Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Satellite City CA glue (Read 2,135 times)

junior
Ex Member

Satellite City CA glue
Apr 9th, 2006 at 1:02am

Anyone else have problems with the spout drying shut 3/4 the way down so you can no longer use the glue with any kind of precision.

I swear, I am about to throw two bottles that are both 99% full in the trash.

A bottle with disposable tips would be so much better. you could leave the odl tip on the bottle until you were ready to use it again, then just put on a new tip, and throw away the old one!

Epoxy here i come!!!

IP Logged

Ned A from South GA
WR Addict

Formerly Nappen who said...Sleep
is for wimps

Re: Satellite City CA glue
Reply #1 - Apr 9th, 2006 at 2:54am

I think all CA has this problem. Make sure the cap is on tight...helps. Most brands have tips you can replace. The other option is to take off the cap, pour a little on a peice of waste wood or paper and use what you need off that...roll the brass tubes in it, or whatever.

I'm not addicted to coffee, it just keeps the headaches away.

IP Logged

Freddie Hicks
WR Addict

Lubbock, Texas, USA
Lubbock
Texas
USA

Reply #2 - Apr 9th, 2006 at 5:29am

Take your bottle and tap the base of it on your work bench after you use it and get the glue out of the spout. You can disolve ca glue with acetone so soak your spouts in some. You can heat a needle and stick down the spout but DON"T BREATH THE SMOKE. I use a small dremel drill bit and just drill it out. I know alot of people don't use ths caps for the bottles once they open them. I know from experience you can store an UNOPENED bottle of ca glue for at least nine years in the freezer and it still be good when opened. Hope this helps you.

Mi Vida Echa en Madera

IP Logged

MIKE Durham
WR Addict

having too much fun turning

North Chesterfield, Virginia, Virginia, USA
North Chesterfield, Virginia
Virginia
USA

Reply #3 - Apr 9th, 2006 at 6:44am

Fredde  said,
I know from experience you can store an UNOPENED bottle of ca glue for at least nine years in the freezer and it still be good when opened. Hope this helps you
    Freddie, I could not keep it that long to find out.
  SWMBO would throw it out. 

ex-Bull Durham&&&&give me wood or give me stained glass!&&Mike Durham

IP Logged

Freddie Hicks
WR Addict

Lubbock, Texas, USA
Lubbock
Texas
USA

Reply #4 - Apr 9th, 2006 at 7:02am

I had about 20 bottles I got from military surplus, I've got two left. I used to make alot of pens but I haven't made any in a few years. I use to take the perfume pen kits and modify them and make tooth pick holders, man I sold alot of them. If you give swmbo a little of the profit they are a little more recptive. Hey she even bought me a few kits one time. I had a place here in town that would lased ingrave the pens and I made custom boxes and had people's names lasered onto the top, if you do it upside down then while setting on a desk with the lid open it is a name plate. It looked pretty cool. I had some router jigs I made for the boxes.

Mi Vida Echa en Madera

IP Logged

Woodchip

Reply #5 - Apr 9th, 2006 at 4:56pm

Junior,
Follow this link:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It has good info on why super glue tips clog and tips on how to prevent it.

-Tom

Tom&&&&

IP Logged

junior
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Apr 9th, 2006 at 7:49pm

Thats pretty much the same thing i got from the manufacturer's website.

I understand the concept of glue, and even instant glue.

I build alot of model cars, and the glue for these cars is activated simply by air. The makers of the glue dealt with the same problem with awesome results. cheap, removable tips that dry up and act as a lid until you need the glue again. then you simply pop the old clogged tip off, and apply a new clean tip and go to work.

It seems the CA glue manufacturers would rather just tell us why the problem happens as opposed to actually doing something about it. Luckily for me, I have learned early in my turning life how lousy their probuct actually is. I have switched to epoxy, and have no plans on going back to CA glue!

IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Los Angeles, CA, California, USA
Los Angeles, CA
California
USA

Reply #7 - Apr 9th, 2006 at 10:46pm

Really easy way to avoid clogged tips guys, store your CA glue bottles upside down.  It really does work.

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

Kevin Denny

Reply #8 - Apr 10th, 2006 at 4:57pm

Spinner
That would be too easy!

Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem.
Ronald Reagan
beaverfsu@yahoo.com  
IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #9 - Apr 11th, 2006 at 8:29pm

I already store my Gorilla glue upside down.  Hadn't thought about storing my CA the same way.  Guess I'll have to come up with a storage rack for it.  Thanks a lot, Chris  Angry Wink.   8)

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #10 - Apr 11th, 2006 at 8:35pm

I am sure it helps to store upside down, just make sure you have the cap on good and tight.  Believe it or not I have a bottle of 2 OZ CAthat the little cap is missing off of and has ben for almost 4 weeks and the glue is still good.  It is thin glue, I am wondering if the stuff you are having problems with is thin or thick stuff?

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Jeff Matter

I got a new lathe for
my wife!! Good trade
eh?

Reply #11 - Apr 12th, 2006 at 1:53am

Ive got a bottle of thick ca that has sat without the lid  for 4 months and it is still "good". I have noticed , even though it is still "liquid", it doesnt dry or setup very fast without the help of accelerant.
 For the thin CA glue, I bought a dozen tips from woodcraft. If they clog I just cut off an 1/8 of the tip, and its good to go. Ive only gone thru 4 tips with 2 bottles so far.
« Last Edit: Apr 12th, 2006 at 1:54am by Jeff Matter »  

IP Logged

Gil Jones
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Apr 12th, 2006 at 5:49am

One of our club members never caps his CA, and he says that he has no problems with it. I have been to his shop, and there were four 2oz bottles of it on a shelf, without caps. Maybe the spout openings are too narrow to cause a problem??
I do cap mine, but first I let it set for a few minutes to let the spout drain down into the bottle (so no blockages). Soaking in Acetone will fix plugged spouts if needed.

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #13 - Apr 12th, 2006 at 3:33pm

When I start to use mine, before I tilt the bottle, I squeeze it a little, then tilt and apply the glue.  When I stand it back up, the air pulled back in clears most of the glue out of the spout, and a sharp rap of the bottom on the work bench brings the rest down. 

Keeping the cap on isn't so much to keep it from drying out, but to keep moisture and dust out.  contamination will shorten its life more than drying out.

JimQ

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

junior
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Apr 12th, 2006 at 11:52pm

As usual, when i post here, I learn a ton about whatever it is I am posting about!!! you guys are some of the most knowledgeable (sp?) people I have ever known. Thanks guys!! maybe i won't give up on CA glue just yet!!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print