Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I - Making an Ice Pick Spike (Read 982 times)

DerekJeffries

I - Making an Ice Pick Spike
Oct 2nd, 2007 at 10:39am

Alsatian wrote on Oct 1st, 2007 at 6:57pm:
I could write a book on making scratch awls and ice picks.  I've probably made and sold nearly 200 since 1996.  My suggestion would be to find an old HSS aircraft bit from 3/16" to 1/4" (the long bits). They easily cut with a decent hacksaw blade, so cut it off to your desired length.  My next suggestion would be to chuck one end in an electric hand drill and rotate against a slower moving grinding wheel so as not to adversely effect the bits' temper.  Turn until you've achieved the point you want.  They rechuck into a Jacobs chuck in your headstock and polish with 100 to 1200 grit, this won't rust if you've used good HSS and clean it off after each use.  I generally will use brass, nickel silver or copper as a ferrule material and silver solder it to the blade/shaft.  That option is up to you.  Then turn your handle to you desired size and shape.  I usually center drill the handle while it's chucked with a Jacobs  chuck in the tailstock.  Good luck

Derek Jeffries
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW 1849929631  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
jacen68

Relax and have fun

Re: I - Making an Ice Pick Spike
Reply #1 - Oct 5th, 2007 at 5:37pm

Where do you find brass at a good/ cheap price?  I've looked around at the local stores and just haven't found any.   Looking to do a cane in the future, curious about what kind of bucks I need to save up.

Take care and have fun, &&Jason
jacen68 jacen68  
IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Re: I - Making an Ice Pick Spike
Reply #2 - Oct 5th, 2007 at 8:05pm

Try some brass plumbing hardware.  You can turn it round on the lathe with your regular tools.   CoolRev. Doug Miller

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY. Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens. Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print