Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Trend Airshield (Read 3,666 times)

ticklingmedusa

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Trend Airshield
Mar 27th, 2006 at 1:01pm

I ordered mine online Thursday and it got here today.
$239.00
Golden State sales tax  $17.33 (greedy buzzards)
UPS ground $9.50
total: $265.83  U.S.(ouch!)
envirosafetyproducts.com
I do all of my turning from a sitting position,
so I'm breathing very close to the toolrest.
I know it will be worth it.
I'm so used to the tight fit of my mask type I'm
having a hard time believing I can trust the fit.
I'm charging batteries overnight and plan on giving it a test wheeze tomorrow.
Cough, gag, spew...
tm
« Last Edit: Mar 27th, 2006 at 4:51pm by Rev. Doug Miller »  

IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

Formerly Nappen who said...Sleep
is for wimps

Re: Trend Airshield
Reply #1 - Mar 27th, 2006 at 1:44pm

You will find a lot of believers in the Trend here, myself included. I had the same concern about fit when I got mine, but thus far it seems to be working well.

I'm not addicted to coffee, it just keeps the headaches away.

IP Logged

tejaswood

WWW.TEJASWOOD.C OM

Reply #2 - Mar 27th, 2006 at 5:26pm

$265.83 is a lot cheaper than a new lung. I've had my trend for about a year now and It is still going strong. Hope you bought the extra clear shield protectors.

IP Logged

TomNeb

Post hoc, ergo propter
hoc....beware!

Reply #3 - Mar 27th, 2006 at 5:55pm

I turned with mine for the first time last weekend and it's really nice to have such a comfortable setup.  Now I guess we won't know how well it really sealed for about 10 or 20 years but it's got to be better than nothing.  Certainly the filter was dusty so something must be happening.

IP Logged

Rick in Lincoln
WR Addict

keep on turnin'

Reply #4 - Mar 27th, 2006 at 7:17pm

A while ago in another thread I made a promise to get a
Trend.  I ordered it that weekend, along with an extra battery and the accessory kit.  Because of some kind of backorder thing, it took almost 6 weeks for my equipment to arrive.  But it finally came last Saturday.  Wouldn't you know it, I had to leave town on Monday, so I haven't had a chance to work with it.  grrrrrrrrr.

rick - who's spending the week in beautiful Paducah, Ky.

A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #5 - Mar 27th, 2006 at 8:22pm

Rick, you're so close.  You ought to come on over and cruse down to Orlando with Phil and I to pick up some wood.  We leave Wednesday night and should be back Thursday night/Friday morning.  Should be a fun time!   8)

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #6 - Mar 27th, 2006 at 11:41pm

Yeah Rick, Lousiville isn't but maybe 4 -5 hours from Paducah we will really only be gone from Wednesday night to Friday Morning. We can make it a party.
« Last Edit: Mar 27th, 2006 at 11:42pm by Philip Peak »  

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Los Angeles, CA, California, USA
Los Angeles, CA
California
USA

Reply #7 - Mar 28th, 2006 at 12:00am

tm,

I've got the Trend as well, 2 years going and I still love it.  The trick of it is 2 fold.  The incoming air is filtered by the 2 sets of filters, and then the fan creates a positive pressure inside the shield which keeps dust from coming inside through the face seal.  In other words, it doesn't need a tight fit due to the air running out from around your face, dust is blown back and away from the seal, keeping it from coming in and you from breathing it.

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

ticklingmedusa

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - Mar 28th, 2006 at 1:41am

Thanks for the input. I was planning on sanding a Cocobolo vessel tonight and putting the Airshield to the test. Then the phone rang twice...
two lengthy long distance calls from old friends.
I love turning but sometimes life gets in the way.
So it goes.

IP Logged

Freddie Hicks
WR Addict

Lubbock, Texas, USA
Lubbock
Texas
USA

Reply #9 - Mar 28th, 2006 at 4:00am

Been thinking about one of these and want to know just what all do I need to order, as in extras.

Mi Vida Echa en Madera

IP Logged

tejaswood

WWW.TEJASWOOD.C OM

Reply #10 - Mar 28th, 2006 at 6:36am

Freddie,
The first two items I would order is an extra battery and extra shield covers. I still use the original filters, I just blow them out every so often.

IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #11 - Mar 28th, 2006 at 7:06am

Definitely a spare battery and face shield protectors (they go by another name but it eludes me att).

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

pa-paw

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #12 - Mar 28th, 2006 at 7:07am

Quote:
Freddie,
The first two items I would order is an extra battery and extra shield covers. I still use the original filters, I just blow them out every so often.

My first instinct was to blow the pre filter off with the air compressor too, but the hand book warns against using compressed air on the Trend. Do you take the filter off to blow it out? Undecided

IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #13 - Mar 28th, 2006 at 7:13am

I use my vaccuum cleaner and vacuum reverse of the air flow.

WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Los Angeles, CA, California, USA
Los Angeles, CA
California
USA

Reply #14 - Mar 28th, 2006 at 9:26am

I blow mine out too, taking the filters completely out and then blowing them off.  This only works for so long though.  I didn't realize how much gets trapped beyond the powers of the compressed air blow out until I bought new filters with some birthday money.  I'd recommend changing the filters on any of the units every 6 months or so.  The difference when I plugged in the new ones was unbelieveable (in air flow, clarity and smell of the filtered air, etc.)

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

tejaswood

WWW.TEJASWOOD.C OM

Reply #15 - Mar 28th, 2006 at 10:01am

What spinner said

IP Logged

Woodbutcher

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #16 - Mar 28th, 2006 at 4:20pm

I blow mine out too. Leave the filters in the bright sun for an hour or two, it seems to help. I was turning some very dry black walnut at around 2000 rpm using an Ellsworth gouge It was so thick in my shop it actually started to get noticably darker. I coldn't even smell dust. That thing really works. I like my Trend.
Jim     Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

How fortunate for national leaders thet men are so stupid!........... Adolph Hitler

IP Logged

texascop47
WR Addict

What happened to that
web page?

Reply #17 - Mar 28th, 2006 at 5:27pm

I also use mine when mowing the pasture.  It keeps the dust and pollen down and I can still breath for the next couple of weeks.  I might look funny on the tractor but it sure helps.  Make sure you get the clear plastic sheilds and an extra battery.

keep the bevel rubbing
eeg520  
IP Logged

Rick in Lincoln
WR Addict

keep on turnin'

Reply #18 - Mar 28th, 2006 at 8:01pm

Quote:
Rick, you're so close.  You ought to come on over and cruse down to Orlando with Phil and I to pick up some wood.  We leave Wednesday night and should be back Thursday night/Friday morning.  Should be a fun time!   8)

Quote:
Yeah Rick, Lousiville isn't but maybe 4 -5 hours from Paducah we will really only be gone from Wednesday night to Friday Morning. We can make it a party.

When both moderators speak, I really should listen  Shocked  Sorry to say though, I was in a meeting all day today, and it continues Wed. and Thurs.  Fly back to Lincoln Friday, 6:30 a.m.  I know I'm close and I don't get down here very often, but when I do, there's doesn't ever seem to be any free time.  Wish it were different  Sad  Have a good time though.

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #19 - Mar 28th, 2006 at 9:18pm

If you're looking for a great steak place to eat dinner, there is a steak house on Lone Oak road.  The last time I was over there, the place had just opened.  As you are heading south toward Lone Oak, it is on the right and I think it is painted purple.  Used to be something else and doesn't look like much, inside or out.  But I've got to say, they have one of the best steaks that I've put in my mouth.  The only one that was better was at a place in Clarksville, TN., just outside Fort Campbell.  Sorry I can't remember the names of either of these two places, but I promise I can drive right to them and order up the best ribeyes I've put in my mouth. 

Sorry about this being so OT.   8)

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
IP Logged

Freddie Hicks
WR Addict

Lubbock, Texas, USA
Lubbock
Texas
USA

Reply #20 - Mar 28th, 2006 at 9:44pm

Thanks for the info,an extra battery and shield overlays.

Mi Vida Echa en Madera

IP Logged

ticklingmedusa

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #21 - Mar 29th, 2006 at 2:12am

Quote:
Thanks for the info,an extra battery and shield overlays.

Me too! Tonight I sanded a 9 inch Cocobolo semi closed vessel wearing the Trend.
Even with my old cartridge mask on tight, I would sneeze until I dislodged whatever microparticle I was unlucky enough to inhale. I would sneeze until I thought I'd lose gray matter. Anyway, this evening I
worked through the grits without incident.
The battery pack outlasted me...
must have run about 6 hours on an overnight charge.
I can see the need for a spare & the overlays,
so thats on my next order.
Thanks again for all the input.
tm

« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2006 at 1:07pm by ticklingmedusa »  

IP Logged

ticklingmedusa

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Trend Airshield making your own battery pack
Reply #22 - Mar 30th, 2006 at 12:18pm

Respirator battery

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Somewhere on this site are the instructions for making your own battery pack for a Trend. Parts cost about A$20 and the pack lasts 3 times as long as the original pack.

Regards
Don
  Respirator Battery instructions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure how to make a link so here is the text submitted by BrianR (I searched for Battery Blues - go to post 18)

I shared your battery blues as the Trend and the Purlite are the same thing with different badges as far as I can tell, and I have a Purelite. Around $97 for a spare 4 hour battery is robbery. I now make my own 10 hour batteries for about $16 and 1 hrs work. (It's takes an hour cause I'm lazy).

Here's the parts list, all available from JAYCAR Electronics who have offices all over.
1800-022-888.

3 x AA rechargeable Nickel Metal Hydride cells with solder tabs. These have a capacity of 1650 mAH which is more than 3x the capacity of the 450 mAH cells supplied with the helmets. JAYCAR Stock No SB1702 @ $4.75 each.

1 x 2.5mm Power plug, JAYCAR Stock No PP-0510 @ $1.55.

Here are the connection details, written for non electrical woodworkers. Please excuse me if you have been electrified.

Wire the 3 cells in series, ie. cell #1 "+" terminal connects to cell #2 "-" terminal.
Cell #2 "+" connects to cell #3 "-" and so on.

Discard the plastic cover from the plug.
Connect the tag from the centre pin of the power plug to the free "+" terminal of the batteries.

Connect the terminal joined to the outer shell of the plug to the free "-" terminal.

I was able to tape the lot up so it looked just like the original pack and plugged into the helmet the same as the original.

You can use the charger supplied with the helmet but it will take 2 days to fully charge this larger capacity battery.

Otherwise make one to work off a car battery charger. This simple charger uses the principal that an incandescant globe draw a more or less constant current even with changing voltage so if you connect a 6 Watt 12V globe (car parking light globe) in the line from the RED "+" lead of the charger to the "+" lead of the battery pack, and connect the BLACK charger lead to the "-" on the battery you have a 5-7 hour charger for your new 10 hour battery.

The light will glow fairly brightly as the charge takes place.

IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Mar 30th, 2006 at 2:17pm

Jaycar is only in Australia and New Zealand.

IP Logged

ticklingmedusa

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #24 - Mar 31st, 2006 at 1:50am

Youre right Gil.
The main reason I posted that was to let people know
that making your own was something that could be done if you were inclined. I wonder if sources for that type of project can be found here in the States?
tm
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2006 at 1:57am by ticklingmedusa »  

IP Logged

Kevin Denny

Reply #25 - Apr 1st, 2006 at 6:15pm

So one please enlighten me.  In regards to air quality, what is the advantage of the Trend or Trident systems over a half-face respirator if both are using filters with the same NIOSH rating?  I have a 3m 6000 series respirator, am I missing thing here?

I am new to wood turning and this forum.  I am glad that I discovered both!

Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem.
Ronald Reagan
beaverfsu@yahoo.com  
IP Logged

Rick in Lincoln
WR Addict

keep on turnin'

Reply #26 - Apr 1st, 2006 at 8:18pm

Both offer face protection, and I believe the Triton also offers ear muffs.  The Trend I have will work with glasses, and is a full face enclosure.

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #27 - Apr 1st, 2006 at 8:32pm

A simple respirator will protect your lungs, but the Trend or Triton will protect your eyes from dust, flying particles, and even help protect your face from chunks of wood that your lathe decides that it doesn't like and chucks at you.  DAMHIK!
Grin

JimQ

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Kevin Denny

Reply #28 - Apr 1st, 2006 at 8:37pm

I have a full face plate and hard hat that is used with the respirator, so I have full protection.  I am curious if the powered units offer increased air quality over the more traditional respirators, such my 3M.  I can also use different filters with the 3M when working with different types of chemicals, etc.  Is this so with the Trend or Trident?

I am wary of the weight of the Trend all on my head and similary prefer not to have hoses running down my back with the Triton.

Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem.
Ronald Reagan
beaverfsu@yahoo.com  
IP Logged

Kevin Denny

Reply #29 - Apr 1st, 2006 at 8:43pm

Quote:
..even help protect your face from chunks of wood that your lathe decides that it doesn't like and chucks at you.  DAMHIK!
Grin

JimQ

That is my other question/concern, my current face shield comes from the "industrial" world, I suspect it may offer better protection than the Trend or Trident, but haven't checked the tech specs just yet.  Unfortantley, I already know by experience that my current shield can take a hit.. @?**!!&$

Ronald Reagan
beaverfsu@yahoo.com  
IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #30 - Apr 1st, 2006 at 10:12pm

Beaver
     If your happy with your set up I see no reason to change it, I think most of us here that use the Trend probably graduated from simple Home Depot paper dusk masks or something similar.  The Trend was a major step up for us.
    But, to address some of your concerns, I do not find the Trend to be too heavy on my head and what little noise generated by the fan does not detract from hearing what is around me.  One problem I always had with a faceshield and dust mask was the fogging up of the shield while breathing.  The airflow of the Trend eliminates that problem and at the same time, I don't have the dripping sweat in my face problem  I had with the face shield and dust mask setup, my face stays cooler and more comfortable thereby allowing me to turn longer and that is a big plus..  
    Everything is personal preference I guess.  What matters most is that everyone does need breathing and face/eye protection.  
« Last Edit: Apr 1st, 2006 at 10:15pm by Philip Peak »  

WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Kevin Denny

Reply #31 - Apr 1st, 2006 at 10:26pm

Phlip-
Thank you very much for your response, it hit the nail on the head.  I suspected that the Trend was a step up for most turners, but as particulate matter was not my primary concern in the past, I was looking for experienced insight which you provided.

The very thought of worring about yet another set of batteries put me in a tail spin....

Thank you again. 

Ronald Reagan
beaverfsu@yahoo.com  
IP Logged

ticklingmedusa

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #32 - Apr 2nd, 2006 at 1:39am

One of my first jobs was in the mining and smelting industry. We had to wear masks to keep silica and ore dust out of our lungs. I hated using them.
Somewhere along the way I rediscovered the joys
of spinning wood. I soon found out how dusty it is too.
I was having a lot of trouble with the mask and faceshield arrangement too...
Sometimes I'll work for 6 to 8 hours.
After a while sweat & condensation  would cause the mask to slip
down. I dont know if the seal was ever comprimised but
it was a HUGE distraction. I am at my safest and do my best when I am staying focused on the work and not having to pause to towel off my mug.
( at this point, annoyed I would usually rip the mask off and leave it off, using a few choice expletives.)
Having only used the Trend for just 3 evening turning sessions, I don't find the weight to be much different
than that of my old faceshield & dual cartridge respirator.
It is an expensive item and the batteries are a bit of a pain. Nobodys needs are the same.
I just want more quality time in the shed.
In the long run I dont think I'll have any regrets.
« Last Edit: Apr 2nd, 2006 at 2:10am by ticklingmedusa »  

IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #33 - Apr 2nd, 2006 at 10:36am

I use a Trend for turning, sawing, sanding, and tool sharpening; these are "dust" generating activities, and that is ALL the Trend is designed/rated for.... DUST.... I like my Trend AirShield, and use it within its design limitations. I cannot speak for the Triton system.
The Trend filters will NOT protect you from ANY organic vapors (Finish spray or solvent evaporation), nor will it protect you from the fumes generated by cyanoacrylate glue (CA). The Trend face shield is not NIOSH approved for impact, nor as a rated respirator.
I use a dual cartridge respirator, with "organic vapor" rated cartridges when any finish spray/evaporation is in the air. As for CA glue, if I breathe several minutes worth of the fumes, I can count on something like bronchitis for at least a week or two. So, I put on the organic vapor respirator, quickly apply the CA, and depart until the fumes dissipate. I now only use CA when I need the speed that it offers; otherwise I use 5:1 epoxy (West System), and wait for it to cure.

IP Logged

TomNeb

Post hoc, ergo propter
hoc....beware!

Reply #34 - Apr 2nd, 2006 at 3:27pm

Not to put too find a point on this but....

how many of you are stressing out over the correct dust mask but still are smokers?

Just a thought....

IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Apr 2nd, 2006 at 3:37pm

I quit cold on Jan 1st 2005, and never looked back.
The Trend came several months later.
« Last Edit: Apr 2nd, 2006 at 3:41pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

MIKE Durham
WR Addict

having too much fun turning

North Chesterfield, Virginia, Virginia, USA
North Chesterfield, Virginia
Virginia
USA

Reply #36 - Apr 2nd, 2006 at 6:49pm

I quit 10 Years ago. I worked with a man, that would on break, drink diet cole eat  a candy bar and smoke 3 cigarettes in 15 min. and worry about his health. ??? Undecided

P.S. by the way, good for you Gil!   My Trend is on the way.
« Last Edit: Apr 2nd, 2006 at 6:54pm by MIKE Durham »  

ex-Bull Durham&&&&give me wood or give me stained glass!&&Mike Durham

IP Logged

TomNeb

Post hoc, ergo propter
hoc....beware!

Reply #37 - Apr 2nd, 2006 at 7:27pm

Way to go, Gil and Bull!  Keep it up!

IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #38 - Apr 2nd, 2006 at 7:35pm

I try not to think about the fact that the last 6 years that I smoked wasted enough $ to buy a One Way 2436.

IP Logged

TomNeb

Post hoc, ergo propter
hoc....beware!

Reply #39 - Apr 2nd, 2006 at 7:55pm

Quote:
I try not to think about the fact that the last 6 years that I smoked wasted enough $ to buy a One Way 2436.

Maybe if more thought about it this way, more would quit! Grin

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #40 - Apr 2nd, 2006 at 8:08pm

Considering the cost of cigaretts and gas at the time, I was saving enough to pay for the motorcycle that I bought when I quit.  I thought it was pretty cool at the time.   Many moons ago.  8)

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

Formerly Nappen who said...Sleep
is for wimps

Reply #41 - Apr 8th, 2006 at 4:32am

Smoking bad...turning good...

Cost of pack of cigarettes $3
Cost of episode of bronchitis $200
Cost of Oxygen tank and compressor $1000
Cost of Lung cancer screening $5000
Cost of another 10 years turning: Priceless

I'm not addicted to coffee, it just keeps the headaches away.

IP Logged

Woodbutcher

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #42 - Apr 9th, 2006 at 3:47pm

I never smoked a legal cigarett in my life. If you don't use an air filter.......you are one.
Jim

How fortunate for national leaders thet men are so stupid!........... Adolph Hitler

IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #43 - Apr 10th, 2006 at 5:57am

Woodbutcher I hope that was a mistype and you meant illegal.  actually I hope you meant both. 
     Today (April 10th) is my anninversary of the day I smoked my last cigarette.  hard to believe it has been 7 years.

WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

MIKE Durham
WR Addict

Virginia
USA

Reply #44 - Apr 10th, 2006 at 6:44am

Ordered my Trend a week ago.  Oh where oh where are you!! I think it must be lost! Finished my floor lamp last night, all but the finish on it. Would have been nice to have it! Smiley
Congratulations PhilipE, it was agood day to Quit!  Grin Grin

IP Logged

MIKE Durham
WR Addict

Virginia
USA

Reply #45 - Apr 19th, 2006 at 6:53am

Well my new TRend came Monday by snail mail. I order it on April 2, 15 days and two calls. It was worth the money and wait. Use it Tuesday all day, what a difference. Grin Grin

IP Logged

jawbrey68

round and round

Reply #46 - Apr 22nd, 2006 at 3:51am

been almost 3 years w/out a legal cigaret
bought a new bike much better deal pedaled off about 1/2 the weight i gained quiuting

doing it safe might take a minute longer but it can take a lot longer to heal from not doing it safely

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print