Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Danish Oil - Mixed Results (Read 1,282 times)

Jim Van Hooser

Houston, Texas, Texas, USA
Houston, Texas
Texas
USA

Danish Oil - Mixed Results
Jan 6th, 2008 at 10:37pm

Hello All,

I'm using Danish Oil (Watco) for the first time on two pieces.  The first, ambrosia maple, developed a really nice luster and feel after only two applications and a couple days of curing.  The other, western big leaf maple, isn't going as well.  I've applied several coats over the last 10 days and after 48 hours curing the wood still appears unsealed and there isn't any luster.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2008 at 10:40pm by Jim Van Hooser »  

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
boxxmaker
Ex Member

I Love WR

Re: Danish Oil - Mixed Results
Reply #1 - Jan 6th, 2008 at 11:05pm

I use a mixture of my own,which is a basically a form of danish oil.I always let it set for at least a week before the finish buff,unless I am puting more than one coat,then I will only wait one day between coats.Buffing with 0000 between coats.Then after the last coat I let it set for at least a week,sometimes longer,just depends on how busy I am it doesn't matter if it sets longer.Then I buff with 0000 steel wool then then beal buff.Hope this helps.

IP Logged

Glen Shaffer

WR Rocks!

Reply #2 - Jan 7th, 2008 at 8:47am

FWIW-- On my larger woodworking projects I've found that with oils I need to let the finish flash completely off before buffing. This could take a couple weeks due to the weather. I also only hand buff. Less heat to regenerate the oil. It's more work but worth the effort. I believe those type oil finishes cure a lot slower.

HTH

Cool
« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2008 at 8:48am by Glen Shaffer »  
IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #3 - Jan 7th, 2008 at 9:48am

Jim, a couple of thoughts.  One, your piece could be dryer and in need of more oil to soak in so that the pores are full.  Try saturating the piece with the finish, brushing on oil to the point of run-off and applying more as the "dry" spots appear or if you have the ability literally soak the piece, for a full twenty minutes.  Then wipe off all the excess and allow it to dry.  You should begin to see areas of "shine" within two or three coats.  Complete sheen will depend upon the porosity of the wood and how dry it is.  Hope this rambling helps.
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Jim Van Hooser

Houston, Texas
Texas
USA

Reply #4 - Jan 7th, 2008 at 4:39pm

Thanks to all for the feedback!  I'm off to try your methods. 

I'm just puzzled as to why it worked so well on one and not the other.

Jim

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #5 - Jan 7th, 2008 at 6:08pm

Could be as simple as a different piece of wood that has reacted differently than the other.  Sorry to be so vague.
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

E. Bud Gillaspie
WR Addict

Where'd I put that round
tuit?

Reply #6 - Jan 7th, 2008 at 8:39pm

When all else fails try reading the directions on the can.  Huh works everytime for me.  Smiley

The same can be said for wipe-on poly & antique oil.

E. Bud Gillaspie Umpqua Turning Club

IP Logged

boxxmaker
Ex Member

I Love WR

Reply #7 - Jan 7th, 2008 at 8:49pm

Another reason could be the age of the wood.I have a bunch of big leaf maple that is really old and dry and it soaked up the oil up like a sponge before finally getting enough in the woodwhere I could start buffing.Where as I have some that is much fresher that I can apply one coat,let dry then buff.Still tryin to help.  Smiley

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Jim Van Hooser

Houston, Texas
Texas
USA

Reply #8 - Jan 7th, 2008 at 10:53pm

Thank you, boxxmaker.  I'm starting to think that's the case with this piece.  I'm new with oil finishes and I guess I'm just surprised at how much a little bowl can absorb. 

Thanks for the follow-up.

IP Logged

Craig_Jackson
WR Preferred Business Sponsor

You can never fail if<br
/>you never give up.<br
/>

Reply #9 - Feb 22nd, 2008 at 7:56am

I only use Danish oil on Walnut. 5 coats over five days wet sanding (on lathe) in each coat with 400 or 600 paper and wipe dry as possible with paper towel.
On 6th coat I do not wipe very dry and leave till next day when I remount on lathe and buff with 0000 steel wool and Ren. wax. Works for me.
As for all other woods, I have came down to using Minwax Wipe on Poly and cut back the final coat after it drys for 5 days with 0000 steel wool.

<div style=
IP Logged

dilligaf4221

Pro Firewood Crafter...

Reply #10 - Feb 22nd, 2008 at 10:26am

I haven't used oils much but I would have to say that finishes really depend on the wood. My example is: The Manzanita that I did only took 4 or 5 coats of wipe on poly and it was done. I currently have a maple burl that I have been finishing for the last 2 weeks, 2 coats of sanding sealer, 3 coats full strength poly, and 8 coats of wipe on poly. I think 1 more will do the trick.

I don't have attention deficit di... can I have a cookie

IP Logged

Craig_Jackson
WR Preferred Business Sponsor

You can never fail if<br
/>you never give up.<br
/>

Reply #11 - Feb 22nd, 2008 at 4:24pm

I have often thought too 'one more coat will do' Grin
« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2008 at 4:25pm by Craig_Jackson »  

<div style=
IP Logged

nuturner
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Feb 25th, 2008 at 9:48pm

Different varieties of Maple will have different characteristics, including porosity.  In fact, I've worked with Maple that had inconsistent porosity characteristics throughout a single piece. Some of the folks I've talked to about it actually use a pre-sealer before applying finish to ensure that the finish penetrates more evenly.  In my experience, Maple doesn't like stain.  OK, perhaps some varieties of Maple will take stain  -  but I haven't found one that I was satisfied with for a stain finish.  I prefer a water based polyurethane for Maple but some oil based polys make a nice finish (Minwax Wipe On Poly) although they do tend to yellow the wood as they cure.
« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2008 at 9:50pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Toni Parker

My heart skips a beat
for My God, my kids and
wood

Reply #13 - Feb 26th, 2008 at 6:21am

Ken Ward wrote on Jan 6th, 2008 at 11:05pm:
I use a mixture of my own,which is a basically a form of danish oil.I always let it set for at least a week before the finish buff,unless I am puting more than one coat,then I will only wait one day between coats.Buffing with 0000 between coats.Then after the last coat I let it set for at least a week,sometimes longer,just depends on how busy I am it doesn't matter if it sets longer.Then I buff with 0000 steel wool then then beal buff.Hope this helps.

Can you share your recipe with me if you do not mind?
Toni

My lathe keeps me broke..All good ....so Have a great day!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print