 902 times)

badger

Woodbox 23

I'm proud of this one... (bowl)
Feb 2nd, 2006 at 9:17am

Last weekend I turned my first real (or close to real) sized bowl, with proper techniques (It's pretty obvious when you get it wrong.)

I laminated maple and cherry board cuts together, and turned a simple rice bowl shape.  I used the screw to drive it and shape the bottom of the bowl, then chucked it in my PSI chuck and turned the rest with my bowl gouge.  Hardly any catches, and only a little bit of tear out.  Finished with walnut oil since i intend to actually use this for food.  I left the tenon on the bottom, and just sanded it down on the belt sander.  I am hoping to build a "donut" chuck though to make it easier to finish the bottoms of bowls.

I'm pretty proud of this one, it turned out quite well.  It's probably the most complex thing I've done yet on the lathe, and I feel like I've move up a bit in skill. 

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Now, to make some more!

--==--==--&&Woodbox 23 (Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register)&&A daily weblog on woodworking, and woodturning.
IP Logged

jprosise

Re: I'm proud of this one... (bowl)
Reply #1 - Feb 2nd, 2006 at 11:53am

Progress is what it is all about.  Nice job!

IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 2nd, 2006 at 1:28pm

Nice laminated bowl, Badger.

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #3 - Feb 2nd, 2006 at 1:34pm

How about another pic, more of a profile.  Progress is the name of the game.  Each piece should take you a bit further down the road.  Keep 'em coming.   8)

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

kidcolombia

Preferiria  estar torneando!!

Reply #4 - Feb 2nd, 2006 at 6:11pm

Hey Badger, that is a very nice looking bowl, and laminated yet.  Congratulations!  Your comments reveal the tons of satisfaction that this success has brought you, and that is as it should be.  Make a few more, then move on to something more difficult.  The truth is that bowl turning is darn difficult to master, thus the suggestion that you make a few more. 

Good luck!

JIM

IP Logged

Jimmy Cusic

Just a bit,  a skew!!

Garland Tx, Texas, USA
Garland Tx
Texas
USA

Reply #5 - Feb 2nd, 2006 at 7:51pm

YES  Nice job!!!  Your first "real" bowl always means something special. 
Now that you got the technique down... or at least understand the method, you will start looking at form. That has kept me busy for the past year...  Chris and others can comment on form, it will make you or break you...  But it's still fun making the chips fly... Grin

IP Logged

badger

Woodbox 23

Reply #6 - Feb 3rd, 2006 at 9:16am

Thanks for the support guys!

I'm hoping to make a few more of this style, and I already have someone who wants to buy 2 sets of 4 from me. Yikes! 

I told them let me make a few more before I commit. Smiley

badger

--==--==--&&Woodbox 23 (Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register)&&A daily weblog on woodworking, and woodturning.
IP Logged

Jim Underwood
WR Addict

It's better to turn than
burn...

Reply #7 - Feb 3rd, 2006 at 9:44am

Nice job man, and congratulations.

Definitely go make some more. It really makes a difference if you make a lot of the same thing.

Jim Underwood&&Fides quaerens intellectum&&

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print