Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
handle length. (Read 793 times)

mnt.jeremy

try again.( words which
I have heard alot)

handle length.
Feb 8th, 2006 at 11:23am

is there a prefered handle length for turning tools. or is it all relitive with what you are turning?

And if I wanted to turn some of my own handles what would be the best wood to use.

IP Logged

Bob Hamilton
WR Addict

Forest, Ontario, Canada, Ontario, Canada
Forest, Ontario, Canada
Ontario
Canada

Re: handle length.
Reply #1 - Feb 8th, 2006 at 12:12pm

Hi:
I would say the handle length should be whatever is comfortable for you for that particular tool.  A big bowl gouge would need a longer handle than a small spindle gouge simply because you need more leverage to take big bites of wood, but the small gouge should still have a handle long enough so you aren't making major changes to your posture when switching between tools.  If you are comfortable and accustomed to holding a tool one way you don't want to be forced to change simply because the tool handle is shorter on the next tool.

As far as material goes any good solid hardwood should be fine.  My Sorby roughing gouge has an ash handle and my Henry Taylor gouges have close grained handles, maybe maple, birch or beech.  That said, I have a little 1/4" spindle gouge that I needed a handle for and didn't have any suitably sized hardwood around so I made the handle from a length of spruce 2x4.  It seems to work fine.  Smiley  My favourite handle that I made myself is made from a piece of dogwood.  It is a wonderful wood to turn.

Good Luck!
Bob

IP Logged

mnt.jeremy

try again.( words which
I have heard alot)

Reply #2 - Feb 8th, 2006 at 1:41pm

I guess is assumed that the longer the handle the harder the wood needs to be. but I guess it isn't an ax, so strength of the wood isn't really a factor??

IP Logged

Glenn
WR Addict

Reply #3 - Feb 8th, 2006 at 1:53pm

I have used ash, oak and walnut for tool handles.  Hickory is prized for its shock resistance so it would be an excellant choice as would hard maple.  I would probably not use softwoods or stuff like soft maple, box elder or poplar although they should work fine on smaller tools.

Length is matter of personal preferance as wall as intended use.  If you are making a handle for a tool that will be used well beyond the tool rest (1 1/2" scraper or bowl gouge), you will want a longer handle for the leverage advantage (as well as added weight).  The handle for a skew, especially if you are rolling beads would be easier to handle (no pun intended, really) if it was shorter.  Unless, of course, you like the handle longer.

IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Los Angeles, CA, California, USA
Los Angeles, CA
California
USA

Reply #4 - Feb 21st, 2006 at 4:25pm

In talking to Stuart Batty about this awhile back, his thought was that the handle should be 1 1/2 times as long as the blade of the tool for leverage and weight.  Another good thought is to hollow out the end and add weight with a substance such as lead shot to dampen vibration.

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

Don McIvor

turned pro

Twisp, WA, Washington, USA
Twisp, WA
Washington
USA

Reply #5 - Feb 21st, 2006 at 9:12pm

Here's another rule of thumb: the handle should be 5 times the length that the chisel will extend past the tool rest. So, if your going to hang the end of your chisel 3 inches over the rest, your handle should be 15 inches. Can't remember where I read that (probably several places), but it has been a useful guideline for me.

I've been using recovered hardwood from shipping pallets to make handles for my tools. No two are alike, which is helpful, and I've ended up with some interesting tropical hardwoods that you'd probably not want to otherwise pay money for only to turn them into tool handles.

Don

Don
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print