Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
shop made sharpening jig (Read 3,219 times)

Bob Hampton

stress releif "let the
chips fly"

shop made sharpening jig
Oct 7th, 2007 at 9:31am

found this link to plans for a homemade wolverine setup ....though it would be good for those
that can't afford the factory system right now

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

this is a PDF so you will need to install adobe reader if you dont have it

Bob

Bob
Bob Hampton  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
badger

Woodbox 23

Re: shop made sharpening jig
Reply #1 - Oct 17th, 2007 at 3:05am

I just recently moved my article on a home made sharpening jig to my other site.  It had originally been posted to my blog, but I have been moving all the articles over to my woodworks site.

The article is here:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It's been working quite well for me, and is a similar design to the already posted.

hope that helps.

--==--==--&&Woodbox 23 (Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register)&&A daily weblog on woodworking, and woodturning.
IP Logged

Bill Blasic

Wood Isn't Just Wood Anymore!

Reply #2 - Oct 20th, 2007 at 8:47am

Badger,
Well done, I'll point some of my club members who like to make their own jigs to your site.

IP Logged

badger

Woodbox 23

Reply #3 - Oct 23rd, 2007 at 3:16am

Glad to help. 

It certainly helped my turning to have a sharp chisel at hand.

badger

--==--==--&&Woodbox 23 (Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register)&&A daily weblog on woodworking, and woodturning.
IP Logged

MikeInMo

Hyperbole is the best
thing ever!

Reply #4 - Jan 1st, 2008 at 10:10am

Happy New Year!

Yesterday I built a sharpening jig combining the two jigs above.  Thanks for posting them guys!

The base is very similar to Badger's.  I used leftover plywood and and oak in my shop.  Badger's write-up is very good.

I built the arm more like the Taunton jig though with some modification.  The height of the "step" does match the 4" vertical distance from the center of the wheel    However, I put the v-notch in the upper step where the dimple is shown.  I think the fingernail jig could be used in the v-notch just fine.

I still need to build a skew arm and fingernail jig, but I think those will be straightforward enough.  One question since I haven't done the trig yet - is the 3.5" offset for the skew arm in Badger's design  pretty much standard?  In my mind, that dimension should vary based on the overall length of the skew and the angle of the skew grind, but maybe it doesn't vary enough to matter.

Mike

"Even if you are on the right track, you will get run over if you just sit there." Will Rogers

Don't sneeze in your face shield.

IP Logged

Bob Hampton

stress releif "let the
chips fly"

Reply #5 - Jan 1st, 2008 at 10:04pm

mike
one note about the fingernail jig that i discovered when i was using mine.....when u make the block that slips over the tool shaft ...put the holding bolt at the botton so it tightens on the ROUND part of the tool shaft not in the flute.
If you let it tighten in the flute you will not be able to rotate the tool in the holder to it lines up on the wheel correctly.
when u first make the jig and set it up for the tool ...take a black marker and color all the cutting edge that will hit the wheel...set the tip of the tool out about 2" and lock it down...lay the tip on the well and rotate the wheel by hand 1 full revolution...now look at the tip ..there should be a scratch mark from top to bottom ..if not then move the v arm in or out whatever is needed.
next lay the tool over on the left side or right whatever u prefer....do the same with the wheel ..i full turn ..look at the mark...if more on top then rotate the tool in the holder to the right or left just a little to get the full mark ...if u have the hold down bolt in the flute you cant do that ...so install it on the bottom.
Bob

Bob
Bob Hampton  
IP Logged

BIOA
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #6 - Jan 2nd, 2008 at 7:55pm

Hi Bob & Badger. Great jigs for sharpening for those of us with more time than money. I made my own slow speed grinder though, by using a motor from 1 hp motor from a band saw and mounted that to a table with a belt going to an 8 inch v wheel and took the switch from the bandsaw to mount on the table edge. It turns very slowly on the 8 inch wheel, but I can switch the belt to a six inch wheel mounted next to the 8 inch and get a faster speed. It has kept me from burning my tool edges plus with a laminated cardboard wheel I can hone the edge with polishing compound.
Marc

Whether you believe you can or you believe you can't, you're right!&&Marc

IP Logged

boxxmaker
Ex Member

I Love WR

Reply #7 - Jan 2nd, 2008 at 8:19pm

Hi Mark an welcome,where abouts in Fl are you.I'm in Tampa during the winter,then NC for the summer.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #8 - Jan 2nd, 2008 at 8:25pm

Mark,
We love pics why don't you take some & show us your system also show us some of your work you may give others ideas.

Chuck

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Bob Hampton

stress releif "let the
chips fly"

Reply #9 - Jan 3rd, 2008 at 9:09am

Marc
I would also be interested in seeing your setup sounds interesting ....i use a  1 inch belt sander with a home made wolverine type setup most of the time...i get tired of chasing the pos grinder on the bench ...it vibrates everything off onto the floor most of the time and the sander gives me a nice sharp edge.

bob

Bob
Bob Hampton  
IP Logged

MikeInMo

Hyperbole is the best
thing ever!

Reply #10 - Jan 5th, 2008 at 5:05pm

Bob Hampton wrote on Jan 1st, 2008 at 10:04pm:
mike
one note about the fingernail jig that i discovered when i was using mine.....
Bob

Thanks Bob.  I printed your comments so I will keep them in mind once I build it.

"Even if you are on the right track, you will get run over if you just sit there." Will Rogers

Don't sneeze in your face shield.

IP Logged

Bob Hampton

stress releif "let the
chips fly"

Reply #11 - Jan 5th, 2008 at 6:07pm

your welcome ...glad I could help some
Bob

Bob
Bob Hampton  
IP Logged