Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
what (Read 2,172 times)

jawbrey68

round and round

what
May 9th, 2006 at 7:50pm

new [to me any way ] grizzly bandsaw followed me home today got a good deal 175 bucks came w/ riser block 6 inch so i now have almost everything i need to get serious   jet1236 /  sears 8 inch grinder  w/ sharpening jig /  one way talon chuck several gouges /parting tools / skews and a band saw sanding stuff finishes  and many small acc.  took classes i am in close to 2200 dollars but i think that i am set up pretty well still need a trend air sheildbut most of the big expenses are covered

doing it safe might take a minute longer but it can take a lot longer to heal from not doing it safely

IP Logged

junior
Ex Member

Re: what
Reply #1 - May 9th, 2006 at 7:58pm

drill press???!!!

Harbor Freight has a little $40 table top model that is MAD HANDY!!!

IP Logged

Larry Charlot
WR Addict

Professional Sawdust Maker

Yakima, Washington, Washington, USA
Yakima, Washington
Washington
USA

Reply #2 - May 9th, 2006 at 8:14pm

You know you have Everthing you Need, not want, when you loose count on how much you have spent.

and don't worry if you need to know how much you spent lately your wife will remind you.  And remind you Undecided

Want a better life, TURN it into something better

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Gloat
Reply #3 - May 9th, 2006 at 8:33pm

I broke down and bought a new Drill Press Sunday.  The little bench top one I had just wasn't cutting it for drilling pen blanks.  Screwed up a couple of blanks.  It only had a 1.6" stroke.  Otherwise fine. 

New one is a Craftsman 15" with a 4" stroke.  I was looking at the Delta 16.5" with a 3.5" stroke for $390.  Sunday evening was Sears Employee Friends and Family Night, extra 10% off everything in the store.  It was on sale for $300, less 10% for F&F, less 10% for employee.  Cost $243 + tax. Grin Grin Grin

Anybody want to buy a Craftsman 8.5" bench top DP with oscilatting spindle sander?  I even have the owner's manual.

JimQ

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Ken Grunke

I finally got around to
it!

SW Wisconsin, Wisconsin, USA
SW Wisconsin
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #4 - May 10th, 2006 at 6:23am

Chainsaw!
You don't need a gas one unless you're cutting & burning firewood, an electric saw is quite handy.
And even with an airshield, you're still kicking around dust after you take the thing off so a collector would be worth serious thought.

Home Page: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register and webmaster, Coulee Region Woodturners of SW Wisconsin - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Ken Grunke  
IP Logged

Larry Charlot
WR Addict

Professional Sawdust Maker

Yakima, Washington, Washington, USA
Yakima, Washington
Washington
USA

Reply #5 - May 10th, 2006 at 6:29am

then there is the slow upgrading everything one piece at a time as you figure out what you were working with but could work with easier, like JimQ above with the new drill press.  he had one but could do more and easier with his new one.

Larry

Want a better life, TURN it into something better

IP Logged

brad

Reply #6 - May 10th, 2006 at 7:47am

Quote:
Chainsaw!
You don't need a gas one unless you're cutting & burning firewood...

or hate stringing that extension cord a few miles down the road.  Electric are all well and good around the house but if you only have 1 saw you should get a gas one because it is a go anywhere don't get tangled up in the cord make quick work of anything.  I only use my electric one when everyone in the neighborhood is sleep or am inside the shop and already have the piece mounted on the lathe.

you can't go wrong with a stihl ms 170 for $150

IP Logged

brad

Re: Gloat
Reply #7 - May 10th, 2006 at 7:48am

Quote:
Anybody want to buy a Craftsman 8.5" bench top DP with oscilatting spindle sander?  I even have the owner's manual.

JimQ

Jim

you ought to take  look at the sharpening system David Reed Smith made from a small drill press on his website.

IP Logged

MIKE Durham
WR Addict

having too much fun turning

North Chesterfield, Virginia, Virginia, USA
North Chesterfield, Virginia
Virginia
USA

Reply #8 - May 10th, 2006 at 10:03am

Drill press is the only tool I do not have in my shop, been useing Dewalt hand drills for years! May be I should look in to one? Them again may be not, right now!  Angry

ex-Bull Durham&&&&give me wood or give me stained glass!&&Mike Durham

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #9 - May 10th, 2006 at 10:04am

Quote:
i am in close to 2200 dollars but i think that i am set up pretty well still need a trend air sheildbut most of the big expenses are covered

Nope... can never happen... there will always be a new, more expensive tool that you will need for turning.

BTW - one chuck just ain't enough - I have three. Wait till you want to core bowls....

I just laid down a few hundred buck for some kelton hollowers.  I'll need a few hundred more for a stablilzing handle and a captive tool support and a laser attachment.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

MIKE Durham
WR Addict

having too much fun turning

North Chesterfield, Virginia, Virginia, USA
North Chesterfield, Virginia
Virginia
USA

Reply #10 - May 10th, 2006 at 10:08am

Want  !

Want   !!

Want   !!!

WANT  !!!!

WANT WANT !!!!!   Grin Grin Roll Eyes

ex-Bull Durham&&&&give me wood or give me stained glass!&&Mike Durham

IP Logged

flyboy

Newbie turner

Reply #11 - May 10th, 2006 at 12:11pm

I did the same thing a few months ago.  I gave away my bench top unit and bought the 16 1/2" Delta.  I couldn't drill all the way through the pen blanks in one shot with the old one.  I ended up putting an auxiliary table and fence system on the new Delta and enjoy it a lot.

IP Logged

jawbrey68

round and round

Reply #12 - May 10th, 2006 at 7:47pm

other than turning pens which doesnt particular interest
me what would i need a drill press for??

doing it safe might take a minute longer but it can take a lot longer to heal from not doing it safely

IP Logged

Jim Underwood
WR Addict

It's better to turn than
burn...

Reply #13 - May 10th, 2006 at 8:07pm

I use mine as much as I use the bandsaw.

I use it to drill pilot holes for my screw chuck. I've used it to drill into the bark side for my live center. I used it to drill several things in jigs when making the flywheel for a treadle lathe. I also use it for all kinds of metal working for making tools and fixing stuff.

I find a drill press and a bandsaw almost indispensable. But quite a few folks never use a drill press at all. The one over at the cabinet shop almost never gets used. I've probably used it more than anyone.

Jim Underwood&&Fides quaerens intellectum&&

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #14 - May 10th, 2006 at 9:58pm

Brad, I don't think you understand that most people would rather buy tools, even name brand tools, and spend the time using them, than take the time, first, figuring out how to make them, and then doing the actual construction.  That may be your bag, but it doesn't need to be pushed so agressively.

JimQ

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print