Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rusty tools (Read 1,484 times)

boxxmaker
Ex Member

I Love WR

Rusty tools
Oct 28th, 2007 at 8:32am

I have seen tips on keeping rust of lathes,well last week I cored out some WET walnut,then just laid my Kell McNaughton tool down and never thought anymore about it untill a few days later when I went to pack it up.Took me about an hr to get the rust of of it Angry Angry.Just thought I would point this out to those of us who may have one of these.They rust in a hurry.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ryan Phillips

Richmond, VA, Virginia, USA
Richmond, VA
Virginia
USA

Re: Rusty tools
Reply #1 - Oct 28th, 2007 at 9:41am

I dont mean to jack your thread but it kind of relates to this...is it bad that I use motor oil on my tool rest?

IP Logged

boxxmaker
Ex Member

I Love WR

Reply #2 - Oct 28th, 2007 at 9:52am

No its not a bad idea if thats all you have.IThe only thing with motor oil is that it can get on your hands and then the wood and leave stains(its just messy) just keep a can of wd-40 setting by the lathe,which I use all the time.I just spray it on then wipe of with a paper towel and it doen't biuld up and get messy.In this case I just never paid attention to the tool.In fact I use it on all my shop tools.
« Last Edit: Oct 28th, 2007 at 9:54am by Ken Ward »  

IP Logged

Norbert Dupas
WR Addict

Oakbank, Manitoba, Canada
Oakbank
Manitoba
Canada

Reply #3 - Nov 11th, 2007 at 2:16am

Anyone try to use wax?  like car or paste wax?  I tried it, nu-finish car polish worked ok, but it didn't stay on long.  When I turn a green bowl, I wipe the water very well, then spray the WD-40, then put a light coat of nu-finish.  Sometime's I will run a very fine sandpaper on the bed to make sure it's smooth, then wax it.
« Last Edit: Nov 11th, 2007 at 2:25am by Norbert Dupas »  

...Bert

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #4 - Nov 11th, 2007 at 8:31am

Burt, I use a candle stick, a few swipes on the tool rest is all that is needed

Ken, I have the Kelton coring tools and noticed that walnut is prone to make tools rust.
« Last Edit: Nov 11th, 2007 at 8:33am by Ron Sardo »  

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

boxxmaker
Ex Member

I Love WR

Reply #5 - Nov 11th, 2007 at 9:13am

Bert,I have a can of CHEAP paste wax,about 3 bucks that I use on my lathe bandsaws and such,then spray with W_D 40,especially on the bearings on my bandsaw, and around parts you can't get to.

IP Logged

Đave Wendell
WR Addict

Charleston, SC, South Carolina, USA
Charleston, SC
South Carolina
USA

Reply #6 - Nov 11th, 2007 at 6:54pm

I've been using Top Coat for years on all my metal surfaces.  Spray on and wipe off.  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register  it's the one in the brown can.

Another good product is T-9.  Basically the same thing but for some reason usually gets better reviews.  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register  The T-9 also has a good rust remover product.

Life's Short, Laugh Hard!

IP Logged

JDLanger
WR Addict

Got Wood?

Reply #7 - Nov 13th, 2007 at 1:29pm

By the alternative, I want a little buildup on my ways.  I don't want them pitted, but I want them a little brown, and not shiny.  It prevents them from further rusting, and disallows water being trapped inside that coat of oil, or wax, that just got put on.  Also, it holds the banjo better, as well as the tailstock.

Professional Exotic Firewood salesman.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print