Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tounge oil (Read 1,562 times)

Josh_M.

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Tounge oil
Jan 6th, 2008 at 5:45pm

Well after taking a break from turning for a couple months.  I went back out side to turn a cherry box, everything is going great right up tell I went to finish it.  I grab my Tounge oil and open it up and start to pour it on my cloth rag. Lo and behold, it was nothing but a gel mess in the bottom of the can and wouldnt pour.

Does tounge oil do this if it gets cold outside or did it just go bad after a couple months of not using it, oh yea it did have a small opening in the lid to let air in, guess next time I use some, I should slow down and make sure its closed

Josh and the girls
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Leo Frilot
WR Addict

When the going gets tough,
get a bigger gouge!!!

Baton Rouge, LA, Louisiana, USA
Baton Rouge, LA
Louisiana
USA

Re: Tounge oil
Reply #1 - Jan 6th, 2008 at 5:46pm

Yes, Josh, Tung Oil will congeal if exposed to air.  It will also congeal if you leave it on a piece too long without wiping off the excess.

Live for today, plan for tomorrow, but have fun regardless!Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Leo.Frilot  
IP Logged

Josh_M.

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Jan 6th, 2008 at 5:49pm

haha yea thats what I thought, and thanks for the spelling on it, I am was so mad about it now that I have to throw out a half gallon of it and only used it maybe ten times.  Thanks again Leo

Josh and the girls
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #3 - Jan 6th, 2008 at 5:55pm

What Brand is it?

Pure 100% tung oil doesn't gel like that, in matter of fact, without adding driers, tung oil would take forever to dry.

I use Waterlox, and it gels just like you experienced. What I do is to pour the contents of a fresh can of finish into small jars. I fill to the brim so there is no air in the jar. I've had Waterlox last a year this way.

IP Logged

Josh_M.

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Jan 6th, 2008 at 6:31pm

Minwax Tung Oil Finish.  Doesnt say anything about the % of tung oil in it.

Josh and the girls

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #5 - Jan 6th, 2008 at 7:26pm

The MSDS for Minwax Tung Oil Finish doesn't show if there is any Tung oil present.

Doesn't that make a person wonder?

IP Logged

Josh_M.

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Jan 6th, 2008 at 7:53pm

Thats what I was thinking when I looked at the can just a few minutes ago.  Thats what you get tho it seams when you buy the first thing you see, instead of asking the advise of other wood turners.

Josh and the girls

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #7 - Jan 7th, 2008 at 9:30am

If I'm not mistaking, and of course that never happens, Russ Fairfield is pretty anti Minwax and Formby's tung oil finishes because they have no tung oil in them.  We as consumers really do need to pay more attention to what we are buying.  I know that I've bought my share of the wrong product simply because I did not read the label.  In fact, the guys at the local hardware store, they know I'm going to be a while because I'm going to read the finish labels.  I keep reading the teak oil label hoping that teak oil is going to appear.  It never does.  I wish I knew more about finishes and had the patience to apply all of them properly.  In the mean time I'll keep wishing for the perfect finish that goes on in about 10 seconds.
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #8 - Jan 7th, 2008 at 12:05pm

The MSDS on Formby's Tung Oil Finish just shows 69% mineral spirits.
It doesn't show what the other 31% is.

Wonder what they are hiding

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #9 - Jan 7th, 2008 at 12:12pm

Ron, are you looking those up on line?  And if so, what is that addy?
CoolRev. Doug Miller
« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2008 at 12:13pm by Rev. Doug Miller »  

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #10 - Jan 7th, 2008 at 12:50pm

I use google and in the search field I type (placement of the quotes marks are important)

"Watco Danish Oil" MSDS

If the chemical just shows a cas# and not a chemical name, just google the cas# to find out what it is.

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #11 - Jan 7th, 2008 at 2:34pm

Thanks
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
IP Logged

Woodbutcher

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #12 - Feb 21st, 2008 at 5:10pm

WR Web Editor

Reply #8 - Jan 7th, 2008, 9:05am    The MSDS on Formby's Tung Oil Finish just shows 69% mineral spirits. 
It doesn't show what the other 31% is.

Wonder what they are hiding 

Polyurethane.

How fortunate for national leaders thet men are so stupid!........... Adolph Hitler

IP Logged

gallianp
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Feb 21st, 2008 at 10:39pm

I have had the oil(?) congeal also and used it anyway!  Same results as fresh oil.  My experience hope (notice hope) it is for you also.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print