Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

? for all oil users
Nov 30th, 2007 at 2:01pm

I have a herd of pieces in the finish process.  All wood is sealed.  Oil has been applied.  The last coat I applied is not drying but is sticky. 
1)  Could it be that my oil finish has gone bad? 
2)  Should I wipe the pieces down with mineral spirits to get rid of the sticky?
3)  Would you try to thin and continue using the old oil finish, or would just dump it and start with a new bottle?
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY. Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens. Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Re: ? for all oil users
Reply #1 - Nov 30th, 2007 at 2:15pm

What type of oil are you using?

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #2 - Nov 30th, 2007 at 9:13pm

Ace Tung Oil Finish, gloss

I still want your answers, but I have gotten some new finish. 
CoolRev. Doug Miller
« Last Edit: Nov 30th, 2007 at 9:25pm by Rev. Doug Miller »  

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY. Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens. Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
IP Logged

Tony Wheeler
WR Addict

Reply #3 - Nov 30th, 2007 at 9:28pm

Rev I have had trouble with the Ace brand when the humidity is high and then when it falls it seems to set up and before when i used the Formby brand it did not seem be as much of issue but still took longer when the humidity was high

Walton Kansas

IP Logged

blacky

Spring Gobbler Season
Does It For Me

Reply #4 - Nov 30th, 2007 at 9:48pm

It could also be the type of wood you are putting it on. I know when I use padauk it takes forever to dry because it is an oily wood to start with.

blacky&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #5 - Dec 1st, 2007 at 12:08pm

Ok folks, here's the deal as I've put it together with the insights of all of you, the folks on Wood Central, and going back over what I have.  First, the oil was purchased nearly a year ago.  It did spend a good bit of time in my garage/shop that is not air conditioned.  Second, I normally pour out what I think I will need into a container and work out of that.  Any remainder is examined for dust, dirt, and crud and returned to the bottle if found clean.  Third, I went to pour the remainder back into the bottle the other day and saw that there was some gelling taking place.  Fourth, I was going on my wife's telling me that the finish was sticky.

Well the verdict is:  The finish is old, but not as bad as I thought it was.  If the pieces had been sticky, my best recourse would have been to wipe them down with a generous amount of fresh oil to soften and loosen the old sticky stuff, followed by wiping to as dry as possible.  Once that had cured then I probably could have gone to the buffer and come out with a great finish. 

Seems that once the finish has begun to gel it is too late to add thinner.  It is a good idea to add a bit of thinner when the oil begins to get too thick to really soak in.  Gel signifies that the oil has begun to break down and clump together with the urethanes.  Best thing to do is to toss it out and start fresh. 

So, all that to say, thanks for all your insights and help.  I hope this helps someone else down the road as well.
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print