Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
B - how to sharpen the ellsworth grind (Read 1,476 times)

Bob Hampton

stress releif "let the
chips fly"

B - how to sharpen the ellsworth grind
Sep 19th, 2007 at 6:02am

A little trick I learned for setting the varigrind Setting up the varigrind jig for the ellsworth grind for a bowl gouge

For those that are trying to learn how to grind the bowl gouge with the swept back wings ....
this is a trick I learned from and old turner friend...

1..using the varigrind jig ..set the tool in the holder with appox. 2" of the tool protruding out the front
of the tool.
2..Take a black ink marker and color all the bevel tip area.
3..Now with the grinder off set the tip of the tool against the wheel....by hand rotate the wheel 1 revolution
4.. Remove the tool from the wheel and look at the tip...you should see a scratch mark from the wheel going
from top to bottom...if the mark is only on the top then move the v arm in a little bit  if only on the bottom then push the bar in
a little...(only move the slide about 1/32 at a time)
and try again...repeat this until you get a solid scratch mark from top to bottom...then  the jig is set correctly.
5..After you get the tip set correctly ...lay the jig and tool over either left or right as far as it will allow and do the same procedure..
If your not getting a solid scratch mark on the wing side then you need to rotate the tool in the holder...loosen the holding knob and
rotate the tool just a little whatever way that u need to go (again if its hitting only the top rotate the tool in the holder to the right just
slightly)
6..there is no need to set the opposite side as it will automatically follow.
7..Now start the grinder and with a light touch starting at the center rotate the tool to the left and back to center and then
to the right and back to center..try to do this in as smooth a motion as possible.
   You can also start from the side it that is easier for you ...and make one smooth motion from left to right or right to left
what ever is easier for you.

Once this is all set up ..mark the v-arm slide bar for reference and it will be easy to set up again ...once set you do not have
to repeat the black mark ...only if you feel the grind is off somewhat.

I hope this helps ...this grind has many uses for bowl turning.
good luck
Bob
« Last Edit: Sep 22nd, 2007 at 1:47pm by Chris Wright »  

Bob
Bob Hampton  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Chuck Beland
WR Champion
Head WR Twit

I got my eyes on you.

Re: B: how to sharpen the ellsworth grind
Reply #1 - Sep 19th, 2007 at 4:36pm

Bob,
A addendum to this is a friend has a home made wolverine set up & uses a home made "Ellsworth vari grind" after he has all the settings done he takes measurements from the v pocket to the wheel & uses a piece of 1/4" ply & makes a template that when he has to sharpen his gouge he grabs the right template & puts it in the v pocket & just touches the wheel & he gets a perfect bevel also it don't matter when the wheel gets smaller the measurements stay the same.

Chuck

P.S. If you need pics I can ask him to send me some so I can post them.

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Bob Hampton

stress releif "let the
chips fly"

Re: B: how to sharpen the ellsworth grind
Reply #2 - Sep 19th, 2007 at 4:48pm

hey chuck
  good idea!  I dont need them but would be a good idea for others.
Bob

Bob
Bob Hampton  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print