Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Spindle Speed (Read 760 times)

pa-paw

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Spindle Speed
Feb 19th, 2006 at 12:15pm

I’m sort of stuck with an old technology lathe, so I’m working with the pulley and belt system. As I understand it, my spindle speed might be too high for safe bowl turning. At least that’s the feeling over on the Woodnet forum. What do I have to do with what I’ve got in order to get down to that magic 700 RPM spindle speed? I’m not positive, but I think that my motor’s RPM is 1725. Sorry, I don’t any paperwork on the lathe. The pulleys are both step-downs of four which run from 4” O.D. down to 2” O.D. Thanks.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

diver

When all i said and done
more is said than done

Re: Spindle Speed
Reply #1 - Feb 19th, 2006 at 12:32pm

Hello Pawpa
Im no turning expert yetbut I know in Canada you can find pulleys in many hardware outlets
Id just measure the o/d of your motor shaft and go to our local DIY place and look for a 1 inch pully or a larger driven pulley to reduce your speed.
Diver

IP Logged

Freddie Hicks
WR Addict

Lubbock, Texas, USA
Lubbock
Texas
USA

Reply #2 - Feb 19th, 2006 at 1:20pm

Here is a web site with a speed calculator  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
For 700rpm you need a 1" pulley on the motor and a 4" pulley on the lathe shaft or a 2" pulley on the motor and a 5" pulley on the shaft, that is if you have your motor speed correct.
« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2006 at 1:40pm by Freddie Hicks »  

Mi Vida Echa en Madera

IP Logged

Bob Hamilton
WR Addict

Forest, Ontario, Canada, Ontario, Canada
Forest, Ontario, Canada
Ontario
Canada

Reply #3 - Feb 19th, 2006 at 1:24pm

Hi:
You don't actually angle your belt like that, do you?  I believe the belt should always be straight from one pulley to the other, never angled.  If your motor is 1725 rpm then the set-up you show would yield 4 different speeds ranging from a low of ~835 rpm to a high of 3450 rpm.  If you could get a step pulley for the driven shaft that had a 6" step at the big end then your low end speed would drop to 575 rpm.

Take care
Bob

IP Logged

pa-paw

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Feb 19th, 2006 at 1:51pm

Quote:
Hi:
You don't actually angle your belt like that, do you?  I believe the belt should always be straight from one pulley to the other, never angled.  If your motor is 1725 rpm then the set-up you show would yield 4 different speeds ranging from a low of ~835 rpm to a high of 3450 rpm.  If you could get a step pulley for the driven shaft that had a 6" step at the big end then your low end speed would drop to 575 rpm.
Yep, guilty as charged.  That just shows you how stupid a frustrated fellow can get. I’ve tried all sorts of arrangements. This is not in defense of that misguided setup, but the motor and lower pulleys are on a floating hinge, similar to a contractor saw. I doubt that I could get a 6” pulley inside the headstock housing, but could probably go larger on the motor shaft.

Take care
Bob

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #5 - Feb 19th, 2006 at 3:06pm

Pa-Paw, for rough turning you're going to want to be slower than 700.  One of the issues that I have with turning on my ShopSmith is that the slowest speed is 500 rpm's.  Way too fast. 

If I were you, I'd work at getting the smallest pully I could put on the motor and the largest I could on the spindle.  Use the calculator that was linked to above and figure out what sizes you need.   8)

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Bob Hamilton
WR Addict

Forest, Ontario, Canada, Ontario, Canada
Forest, Ontario, Canada
Ontario
Canada

Reply #6 - Feb 19th, 2006 at 4:51pm

Hi:
If the floating hinge is or can be arranged to allow the motor/lower pulley to slide sideways so the belts grooves will line up then you could get more intermediate speeds by using the different combinations of sizes, but the upper and lower end would still be the same. 

If you can't get a bigger pulley on the headstock spindle then maybe you could set up some pillow blocks with an intermediate shaft to get more speeds.  You would need to turn the motor pulley around end for end and put the intermediate shaft step pulley in the same orientation that the motor pulley is now.  Assuming all three step pulleys are the same size as the two you have pictured, then that would put your low end speed down to ~420 rpm.  You might run into problems with intermediate speeds and the belts interfering with each other when trying to change speeds though.

Good Luck!
Bob

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print