Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What am I doing wrong? (Read 2,149 times)

pa-paw

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

What am I doing wrong?
Feb 18th, 2006 at 11:43am

I’ve tried turning three bowls so far, and I’m having the same reoccurring problem. The bowls finish ok, with the exception of a part of the outside and inside edges of one side. I can’t seem to sand out the tool marks on the side opposite of the perfect side. Help

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Re: What am I doing wrong?
Reply #1 - Feb 18th, 2006 at 12:34pm

Put a heavy coat of a good paste wax on it, let it dry a few minutes and then use a sharp scraper with a light touch.  Should help.   8)

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Rick Davenport

Reply #2 - Feb 18th, 2006 at 1:02pm

You're probably dealing with end grain tear out.
I run into the same problem, but usually it occurs on both sides of the bowl where I'm cutting end grain.
Do what RevDoug said.
He knows lots more than I do.

Rick

"Life shouldn't be dull."
IP Logged

pa-paw

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Feb 18th, 2006 at 1:14pm

Quote:
You're probably dealing with end grain tear out.
I run into the same problem, but usually it occurs on both sides of the bowl where I'm cutting end grain.
Do what RevDoug said.
He knows lots more than I do.
Nope, the end grain on these bowls run bottom to top.

Rick

IP Logged

E. Bud Gillaspie
WR Addict

Where'd I put that round
tuit?

Reply #4 - Feb 18th, 2006 at 1:21pm

Rick, you have a great source for both learning and answering questions right in Edmonds, WA. Her name is Molly Winton. She's a notable turner/carver.

Also, da Rev. has given the same information I'd have given. I sometimes carefully use a cabinetmaker's scraper--slow speed, leather gloves, & a tight grip on the scraper.

E. Bud Gillaspie Umpqua Turning Club

IP Logged

jprosise

Reply #5 - Feb 18th, 2006 at 2:00pm

Sometimes a good coat of sanding sealer will stiffen the fibers and make them easier to scrape or cut with the gouge.  You can friction dry it on the lathe using a paper towel in about 20 seconds.

IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Feb 18th, 2006 at 2:11pm

Do you think that, maybe, you are impressing compression tracks with the heel of your gouge? Riding the bevel is good, but too much bevel pressure will compress the wood fibers in a racetrack fashion. Just a thought, it has happened to me, and sometimes it shows up weeks after finishing is done (and I do not know why).

IP Logged

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

Reply #7 - Feb 18th, 2006 at 2:58pm

Hey pa-paw, if you find the way to turn a bowl without a little tearout, before you pass it along to everyone else get a patent on it. It will make you famous (among woodturners anyway). My experience is that all wood will do it to some degree whether its endgrain or with the grain running up and down, green usually alittle worse that dry. Sharp tools help a lot, and any type of lubricant on the final cuts helps (I like to use WD40). But in the end I've never turned a bowl yet that didn't require some serious sanding in those spots you pointed out. That's why there are so many discussions on power sanding and tools to make the sanding a little easier and faster.

If bowls could be turned without any tearout, these folks would know how....

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

But they still have to sand theirs too.

« Last Edit: Feb 18th, 2006 at 3:03pm by Curt Fuller »  

Never miss a good chance to shut up.

IP Logged

Larry Charlot
WR Addict

Professional Sawdust Maker

Yakima, Washington, Washington, USA
Yakima, Washington
Washington
USA

Reply #8 - Feb 18th, 2006 at 4:13pm

I would say end grain tear out as well, also less presure and speed with the sandpaper.

Rick, welcome aboard I am just over the Mountain in Yakima.

Nice website Rick as well. Smiley

Larry

Want a better life, TURN it into something better

IP Logged

Rick Davenport

Reply #9 - Feb 18th, 2006 at 5:08pm

Thanks for the welcome neighbor Larry.

And Bud, I have met Molly at my first meeting with the Seattle AAW.  I offered to give her a ride, but I had just met her on the internet and her husband didn't like all the knives on my website Undecided

I've been turning for about 9 months now and just got a new Powermatic 3520 yesterday.
A real step up from my Delta midi. 

For the time being my middle name is "tearout" until I can prove otherwise.

Hope to learn lots from you folks and will spread any applicable fertilizer if the opportunity presents itself.

Rick

"Life shouldn't be dull."
IP Logged

pa-paw

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

It's not tear out
Reply #10 - Feb 18th, 2006 at 5:26pm

The problem is more like unequal pressure with the tool or sandpaper. Things seem to wind up uneven, even though I'm moving my sandpaper around and applying pressure. One side is great, but 180 degrees across it stays rough. I know it sounds crazy.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Embarrassed

IP Logged

Jim_Ketron

Reply #11 - Feb 18th, 2006 at 6:23pm

Got Reverse?

Have Chainsaw- Will Travel
IP Logged

pa-paw

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #12 - Feb 18th, 2006 at 6:41pm

Quote:
Got Reverse?

No I don't. The bowl is history anyhow. First of all, part of the side tore off as I was roughing it. I glued it back on and filled the cracks with epoxy and brass shavings. Lastly the edge split down in two places, when I decided to apply some water based dye to the bowl as it was rotating on the lathe. It looks as if I’m writing a text book on the no, no’s of bowl turning..LOL. In other words, don't do as I do. At least I know what not to do now. Cry

IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

Formerly Nappen who said...Sleep
is for wimps

Reply #13 - Feb 19th, 2006 at 4:25am

Is the wood wet when you start, perhaps it is starting to warp a bit as it drys and that bit of uneveness in the curve leaves and unsanded and an oversanded area. Just a thought, most likely tearout if it is rough, or bevel pressure if it is more line like in nature.

I'm not addicted to coffee, it just keeps the headaches away.

IP Logged

Jeff Matter

I got a new lathe for
my wife!! Good trade
eh?

Reply #14 - Feb 19th, 2006 at 6:31am

If the bowl has warped or distorted depending on which way, the low spot on the inside would be the high spot on the outside, thus when sanding the outside, the paper would cut more of that spot removing the marks. When I get trouble spots like that, I get out the drill with a 2" padded disk with 220 or finer on it  and sand away those spots (with the lathe stopped). Be carfull not to grind to much away out of one spot. Once the spot is almost gone  I turn the lathe back on and use the drill to  go over the whole piece again.
   If that doesnt get the mark out, I whip out the ole 60 or 80 grit gouge and go to town. If the bowl is warped, this method will not have a favorable outcome

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print