Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
B - Anim8or Quick-start: A 3D Form (Read 7,342 times)

Ken Grunke

I finally got around to
it!

SW Wisconsin, Wisconsin, USA
SW Wisconsin
Wisconsin
USA

B - Anim8or Quick-start: A 3D Form
Sep 21st, 2007 at 6:51pm

Charlie (Yorksub) asked for help on creating a lathed object with Anim8or and I thought others might need something, so here goes.

there is a manual to download as a PDF file on the Anim8or site, but here's a jump start with some simple instructions for creating a simple lathed form.

Open Anim8or.

Under the "View" menu, choose Front.

Select the "Curved Path" icon in the toolbar, in the right column, a bit more than halfway down. When you mouse over the icons, their labels appear at the bottom of the window. I've highlighted the button in red below.

The vertical line in the window will be the center axis, so start a curved line from that. Click and hold the mouse while dragging the first line segment. Release the mouse at the end of the first segment, and start a new one on the red dot at the end of the line.

Draw a simple curve of 10 or so segments, in whatever shape you want.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Then,while making sure the curve is selected, go to the "Build" menu and choose "Lathe...".

In the dialog window that appears, for "Lathe Parameters", under the "Axis" column on the left, choose "Y". That's the vertical axis in the drawing window. Then pick "Closed" for Start and End, and click OK.

You should see a lathed form around the center line, to the profile of your curve.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

If you need to edit a curve, delete the lathed form to go back to the curved line. Select the "Curved Path" icon, and click on the curved line to select it for editing. Click on any point to move it around.

You can change the curve's direction by moving the green handles on either side of a point. Editing of points and direction of curves even a tiny amount is usually necessary to even out a curve, and smooth out bumps. When you get the curve the way you like, just rebuild the lathed form. 

To add color to a form, create a Material by selecting the "Materials" button at the top, 7th from the left. Open the Material Editor by double-clicking on "New". Adjust the color values to your liking, and give the material a name.  Click OK then double-click on the form to open the Mesh Editor and select the material you just created.

Use the Arc Rotate tool at the top, to the right of the Materials tool, to tilt the form down a little and give some perspective to the view.

To export a jpg for web viewing, under the "Render" menu, choose "Render Image". Input your desired dimensions in the Frame Spec Editor, and adjust the background color if you want something besides the default gray. Then click the "Save" button, choose JPG, and browse to the desired location to save  the file to, with whatever file name you want.
« Last Edit: Sep 22nd, 2007 at 1:47pm by Chris Wright »  

Home Page: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register and webmaster, Coulee Region Woodturners of SW Wisconsin - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Ken Grunke  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Re: Anim8or Quick-start: A 3D Form
Reply #1 - Sep 21st, 2007 at 8:02pm

Thanks Bud that will help me immensely since I'm really comp stupid.

Chuck

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

ChaKaJo
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 21st, 2007 at 9:21pm

Thanks a TON Ken.

I downloaded this a couple weeks ago and didn't have time to make sense of it.  You got me off to a great start now...Thanks, again.  8)

IP Logged

Charlie Adams

Another Knot is a another
Golden Opportunity!

Reply #3 - Sep 22nd, 2007 at 9:22am

Thanks Ken,

I am sure this will help.

Charlie

yorksub  
IP Logged

Charlie Adams

Another Knot is a another
Golden Opportunity!

Reply #4 - Sep 22nd, 2007 at 10:48am

Hey!  I made a Cup   Wink

But can't figure out how to    "Delete the Lathed Form"  to take
me back to the curved line.

Charlie

yorksub  
IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Los Angeles, CA, California, USA
Los Angeles, CA
California
USA

Re: B: Anim8or Quick-start: A 3D Form
Reply #5 - Sep 22nd, 2007 at 1:46pm

Ken, thanks for that tutorial, that's great.  I updated your post to reflect a Beginner level tutorial.. Everyone can benefit from this one!

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

Ken Grunke

I finally got around to
it!

SW Wisconsin
Wisconsin
USA

Re: B - Anim8or Quick-start: A 3D Form
Reply #6 - Sep 22nd, 2007 at 2:24pm

Chris, I was wonderin' what was up with that "B"  Smiley

Charlie, to delete a form, make sure the lower selector button is picked--that's the arrow that looks like a mouse cursor. And the top arrow has to be picked in order to see the bottom one. Then just click on the form to show the white bounding box, and hit the Delete key.
« Last Edit: Sep 22nd, 2007 at 2:24pm by Ken Grunke »  

Home Page: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register and webmaster, Coulee Region Woodturners of SW Wisconsin - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Ken Grunke  
IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Los Angeles, CA, California, USA
Los Angeles, CA
California
USA

Reply #7 - Sep 22nd, 2007 at 2:28pm

were you worried I was grading you?  Wink
« Last Edit: Sep 22nd, 2007 at 2:28pm by Chris Wright »  

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ken Grunke

I finally got around to
it!

SW Wisconsin
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #8 - Sep 25th, 2007 at 10:31am

Hey Chris, I just noticed my new forum label. Cool, thanks! Grin

WWW Ken Grunke  
IP Logged

Mike Davis

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #9 - Sep 28th, 2007 at 1:10am

Hey Chris,are you going to tell us what the I & B letters are for or do we have to start guessing? Lips Sealed
Mike

IP Logged

WinsorWoods
WR Addict

I don't need a Snappy
Slogan, Junior's got
a tatoo

Reply #10 - Sep 28th, 2007 at 1:35am

Quote:
Hey Chris,are you going to tell us what the I & B letters are for or do we have to start guessing? Lips Sealed
Mike

No need to start guessing.  krayon has a decoder ring for you

Dan

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.  Those that understand binary numbers and those who don't.
WWW 453230839 winsorwoods Toucan455  
IP Logged

Mike Davis

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #11 - Sep 29th, 2007 at 2:39pm

Hey  Dan, I guess its a age thing?Can't rember what I read yesterday Roll Eyes
Thanks
Mike

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print