Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
B-Dust free enviroment container (home made cheap) (Read 4,380 times)

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

B-Dust free enviroment container (home made cheap)
Oct 6th, 2007 at 2:56pm

If you haven't ever seen my shop It's minuscule. It's about 8' x 8'  I have to go outside to change my mind. Whenever I turned something I had to wait until the next day so that the dust would settle so I didn't get anything on the finish. It would take me days to do one piece. While I was doing my Route I saw 2 stands to hold folding tv tables I figured I would use them to make some depth gauges for bowls.

I made a bowl & put the finish on & used one side of the stand on a table & draped linen napkins over to keep the dust down It didn't work. Well Pat (wife)
bought a new comforter for our bed & after I looked at the empty plastic container that it came in I had my first wood working Epiphany. So I went to my local Borg & got some 3/4" PVC & elbows & 1/4" Hardboard. this is what I came up with.

All pics are thumbnails click to get the full size pic.

My finishing area is the table right next to the water heater.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Plastic zippered comforter bag.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

So this is what I came back with from the Borgs. some 3/4'' PVC & some 3 way elbows & 1/4'' Hardboard.

I sized the frame to the bag & cut the side pieces 6'' & the length pieces at 18'' then assembled the frame.

Then I cut the 1/4'' hardboard to fit inside for extra strength & so my turnings have a stable base to sit on. I cut the corners in a half circle so the hardboard can't come out.

installed it inside the comforter bag

Completed dust free environment container in it's home now I can put the finish on whatever I just did zip the bag closed & I can do more turning or sanding & not worry about getting anything on the finish.

« Last Edit: Oct 7th, 2007 at 9:54am by DerekJeffries »  

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill, South Carolina, USA
Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Re: Dust free enviroment container (home made chea
Reply #1 - Oct 6th, 2007 at 4:39pm

That'll work, just make sure you don't fire up a smoke or anything around it if your using a flammable finish, the fumes will light up your life for real! Cool idea!
Grin Smiley

Wizzy

IP Logged

WinsorWoods
WR Addict

I don't need a Snappy
Slogan, Junior's got
a tatoo

Reply #2 - Oct 6th, 2007 at 4:55pm

Hey Nice idea Recon.  Does that get enough airflow to allow the finish to cure?  Or does that even matter?

Dan

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.  Those that understand binary numbers and those who don't.
WWW 453230839 winsorwoods Toucan455  
IP Logged

Paul Zerjay

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Oct 6th, 2007 at 6:07pm

Fill that thing up with half a dozen freshly finshed pieces, close it up, and that thing might just blow up like a balloon!!! Grin Grin Grin

Sometimes I mentor

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #4 - Oct 6th, 2007 at 6:10pm

Since I have the flap folding down I leave one side unzipped so fumes can escape.
I'm thinking of putting in some kind of hole with plastic grommets & add some type of piping so you can use a slow type of blower or suction system to let fumes escape. So for now I just leave one side unzipped. I don't use any type of finishing in the basement that has toxic fumes cause the water heater is to close to me so I don't get any type of BOOM Roll Eyes

Chuck

IP Logged

ChaKaJo
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Oct 6th, 2007 at 6:56pm

That's a pretty slick idea, Chuck...WTG!!

IP Logged

Leo Frilot
WR Addict

When the going gets tough,
get a bigger gouge!!!

Baton Rouge, LA, Louisiana, USA
Baton Rouge, LA
Louisiana
USA

Reply #6 - Oct 7th, 2007 at 12:17am

It looks good, Chuck.  But what kind of finish are you using?  If it's polyurethane, it probably won't work.  Unless you have some sort of air intake and output system.  Sorry if I'm sounding pessimistic.  Hope I'm wrong because I have 1 in my closet right now!

Live for today, plan for tomorrow, but have fun regardless!Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Leo.Frilot  
IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #7 - Oct 7th, 2007 at 7:11am

Leo,
You don't sound pessimistic at all a valid question. Since I have never done any type of wood working until I got my lathe I'm glad I get responses to questions like yours. I thought of the air flow through the bag. But I made the original post so people with more experience then mine can help me make it better by giving me advise. As far as design help maybe & especially with air flow to help drying & for fume control.

Chuck

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #8 - Oct 7th, 2007 at 7:16am

Back in the day... when I did flat work... I used to drape from the ceiling a plastic sheet over a freshly finished project. Looked like a pup tent with no sides. This worked well for preventing dust.

I'll bet if you left one side open you won't have a problem. Give is a try and see what happens.

IP Logged

boxxmaker
Ex Member

I Love WR

Reply #9 - Oct 7th, 2007 at 8:38am

Hey Chuck,what type of finish do you use ?

IP Logged

DerekJeffries

Re: B-Dust free enviroment container (home made ch
Reply #10 - Oct 7th, 2007 at 9:59am

You could take a small fan from a PC and mount it to a hole cut in the side, apply a small bit of filter to keep the dust out, and then cut a smaller hole on the other side.  This would allow for air flow to dry the piece, and the positive air flow created from the fan would keep the dust out of your exhaust side.

Derek Jeffries
WWW 1849929631  
IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #11 - Oct 7th, 2007 at 10:46am

Ron,
I'll try it & let you know.

Box,
I have used Minwax Poly & I just got the Deft Waterborne high gloss laquer.
(so far I'm not impressed with the waterborne one. I plan on trying the oil based one)

Krayon,
Excellent idea I never would have thought of it. See I came up with a idea & you guys make it a lot better.

Chuck

IP Logged

Stuart Ablett

Turning Japanese........

Reply #12 - Nov 11th, 2007 at 2:32pm

Great idea, great bodge!  Cool

For airflow, get yourself a small computer fan they are cheap and run off of 12V DC, and are brushless motors, so I do not think sparks would be a problem. Find an old AC adapter around, does not even have to be 12V could be 10V or 9V, the fan will just run a bit slower is all. Mount the fan on a piece of thing plywood, cut a round hole in your bag, and then attach the fan on plywood with a matching piece of plywood from the inside, put the fan's flow so it draws the air out of the bag. On the opposite side, make another plywood sheet sandwich, but put some kind of a filter over the hole.

Other thing you could do is only do one hole, I imagine the zipper will leak fairly well, even if zipped up, so put the fan blowing in, and make some kind of filter on the inlet side of the fan, this would have the advantage of blowing the bag up, well, maybe that is an advantage...?

Again, great way to reuse something that would just become garbage!  Smiley

EDIT........ whoops, I see that Krayon had the same idea.......... Tongue
« Last Edit: Nov 11th, 2007 at 2:33pm by Stuart Ablett »  

“if you don’t read the newspapers you are uninformed — if you do read the newspapers you are misinformed.” Mark Twain
IP Logged

Al Stramiello

"What we have here is
a failure to communicate"

Reply #13 - Nov 19th, 2007 at 11:41pm

Recon ..... hi.  I'm new around here and really don't want to sound like an alarmist.  I was very interested in reading about your Dust free environment container.  I was looking through your photos and noticed the gas hot water heater in your shop.   A note of caution:  you want to be very careful about the pilot light flame and fumes from finishing materials.  My brother once had a nasty experience with glue fumes from a newly laid carpet catching on fire when they carried over to his gas hot water heater.  Just a friendly word of caution.

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #14 - Nov 20th, 2007 at 6:30pm

Doc,
No problem thanks. because of how small my shop is & the closeness of the water heater I use no finish that's flammable in the basement. If I have to I go outside & do it.

Chuck

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print