Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Home made Jooltool (Read 2,241 times)

George Carrigan

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Home made Jooltool
Sep 27th, 2007 at 11:02am

I know this may sould like blasphemy but has anyone tried to make their own Jooltool. I was thinking about using a flutter head sander with 240 grit. The arbor can be mounted in a jacobs chuck and is easily attached to the lathe or can be mounted in a drill. Industrial Abrasives (page 15) has a starter kit for $5.20. It may be an option until we can afford the real thing. George

IP Logged

junior
Ex Member

Re: Home made Jooltool
Reply #1 - Sep 29th, 2007 at 1:45am

blasphemy??   

You gotta be joking right??? We are woodturners... we have discussions, threads, pictures, and links to home made versions of "this tool" or "that tool"... I am glad you asked this question.. Unfortunately i am not familiar enough with the jooltool to answer but still a brilliant question!!! Someone will be along to answer that knows what's up and of course this will set the wheels in motion!!! Soon we will have a tutorial on how to make your own jooltool!!!

IP Logged

Ken Grunke

I finally got around to
it!

SW Wisconsin, Wisconsin, USA
SW Wisconsin
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #2 - Sep 29th, 2007 at 4:27pm

I  have not but if you are referring to the sharpening setup, I would get the Jooltool Ninja Cut discs which are $17 for a half dozen and attach one on an arbor to mount on a drill press. I don't know what size the hole is in these discs, but an arbor should be easy to find at the hardware store.
Mount the disc with the abrasive down just like the real thing and use the drill press's table to rest your hands on while holding the work or tool you're grinding.
From the looks of it however, the drill press would have to be operated in reverse which may complicate matters a bit but most motors are reversable. I believe the arbor holding the disc would need reverse threads to avoid unscrewing the disc as it runs. Just from what I can see on the Jooltool website.
« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2007 at 4:34pm by Ken Grunke »  

Home Page: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register and webmaster, Coulee Region Woodturners of SW Wisconsin - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Ken Grunke  
IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #3 - Sep 29th, 2007 at 4:42pm

And since the taper is small at the top and large at the bottom, you would have problems threading it on.

JimQ

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

George Carrigan

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Oct 1st, 2007 at 3:03pm

I just got the latest edition of the Klingspor catalog and they have a version called Work Sharp 3000. Looks like the same idea. I tried using 240 grit in the flapper sander and it didn't do anything except scratch up the tool. Your right Ken I'll need to buy the Ninga discs and try it with those. George

IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Woodturners: 21st century
Druids

Reply #5 - Oct 1st, 2007 at 4:28pm

Same idea, poor execution on the WS3000 I'm afraid.  Whenever I demo for a tool manufacturer I always check out the competition so I know I'm supporting the best there is to offer.  The WS 2k and 3k have the typical 'copycat' flaws to them when someone tries to follow a good idea with a less expensive version.  Here's what I found when I compared these to the JoolTool:

Cons:
- The overall footprint is about twice as large
- Both are underpowered, and max out on the RPMs too early (580) for this type of sharpening
- Only offers 7 grits total between the two types of wheels with major steps inbetween
- The tool area under the see-through wheel is very limited and doesn't allow for obtuse bevelled tools such as square scrapers or bowl gouges ground for platters (60* and up)
- the motor windings and armature are exposed inside the plastic casing.  The plastic casing is not sealed well so a large portion of the grinding dust can get into and on the motor with no easy way to clean it out.
- Design doesn't allow for other functions aside from sharpening (such as buffing, polishing, deburring)
- Design doesn't allow for sharpening drill bits, long blades, router bits, etc.

Pros:
- The 3000 improves over the 2000 by using the top with glass wheels to apply grit to allowing to sharpen blunt tools (but GLASS wheels?  don't they know we're working with steel tools??)
- the top side tool rest makes it easy to freehand sharpen turning tools
- The angle setting guide is an excellent idea, however it only allows for 4 set angles, none of which are normally used by woodturners

Hope this helps...
Chris

Three Mutts Customs
Custom Leather, Wood & Metal gear
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Druids

Reply #6 - Oct 1st, 2007 at 4:35pm

OK, so after some thought, if you really want to rig it and just use the discs, here's another idea:

Get a long 3/16" bolt and a couple of nuts & washers
Get a couple of Ninja discs & sanding pads (or make your own sanding pads)
drill out the center of the Ninja disc to 3/16"
cut the head off the bolt and put a nut and washer on
put the Ninja disc on
secure with the other nut and washer
put in your Jacob's chuck and put the chuck on the lathe
bring the tool rest up and turn the lathe on in reverse (or put your tool rest on the right side)
sharpen the tools with the flute facing the center of the spindle (9 o'clock or 3 o'clock)

Three Mutts Customs
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing"
IP Logged

WinsorWoods
WR Addict

I don't need a Snappy
Slogan, Junior's got
a tatoo

Reply #7 - Oct 1st, 2007 at 8:11pm

That's a great idea Spinner!  Especially for those that wish to save a little $$.  I guess the big downside that I see that that you either need two lathes, or you have to remove your piece from the lathe if you are sharpening in the middle of a project.

Dan

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.  Those that understand binary numbers and those who don't.
WWW 453230839 winsorwoods Toucan455  
IP Logged

Ken Grunke

I finally got around to
it!

SW Wisconsin, Wisconsin, USA
SW Wisconsin
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #8 - Oct 1st, 2007 at 9:43pm

Nice one for the Tips and Techiques forum, Chris. I just hope the Jooltool folks don't get miffed at the suggestion of building a tool to replace what they sell.
« Last Edit: Oct 1st, 2007 at 9:46pm by Ken Grunke »  

Home Page: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register and webmaster, Coulee Region Woodturners of SW Wisconsin - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Ken Grunke  
IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #9 - Oct 1st, 2007 at 11:30pm

They still get to sell you supplies for it.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

JimQ

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Chris Wright
WR Addict

Druids

Reply #10 - Oct 3rd, 2007 at 11:45am

Well, and consider what Dan said...it can be done but it would be a PITA to sharpen & turn if you only have one lathe.  The idea behind the JoolTool is to make sharpening faster & easier.  The way I justified it is how much is my time worth?  I'm one of those 'time people' that is always curious as to how long it actually takes to do something compared to something else.  Sharpening for example goes like this:  

On a grinder, it takes (in reality) about 3 minutes to regrind a tool in the middle of a standard turning day (production runs are different as you pre-set everything at the beginning and only use specific tools) where you might use a couple different grind angle settings.  This includes walking to the grinder, checking & setting the angle, grinding and walking back.  

On a JoolTool, it take about 1.5 minutes to walk over, mark the bevel, regrind and walk back. Again, this is assuming standard sharpening and not honing, etc.

This doesn't sound like much of a time difference, but when you consider that most tools should be sharpened much more often than most folks do (I sharpen every 10 minutes or so on a busy day or a big project) it starts to add up.  At a shop rate average of $60/hr and based on my old turning schedule of an average of 30 hrs/week you're looking at 4.5 total hours of sharpening at a savings of $270 which is about what the JoolTool starter set-up costs.  

In Vegas I tested this out with Stuart Batty (I was sharpening his tools during our demos) and over the course of 4 days, he turned a total of 8 pieces and sent his tools over for more than 50 grinds (we actually stopped counting at 48).  Each piece took approx. 1 hour to turn and I know that Stu's shop rate is about 4 times what mine is or more.

Three Mutts Customs

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print