Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I - very simple/easy bandsaw blade sharpening (Read 1,692 times)

DerekJeffries

I - very simple/easy bandsaw blade sharpening
Dec 12th, 2007 at 9:46am

Bob Hampton wrote on Dec 11th, 2007 at 10:21pm:
tonight poking around on the net I found this article on bandsaw blade sharpening

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Now i have about probly 10 1/2x3 tpi blades that are duller then dull so reading this article and following what he was doing (there is a short video at the bottom) i took and old blade and attemped to resharpen it ...took about 30 min..(.im a slow old fart) then set it up on the bandsaw and cut a piece of mytle that was well seasoned and the blade i just replaced was having a very hard time cutting it ..burn marks and all ...this one walked right threw it without a hitch...now its not as good as a pro sharpened blade or a new blade so dont expect that ...but for 30 min of my time i salvaged what would have been thrown out at some point soon and made use of it again.

For those interested in prolonging some blades ...try it ..not hard at all ...save a few bucks in the process.

Bob

Derek Jeffries
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW 1849929631  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Bill Bolen
WR Supporter

Missouri turner

Eureka, Missouri, USA
Eureka
Missouri
USA

Re: I - very simple/easy bandsaw blade sharpening
Reply #1 - Jan 10th, 2008 at 11:52am

What Krayon said. I tried it and found it to be a very quick and easy method! My old Timberwolf cuts like new again and saved me $20 for 20 minutes work!...Bill...
« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2008 at 11:53am by Bill Bolen »  

2Ljunkie

IP Logged

JoshW
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #2 - Jan 17th, 2008 at 1:22pm

Krayon,

What do you use for cleaning the blade after processing green wood?  It seems the sap can really bake itself on.

Thanks,

Josh

IP Logged

DerekJeffries

Reply #3 - Jan 17th, 2008 at 3:11pm

Actually this was originally posted by grybeard, I search the forum and collect Tips to place in a central location.

Derek Jeffries
WWW 1849929631  
IP Logged

Bob Hampton

stress releif "let the
chips fly"

Reply #4 - Jan 17th, 2008 at 5:59pm

josh
If u need to clean a blade after cutting green blanks use some mineral spirits ...acetone or even wd40...
I have found that if u spray down the blade with PAM cooking spray it pretty well eliminates any pitch or residue from getting on the blade and also will lubricate the blade while cutting.

Bob

Bob
Bob Hampton  
IP Logged

nuturner
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jan 18th, 2008 at 12:13am

Whatever you decide to try for cleaning the blade, be sure to check and identify the type of material they used in the  manufacture of the tires on your band saw wheels.  Some materials used in making these tires don't look kindly at certain solvents  Shocked
« Last Edit: Jan 18th, 2008 at 12:13am by N/A »  

IP Logged

George Carrigan

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Jan 31st, 2008 at 12:12pm

I was all set to throw away another blade when I read this and thought I'd give it a try. The video is great. It really works well. Took less than 20 min for a 142" blade. George

IP Logged

Bob Hampton

stress releif "let the
chips fly"

Reply #7 - Jan 31st, 2008 at 1:43pm

glad to hear this article has helped
I had the unfortunate happen a couple days ago myself and this simple solution saved me from having to buy another blade.
I installed a brand new 3/4 blade ive had for about a yr kicking around..thought i would try it out on some straight cuts for some vase blanks....all was going very well until the 3rd one ...thought i had check all this myrtlewood over pretty good ...well wouldn't ya know it...half way threw the first cut of the 3rd blank and  BANG!...hit a blasted nail! hidden inside the bark!..stuff happens when u dont have a metal detector i guess.
Well dug out the dremel tool and disc attachment and sat down on a comfortable stool...about 45 min later (ya I know im a little slow...its the age thing ya know) i had it cutting good as a new one again.

Bob

Bob
Bob Hampton  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print