Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I just couldn't wait (Read 1,017 times)

pa-paw

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

I just couldn't wait
Feb 5th, 2006 at 10:22am

This bowl received its alcohol bath thirteen days ago. I have weighed it every day and noticed very little change in its rough turned weight of 16 oz., so I’m gambling that it has stabilized. I’m still not sure of the species, but it does not suffer tear-out. This is my very first bowl and I hope I don’t mess it up.
I just couldn't waitMultimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Re: I just couldn't wait
Reply #1 - Feb 5th, 2006 at 3:08pm

Looks to me like you've got a good one started.  Be sure to show us the finished product.  8)

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

E. Bud Gillaspie
WR Addict

Where'd I put that round
tuit?

Reply #2 - Feb 5th, 2006 at 6:10pm

I echo Rev.'s comments. If you finish it well then you'll have a very pretty bowl.

E. Bud Gillaspie Umpqua Turning Club

IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Feb 5th, 2006 at 6:30pm

Nice lookin' bowl and wood, should be pretty when you are finished with it.

IP Logged

Jim Underwood
WR Addict

It's better to turn than
burn...

Reply #4 - Feb 5th, 2006 at 7:13pm

Congrats on the first bowl. Looks a whole lot better than my first...

Jim Underwood&&Fides quaerens intellectum&&

IP Logged

pa-paw

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Feb 5th, 2006 at 7:46pm

Well, things are not working out well with this bowl. Things were looking sort of ok until I begin the finishing the thing. Whether or not it can be blamed on the alcohol drying process, I’m not sure. There are areas in the bowl of very tiny voids, no larger than mere specks. I tried sanding them out, with no success. I had already cleaned the base using a friction chuck and had begun finishing the bowl with a clear lacquer. It was then that I noticed a discoloration inside the bowl and another area on the rim. Fine grit sandpaper only made the areas darker. Not having a vacuum chuck, I don’t know how I might be able to clean up the inside. Oh well, it’s my first try at a bowl and something I’ll learn from. If I had it to do over again, I would probably go with a different type of finish. Just about everything I know about turning bowls, I learned from reading the messages on this forum. Heck, I got one made, even if it wasn’t a perfect bowl. Thanks for your input. Undecided

IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Feb 5th, 2006 at 8:12pm

Little imperfections (or sometimes big ones) will not hurt the looks of your bowl. Just finish over them and smooth it all out with 0000 steel wool, then wax it. Then it is posting time.  Grin

IP Logged

Larry Charlot
WR Addict

Professional Sawdust Maker

Yakima, Washington, Washington, USA
Yakima, Washington
Washington
USA

Reply #7 - Feb 5th, 2006 at 8:51pm

And a camera is one dimensional, show the best side Grin

Want a better life, TURN it into something better

IP Logged

pa-paw

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - Feb 6th, 2006 at 10:27am

I just recently joined a woodturners club in Denton, Texas, which will meet tonight. I think that I will just take the bowl, imperfections and all to the meeting. Those folks should be able to tell me where I went wrong, with the finish.

IP Logged

Jim Underwood
WR Addict

It's better to turn than
burn...

Reply #9 - Feb 6th, 2006 at 6:45pm

Sounds like one of two things or both.

It sounds as if you had some tearout when you were cutting the bowl. Then the sandpaper didn't clean it all up. Tearout happens in endgrain and is usually caused by a dull tool. This is why turners sharpen often and have their grinder near the lathe. It reduces sanding time to have a sharp tool.

As if that wasn't bad enough, the sandpaper may have left little parts of itself in the pores and tearout.

I had the sandpaper shed itself in the pores of an Alder letter opener once. I noticed it when I took it to a friend for him to finish. Unfortunately he just sprayed over it trapping the abrasive under the finsh. I took lacquer thinner and washed most of it out. When I finally got enough lacquer on it, it looked ok. But I never did get all the black specks out of it.

Taking the bowl to the meeting is definitely a good idea.

Jim Underwood&&Fides quaerens intellectum&&

IP Logged

pa-paw

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Taking the bowl to the meeting is definitely a goo
Reply #10 - Feb 6th, 2006 at 8:22pm

Jim, you hit the nail right on the head. The folks at the meeting basically repeated what you said. My problem was end grain tear out and a not very sharp tool. My tools are of the cheap-o variety, so I’ll blame it on that. I actually sharpen them fairly often.

IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Feb 6th, 2006 at 9:24pm

I do not know what the "cheapo variety" is, but as far as "sharp" goes, regular (inexpensive) carbon steel tools will take a finer/sharper edge than HSS tools will (and much sharper than carbide). The only problem is that carbon steel tools will not hold that fine/sharp edge anywhere near as long as HSS tools will. So we buy HSS tools for their ability to hold a “decent” edge for a much longer time. Other wise, if all of my tools were carbon steel, they would cut great, BUT I would be Re-sharpening them much more often than if they were HSS. Also, I do not hone any of my turning tools (Straight from the grinder to the wood), except the skews, and they get a diamond hone.
Back to the grinder.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print