WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Tool stock
Feb 3rd, 2006 at 11:15pm

I had a tax client who mentioned that they get HSS boring bars that they have to cut 6-8" shorter to use in their machine tools.  Diameters range from 1/4 - 3/4"  Would the cut-offs make good turning tool blanks?  He could weld 2 pieces together for me if I need them longer. 

They also occassionally have flat HSS bar stock.  1/8 - 1/2" thick, and as much as 2" wide.

What about carbide cutter scraps?

JimQ

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Re: Tool stock
Reply #1 - Feb 4th, 2006 at 3:14am

Jim
   I would think that you could find use for those pieces if you tried.  As a matter of fact I would not mind getting my hand on some of that myself.

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Larry Charlot
WR Addict

Professional Sawdust Maker

Yakima, Washington, Washington, USA
Yakima, Washington
Washington
USA

Reply #2 - Feb 4th, 2006 at 4:52am

All of that could go to good use, smaller pieces for boring bars, larger pieces you could make small scrapers, parting tools, and I am sure the people around here can come up with more.

Want a better life, TURN it into something better

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #3 - Feb 4th, 2006 at 8:44am

Get all you can and share the wealth with your buds here on WR!   8)

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Ken Grunke

I finally got around to
it!

SW Wisconsin, Wisconsin, USA
SW Wisconsin
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #4 - Feb 4th, 2006 at 3:24pm

Definitely a good find. Hard to find HSS in the bigger sizes, or it's pretty expensive. The best I've found is at Wholesale Tools, which has 1/2" d by 8" long round HSS toolbits, good for making a round skew or a skewchigouge. Only $3.45--but they don't have anything else in the 8" length.

Home Page: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register and webmaster, Coulee Region Woodturners of SW Wisconsin - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Ken Grunke  
IP Logged

tejaswood

WWW.TEJASWOOD.C OM

Reply #5 - Feb 4th, 2006 at 4:38pm

Good find, I am no expert, but I remember reading somewhere not to use carbide for turning tools. From what I remember the carbide is very brittle and if you get a catch could blow apart.. Just my two cents worth.
Mike

IP Logged

Woodchip

Reply #6 - Feb 4th, 2006 at 6:14pm

I have also heard that carbide is not very good for turning tools. I understand that it cannot be made to be a sharp as HSS due to its structure. Don't know if that is true or not though. No doubt what edge you get would last quite a while though! I would be concerned about the brittleness too.

Good find on the HSS though! I went to a couple of local metal suppliers to try and find some 1/2" thick stock for bowl scrapers. They told me they could order it up easy, if I agreed to the 20 linear foot minimum order!!! A little pricey for me wallet. Wink

-Tom

Tom&&&&

IP Logged

Jim Underwood
WR Addict

It's better to turn than
burn...

Reply #7 - Feb 4th, 2006 at 7:57pm

I think that the HSS could definitely be used.

I'd be quite leery of welding them together though. Welding creates quite a bit of stress, and doesn't always penetrate. I'd always be afraid of it breaking at the edge of a weld.

Jim Underwood&&Fides quaerens intellectum&&

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #8 - Feb 4th, 2006 at 9:59pm

Thanks for all the input.  I don't think I would have to worry about the welding making it all the way through, most of the work they are doing is under aviation contracts.  Everything is X-rayed and sonogramed for thoroughness of the welds, and they're running better than 98.5% acceptance.  Let me see what I can get, then I will post some more info.  Probably be a couple of weeks before I get together with him again.  My next days off are for the Desert Woodturning Roundup. 

JimQ

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

badger

Woodbox 23

Reply #9 - Feb 6th, 2006 at 10:33am

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I've used them for aluminum, but not sure if the tool steel they sell is the right kind of steel for turning tools.

badger

--==--==--&&Woodbox 23 (Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register)&&A daily weblog on woodworking, and woodturning.
IP Logged

Glenn
WR Addict

Reply #10 - Feb 8th, 2006 at 2:00pm

I've gotten tool steel from McMaster-Carr ( Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register ) and didn't have to buy 20 linear feet.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print