Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A finish to use with creases and tight spots (Read 802 times)

ChaKaJo
Ex Member

A finish to use with creases and tight spots
Jan 3rd, 2008 at 5:21am

As the subject says, I need a finish that I can use in tight spaces.  I tried a tung oil finish on a turning that is pretty much ruined now because the finished gelatinized  Tongue  deep in some creases. 

I need a natural type finish (no spray laquer), but I'm afraid of using most of what I have on hand. 

Help  Huh

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Leo Frilot
WR Addict

When the going gets tough,
get a bigger gouge!!!

Baton Rouge, LA, Louisiana, USA
Baton Rouge, LA
Louisiana
USA

Re: A finish to use with creases and tight spots
Reply #1 - Jan 3rd, 2008 at 5:30am

How about BLO?

Live for today, plan for tomorrow, but have fun regardless!Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Leo.Frilot  
IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #2 - Jan 3rd, 2008 at 9:20am

One of the ways that we know that oil finishes are old and have gone bad is that they gel.  The first sign of gel in my finish and I know it is time to toss it and get some new stuff.  One thing that most of us don't do that we ought to do is to take some out of the original container to use and thin it with mineral spirits or turpentine.  Maybe 2 parts oil to 1 part thinner.  That way your finish will be thinner to begin with and it will soak into your wood easier.  The build will be slower, but I believe it will hold up longer and the wood will look better longer. 
I'm sure others will have other ideas, and that's ok too. 
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY. Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens. Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

boxxmaker
Ex Member

I Love WR

Reply #3 - Jan 3rd, 2008 at 9:40am

Hi Charles.as for the piece being ruined,you could probably just take some thinnner and a bristle brush and clean the old finsh of,then rebuff it and that should save your work.Hope this helps.

IP Logged

Freddie Hicks
WR Addict

Lubbock, Texas, USA
Lubbock
Texas
USA

Reply #4 - Jan 3rd, 2008 at 3:51pm

Alot of woodcarvers use Tru-Oil gun stock finish. It is an oil varnish finish comes in a small bottle in the gun section at Wal-mart for refinishing ,you guessed it, gun stocks. Here is a link Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Mi Vida Echa en Madera

IP Logged

Leo Frilot
WR Addict

When the going gets tough,
get a bigger gouge!!!

Baton Rouge, LA, Louisiana, USA
Baton Rouge, LA
Louisiana
USA

Reply #5 - Jan 3rd, 2008 at 8:23pm

I often use compressed air to get an oil finish into and out of cracks.  When I do live edge burl pieces, this method works very well for me.  I can coat the area with BLO, wipe off the excess, then use compressed air to get down into the cracks, and the excess gets blown out.  Works like a charm.

Live for today, plan for tomorrow, but have fun regardless!Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Leo.Frilot  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print