Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Introduction (Read 1,209 times)

WKuhn
WR Noob

Introduction
Feb 18th, 2006 at 10:40am

Hello, I’m the new guy here.
My name is Wayne and I am a turnaholic, there I said it.
I have been woodworking as a serious hobby since 2000.
I joined a wood turning club (Baltimore Area Turners ) last year and have sliding down that slippery slope ever since.
I  have spent many $$ on my hobby in the past, however since I just upgraded my lathe from a sears mono-tube to a Grizzly G0462. Things have gotten worse.  So I thought I would come here for some help to control the urges.  I can’t go into my shop with-out at least turning a pen or just making wood chips fly with my practice scraps.  My tablesaw, jointer and planer are getting jealous.  I fear they are planning an intervention.  BTW, my wife is an enabler, she let me purchase my new lathe as a birthday present a month in advance and I have not heard a peep about the other purchases that followed.
I have really enjoyed reading the posts here and have gained a lot of useful info.  None about how to quit this addiction.  Are you all enablers also?
I really have an urge to post other info here about myself, my lathe and other projects.
I need help.

IP Logged

E. Bud Gillaspie
WR Addict

Where'd I put that round
tuit?

Re: Introduction
Reply #1 - Feb 18th, 2006 at 11:25am

Wayne, all you need to do to keep your planer/jointer from getting jelous is to do segmented turnings. You'll need both those tools to true-up blocks before cutting segments w/your bandsaw. Hummmm, no bandsaw? Scrollsaw? See, you need more toys as well. Roll Eyes

Lathes are for makin' pretty ribbons of wood on the way to makin' a pretty bowl, vase, whatever. Just remember to keep the tools sharp and play safely.

Oh, feel free to post whatever it is that pleases/bugs ya about our "hobby", including pics in the galleries.

Welcome to "vortex reinforcement" WR-style Wink
« Last Edit: Feb 18th, 2006 at 11:27am by E. Bud Gillaspie »  

E. Bud Gillaspie Umpqua Turning Club

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #2 - Feb 18th, 2006 at 12:37pm

Vortex Reinforcement - now that really is what it is isn't it?  I echo those sentiments, welcome to the vortex, black hole, what ever you want to call it.  BTW, my table saw isn't even plugged in.   8)

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Jerry Goodhue

I'd rather turn it - than
burn it!

Shepherdsville, Kentucky, USA
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
USA

Reply #3 - Feb 18th, 2006 at 1:53pm

Welcome Wayne!
I am fairly new on here myself but have had the same addiction as you for a couple of years.
There is no escape! Dont even try to control the urges, your hooked brother and thats that.  Grin

E.bud is right about the segmenting, its about the only time my other tools get some playtime. Unless I do some flatwork. But who has time for flatwork when is the lathe is calling.

IP Logged

jprosise

Reply #4 - Feb 18th, 2006 at 1:57pm

Wayne, welcome to WR.  Yes we are a group of enablers.  BTW my table saw is now just a table.

IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Feb 18th, 2006 at 2:27pm

Hello Wayne, welcome to WR. Nice folks live here.
This is really not the best place to solicit advise on "quitting woodturning". BUT, if you must, just post some of your work and we can tell what garbage you are creating, thus you may roll over and sell your lathe. Of course, if your work is tolerable, we may tell you what lovely things you are creating, thus encouraging you to turn more, and more, and more.
Buy a ticket, and take a chance. 

Grin Shocked Grin

IP Logged

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

Reply #6 - Feb 18th, 2006 at 3:11pm

Welcome aboard Wayne.

Quitting? You'll get about as much help in quitting around here as you might get on drying up at a redneck barbeque. But then, why would a guy want to do either one?

Never miss a good chance to shut up.

IP Logged

WKuhn
WR Noob

Reply #7 - Feb 18th, 2006 at 7:25pm

Can't say I didn't try,  prolly goin to bbq tmr at my neighbors talk about a great guy.  Redneck as it gets.
He will have all his nascar flags flying tommorow.

IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #8 - Feb 18th, 2006 at 8:49pm

Hello Wayne
     I saw your post earlier but was unable to reply.  Quite the sense of humor you go there dude, huh, you were kidding right?!  Wink.  I mean who in their right mind would want to quit this mind-numbing relaxing and totally enjoyable hobby after watching piece after hard turned piece shatter and explode after hours and painstaking hours of backbreaking hollowing and finishing...
    Oh, excuse me, went off track there for a moment.  Just wanted to say welcome and hope you will be an active participant here.  All thoughts and views as pertaining to the art of turning are welcome and we even don't mind if we go a little off topic once in a while (like that never happens  Roll Eyes ).

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

WKuhn
WR Noob

Reply #9 - Feb 18th, 2006 at 9:18pm

Yep, just kidding.  Woodworking has been one of the most enjoyable, rewarding  hobbies I have gotten into.
When I go into my shop after a rough day I can actually feel the stress melt away with every turn of my lathe or turn of a saw blade.
Fishing comes in at a close second.

IP Logged

Larry Charlot
WR Addict

Professional Sawdust Maker

Yakima, Washington, Washington, USA
Yakima, Washington
Washington
USA

Reply #10 - Feb 18th, 2006 at 9:19pm

Welcome Wayne, Philip said it all, and I resemble his remarks, numb explosions and all.

This site is like having a turning club in your pocket ready to help whenever you need it.

Larry

Want a better life, TURN it into something better

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #11 - Feb 18th, 2006 at 9:37pm

Welcome Wayne.  As you may have noticed, we are very carefree enablers!  We don't even take our advice to stop seriously. 

I just got back from the first day of the Desert Woodturning Roundup here in Phoenix.  I spent too much, got sawdust in my hair, met a bunch of people who have just been names on other (un-named) websites, took a lot of pictures (which I will select some and post next week), oh, and I spent too much.  Grin 

And I figured that I would be able to resist going just because it was in the middle of tax season (I am a tax preparer).  Grin

JimQ

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Rick in Lincoln
WR Addict

keep on turnin'

Reply #12 - Feb 19th, 2006 at 11:04am

Welcome to the WR, Wayne.  We will not be able to help you.  There is no hope. Surrender to the vortex....

Grin

A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print