Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New bowl reversing tool (Read 1,413 times)

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

New bowl reversing tool
Mar 17th, 2006 at 6:33pm

I get a flyer via email from Craft Supplies and in today's theres a thing for reverse mounting bowls that looks like it would work pretty slick. Has anyone used this or heard anything good/bad about it? It looks like it would be great for finishing the bottom of natural edge bowls.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Never miss a good chance to shut up.

IP Logged

Jeff Matter

I got a new lathe for
my wife!! Good trade
eh?

Re: New bowl reversing tool
Reply #1 - Mar 17th, 2006 at 6:46pm

looks like a sanding disc with some heavier foam on it. It wont automatically center up your bowl either. I use a home made vacumm chuck cylinder ( 4"pvc with split nylon tubing around the top edge mounted to a groove on plywood mounted to faceplate). With tailstock brought up it works great....then turn on the vacumm pump and finish off the bottom.............if it seals good......if not I finish the lil nub off by hand

IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Los Angeles, CA, California, USA
Los Angeles, CA
California
USA

Reply #2 - Mar 17th, 2006 at 7:08pm

Curt, I had the same thought and actually bought one...don't waste your money.  The foam gives ALOT and won't center up the bowl as Sky mentions.  I tried it twice and then threw it in the lesson learned pile.  It may work better on thicker wall bowls if you really tightened up the tailstock and smashed it in the bowl, but with the thin bowls I usually do it is worthless.

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

E. Bud Gillaspie
WR Addict

Where'd I put that round
tuit?

Reply #3 - Mar 17th, 2006 at 8:08pm

Curt, you can make one quite easily: Get a cheap, 2"-3" face plate, cut a sacrificial block the same dia. & mount it to the face plate, cut some carpet pad alittle bigger than the block & glue it on, then cover that w/a piece of old chamois & staple the chamois to the block. Mine has worked well for over two years.

Another of Mother Necessity's inventions. Grin

E. Bud Gillaspie Umpqua Turning Club

IP Logged

Keith_Bundy

Ky. turner

Reply #4 - Mar 17th, 2006 at 8:18pm

Curt - I've done it with less than Bud. Sometimes I just mount a faceplate and put a thin sheet of close celled foam between it and the bowl. Works like a dream.

IP Logged

E. Bud Gillaspie
WR Addict

Where'd I put that round
tuit?

Reply #5 - Mar 17th, 2006 at 8:42pm

Keith, I became tired of trying to hold the bowl & the foam and tryin' to line up the tail stock.

E. Bud Gillaspie Umpqua Turning Club

IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #6 - Mar 17th, 2006 at 8:56pm

Bud, why not try using just a small amount of scotch tape or even a small piece of double-sided tape to hold the foam in place

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

Reply #7 - Mar 17th, 2006 at 9:30pm

That's what I like about WR. Quick answers!

Thanks for the heads up and the great suggestions.

IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #8 - Mar 17th, 2006 at 9:42pm

I had thought of something else too when I saw that contraption.  Why not take a sanding pad and maybe like some one suggested and adhere a piece of carpet pad or maybe a piece of neoprene rubber and try that to see if it works. 
     Which brings up a question.  Where can one buy neoprene sheeting or pieces of neoprene?

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Keith_Bundy

Ky. turner

Reply #9 - Mar 18th, 2006 at 12:45am

Hey Phil, if you find out where to get neoprene let me know.

IP Logged

Tony Wheeler
WR Addict

Reply #10 - Mar 18th, 2006 at 5:00am

I don't know if it is neoprene or not but, you used tto be able to get sheet of a rubber type material for making gaskets at the auto parts store.  I don't know about the chain stores like o'reily or auto zone but the old napa store carried it.  You know real auto parts stores not the one that the computers asks if it is a four or two doors to get brake shoes.  I will try to check in town today

Walton Kansas

IP Logged

Capt. Eddie Castelin

Makin' Shavin's

Old Jefferson, LA (burb of N.O, Louisiana, USA
Old Jefferson, LA (burb of N.O
Louisiana
USA

Reply #11 - Mar 18th, 2006 at 6:25am

I thought I invented this gizmo.  i did this once with a small jar and an old sanding pad.  It workd great for a 3" piece.  Then when I tried a 6" version I really screwed the pooch.  It think it's still hanging on the wall, but only because I haven't cleaned out that section of the shop this year.  I do a sacrificial circle out of MDF, super glued to another MDF circle on a faceplate I keep just for returning.  I glue it up, clamp for a minute and then turn to the right diameter and angle.  I then cover it with a closed cell product sold at Home Depot to put over those wire shelves everybody is puttin in closets.  It's sort of like drawer liner, but very heavy.  It doesn't shift like the draw liner stuff.
If you haven't tried this next technique, do so.  One-Way makes an adapter for their revolving center which makes it easy to mount your chuck or faceplate on your tailstock. You take your piece, still on the faceplate or chuck and mount it on your tailstock.  You then make up your "deadman" or returning piece and bring the two together.  You get to check the fit and you are absolutely sure it's aligned.  You can start your backside work and then remove the chuck or faceplate and finish off the bottom.  Works like a charm.

Makin' Shavin's&&xxxx Castelin&&Big Guy Productions
IP Logged

WKuhn
WR Noob

Reply #12 - Mar 18th, 2006 at 8:38am

Looks like jam/friction chuck to me.

IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Los Angeles, CA, California, USA
Los Angeles, CA
California
USA

Reply #13 - Mar 18th, 2006 at 9:15am

Yeah, I'm going to stick with the 5 jam chucks I have used for years, thought I could finally use them to make bowls and such...oh well, thankfully it was on sale.  Sometimes the free stuff is better than bought.

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

Curt Fuller
WR Addict

Reply #14 - Mar 18th, 2006 at 9:34pm

Quote:
I don't know if it is neoprene or not but, you used tto be able to get sheet of a rubber type material for making gaskets at the auto parts store.  I don't know about the chain stores like o'reily or auto zone but the old napa store carried it.  You know real auto parts stores not the one that the computers asks if it is a four or two doors to get brake shoes.  I will try to check in town today

Coincidentally, today I was at Home Depot buying some stuff for a bathroom remodel I'm doing for my Mom. On the rack with the toilet repair parts there was some sheets of 12"x12" red rubber gasket material, about 1/8" thick. So if anyone is looking for it, they have it a the HD.
« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2006 at 9:35pm by Curt Fuller »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print