Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
naptha, mineral spirits, or turpentine (Read 826 times)

Joe White

Too new to  be a newbie!

naptha, mineral spirits, or turpentine
Dec 23rd, 2007 at 2:29am

What is the preferred "thinner" for varnishes, and do you use any of these for washing your turnings in between sandings?  Does that include wet sanding?

Joe White

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Re: naptha, mineral spirits, or turpentine
Reply #1 - Dec 23rd, 2007 at 11:19pm

As a thinner for varnishes, mineral spirits or turpentine either one.  Naptha would be the preferred for wiping down between sandings, but any of the three will work fine.  I wouldn't use any of these for wet sanding.  The will all evaporate too fast.  Use an oil finish if you are going to "wet sand."
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Freddie Hicks
WR Addict

Lubbock, Texas, USA
Lubbock
Texas
USA

Reply #2 - Dec 24th, 2007 at 1:01am

First would be to know what we are going to wet sand, wood,metal ,oil finish, lacquer, poly ?  It would be different for me depending on what I'm doing, I sometimes wet sand with mineral spirits.I keep it in a spray bottle. More squirt than spray though. I don't use naptha and turpentine smells for a very long time.
   Freddie

Mi Vida Echa en Madera

IP Logged

Joe White

Too new to  be a newbie!

More questions
Reply #3 - Dec 24th, 2007 at 1:34am

Well I picked up some mineral spirits and some salad bowl finish.  I used the mineral spirits to clean the canarywood blank after sanding too 600.  Now I've applied my first coat of SB finish, and will do my next two coats tomorrow.  This is my first finishing job so I'm curious as to the results.  Should I wax it after a few days of curing to really bring out the shine, or will the SB finish interfere with the wax?  I don't really have a way to buff the bowl out yet so will a towel work with the bowl spinning on the lathe?  Will I even need to wax with a couple coats of SB finish?

Joe White

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #4 - Dec 24th, 2007 at 10:18am

I think you'll just have to judge that for your self.  Once the last coat of SB is dry look it over and see what it looks like.  If you are happy with the finish then you've got it.  If not even and smooth, then you'll want to put another coat.  The one time I used it I applied 5 coats before I got a good build.  Needed another coat or two to be consistent and smooth.  Kept soaking into the wood which was really dry.  Your wax idea is good, except that you will not want to use a towel with the lathe spinning.  Too much risk of it grabbing and twisting your fingers/hand/wrist.  Use a smaller cloth or better yet, paper towel folded into a small pad that you hold in your fingers and not wrapped around any of them. 
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print