Jet 1240 (Read 1,783 times)

Brian Myers

Leola, Pennsylvania, USA
Leola
Pennsylvania
USA

Jet 1240
Apr 20th, 2006 at 6:12pm

Anyone have any info on this lathe? Good/bad points? Anything to watch out for in buying one used? I ask because there is one available locally for $175 OBO . I have a Harbor Freight  34706, this any better?

Brian

I know voices aren't real but man do they come up with some great ideas !
Wood turner, wood worker ,wood artist, don't they all mean the same thing as wood hoarder ?

IP Logged

brad

Re: Jet 1240
Reply #1 - Apr 20th, 2006 at 6:18pm

I am assuming you mean a 1236 and there would be no benefit in buying it when you already have one the same size unless you simply wanted a second lathe.

If you are wanting a beefier lathe for the least amount of money I would suggest spending the money and getting a dc motor and controller.  I will post pics of mine in the near future.
« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2006 at 6:23pm by brad »  

IP Logged

Larry Charlot
WR Addict

Professional Sawdust Maker

Yakima, Washington, Washington, USA
Yakima, Washington
Washington
USA

Reply #2 - Apr 20th, 2006 at 7:48pm

Brad I look forward to the pics, this is something I plan on doing in the near future

Larry

Want a better life, TURN it into something better

IP Logged

tejaswood

WWW.TEJASWOOD.C OM

Reply #3 - Apr 21st, 2006 at 3:57am

If it is a Jet 1236 and it is in good contition then I would spend the money just to have a backup lathe. Personally I would buy it and then sell the HF lathe.

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #4 - Apr 21st, 2006 at 4:47am

Quote:
Personally I would buy it and then sell the HF lathe.

Ditto!

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

MIKE Durham
WR Addict

having too much fun turning

North Chesterfield, Virginia, Virginia, USA
North Chesterfield, Virginia
Virginia
USA

Reply #5 - Apr 21st, 2006 at 6:46am

on Today at 7:57am, tejaswood wrote:  Personally I would buy it and then sell the HF lathe.  

That is a good idea! Grin
« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2006 at 6:48am by MIKE Durham »  

ex-Bull Durham&&&&give me wood or give me stained glass!&&Mike Durham

IP Logged

brad

Reply #6 - Apr 21st, 2006 at 7:01am

Quote:
on Today at 7:57am, tejaswood wrote:  Personally I would buy it and then sell the HF lathe.  

That is a good idea! Grin

only if you can't better spend that $175 elsewhere on say a chuck, grinder, jigs tools etc since you won't get anything for the HF lathe no matter what shape it is in...

IP Logged

Jim Underwood
WR Addict

It's better to turn than
burn...

Reply #7 - Apr 21st, 2006 at 11:01am

And you won't be doing anyone any favors by selling it to them.

If you have a Re-Tool store in the area you could take it to them and unload it quick.

I heard the best way to get any money for a HF lathe is to dissassemble it and sell it as parts on eBay. Tailstock, headstock, bed, rest, motor, stand etc. I have one with a busted pulley that I should be selling....

But hey, that HF lathe is the way a lot of us got started! And we appreciate the good lathes that much more! I'd buy the Jet if twas me. That's why I wound up with a Jet mini. I sold the other HF lathe and bought the Jet.
« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2006 at 11:05am by Jim Underwood »  

Jim Underwood&&Fides quaerens intellectum&&

IP Logged

Jeff Matter

I got a new lathe for
my wife!! Good trade
eh?

Reply #8 - Apr 21st, 2006 at 3:25pm

I had 2 HF lathes and the first one worked great.The second one was a quick replacement for a broken tool rest, and was a POS. HF has "decent" tools and then they have the real lemons,....which you dont find out till you get home with it.
    Nothing wrong with that lathe for people starting out..."testing the water" as long as it's one of the "good" ones
  Given the choice tho....Ide pick the jet

IP Logged

Kevin Denny

Reply #9 - Apr 21st, 2006 at 4:39pm

I bought my Jet 1236 "used", more like a floor model/demo and couldn't be happier as this is my first lathe.  For $175, I would it hard to walk again if it is in reasonable condition.

Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem.
Ronald Reagan
beaverfsu@yahoo.com  
IP Logged

Woodbutcher

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #10 - Apr 21st, 2006 at 5:13pm

Buy the Jet. I'll not knock anothers lathe but no matter what the Jet IS a strp up and worth repairing if something does break. Jet has great service and stand by their equipment.
Jim

How fortunate for national leaders thet men are so stupid!........... Adolph Hitler

IP Logged

brad

Reply #11 - Apr 21st, 2006 at 8:19pm

Quote:
Buy the Jet. I'll not knock anothers lathe but no matter what the Jet IS a strp up and worth repairing if something does break. Jet has great service and stand by their equipment.
Jim

Actually jet's great serivce doesn't transfer with ownership.  If you read the small print or try and get the same service which might have been "we'll send you that replacement for that broken knob or new bearings" that might be free to the original registered owner of an older machine you may find yourself horrified at the cost of that great service.

IP Logged

Freddie Hicks
WR Addict

Lubbock, Texas, USA
Lubbock
Texas
USA

Reply #12 - Apr 22nd, 2006 at 2:13am

That might be so, but you can get parts for a jet and there is no comparison between a jet and  hf when you talk about bearing and spendel strength. Buy the jet,$175 is a deal. I just seem to hear about deals like that. Chucks are very nice but by no means absolutly necessary. You may have a friend you can share the hf lathe with (or a child), Makes for some great times.

Mi Vida Echa en Madera

IP Logged

brad

Reply #13 - Apr 22nd, 2006 at 5:31am

Quote:
That might be so, but you can get parts for a jet and there is no comparison between a jet and  hf when you talk about bearing and spendel strength.
  You can get parts for the HF too, it is as simple as calling them up ad when under warranty they send them to you for free or if you go to the store replace the whole thing no questions asked.
If you plan on abusing your lathe no matter what it is sure go for the 1236 it will last a bit longer but it will eventually suffer the same failures the HF does under abusive conditions like turning full limit out of balance pieces (especially when out boarding )and be a whole lot more expensive to repair.  If you aren't over taxing the HF lathe I still think you can better spend $175 on things that will help you become a better or safer turner.

IP Logged

Woodbutcher

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #14 - Apr 22nd, 2006 at 9:23pm

I did not mention warranty. That doesn't come with a $150.00 lathe. Parts do come however if you can order and pay for them. Never having dealt with whoever makes the Harbor Freight products (lathes) I don't know the PIA factor. They might be great people, I don't know. I had a problem w my Power Matic and the were right on top of things. Several of my aquaintenances own Jets and have gotten great service. One had purchased a Jet mini used and needed repair parts. He told the Jet guy it was second hand used and they sent him the parts n/c and paid the postage. Anyway for $150.00 I'm buying a Jet.
Jim

How fortunate for national leaders thet men are so stupid!........... Adolph Hitler

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print