Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Home made bowl finish? (Read 1,748 times)

Norbert Dupas
WR Addict

Oakbank, Manitoba, Canada
Oakbank
Manitoba
Canada

Home made bowl finish?
Nov 20th, 2007 at 9:28pm

Hi again everyone!  I have a question...does anyone here know of any home-made finish that can be used to coat a bowl or any turning project to give it that beautiful look?  I use Linseed oil, mineral spirits & varathane.  Seems to work good, but I'm looking for something perhaps better.  Any ideas?  I also thought of using Minwax or Poly-Urethane, but haven't tried this yet.  What is YOUR recipe?   Wink

...Bert

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
boxxmaker
Ex Member

I Love WR

Re: Home made bowl finish?
Reply #1 - Nov 20th, 2007 at 9:54pm

Hi Bert I use the same mix except I use polyurathane.Been using it for years and love the natural finish it leaves.Another reason is that you don't have to worry about the dust.

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #2 - Nov 21st, 2007 at 12:09pm

I'll never forget Russ Fairfield talking about his "homebrew" and how he told us not to attribute it to him since he did not come up with it.  All Russ claimed to have done was to tweak it to his prefferences.  The receipe is 1 part pure tung oil, 1 part turpintine, and 1 part McClusky's Spar Urathane.  He likes tung oil because it is a harder and clearer oil than BLO.  Turpintine is preferred because he likes the oder better than minerial spirits.  Finally, Russ prefers McClusky's simply because he believes it to be the best spar urathane on the market. 

If the mixture isn't drying to your desires, you can add a small amount of dryers for faster drying, or retarders for slower. 
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Norbert Dupas
WR Addict

Oakbank, Manitoba, Canada
Oakbank
Manitoba
Canada

Reply #3 - Nov 21st, 2007 at 1:36pm

Did anyone here try using minwax at all?  I used it for Intarsia projects, and it is wonderful stuff.  I never tried it for bowls, but bet it would enhance some grains of certain woods.

...Bert

...Bert

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill, South Carolina, USA
Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #4 - Nov 21st, 2007 at 5:57pm

Hey Bert, I use minwax semi gloss polyurethane on most all my turning's and I'm happy with how it turn's out, but I do use a sanding sealer as the base coat first to seal the wood and then the polly as a finish. I put on several coats and sanding between coats with 400 grit work really well for me.

I don't thin it any and if you do choose to use it, do not shake the can, stir it only or you'll get alot of bubbles in it and it'll show as it dries which isn't good and a pain in the rear to get rid of. I will shake it up from time to time to keep the mix blended but not on the day I need to apply it.

Wizzy

IP Logged

Joe White

Too new to  be a newbie!

Reply #5 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 12:15pm

Is the Minwax safe to use on bowls that will be used for food, or is it for display projects only?

Joe White

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #6 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 12:47pm

The official word is that all finishes are food safe WHEN COMPLETELY CURED.  That means that there is no smell from the finish left.  However, if you have to explain that to a customer, you've lost the sale.  You be the judge.  Do want to eat that finish in front of your customer?
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print